The teepee for the summer quest bothers me

Songbird21Songbird21 Building ExpertRegistered User Posts: 15 Muffin

I'm part native American and while I appreciate you guys wanting to give a nod to my culture I don't appreciate the way it looks. No real teepee would look like that. It's kind of insulting. In the future, if you're going to use items from my culture could you please make it look more like a real teepee instead of a second grade art project?

Tagged:

Comments

• Susy ElizabethSusy Elizabeth Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 5,984 Lord of the Forums

@Songbird21 said:
    I'm part native American and while I appreciate you guys wanting to give a nod to my culture I don't appreciate the way it looks. No real teepee would look like that. It's kind of insulting. In the future, if you're going to use items from my culture could you please make it look more like a real teepee instead of a second grade art project?

I agree.

_ Shut up and do it._ :)

• AnimalFarmAnimalFarm Building Expert Registered User Posts: 820 Forum Meister

It looks like a child's toy. But the quest has nothing to do with native Americans, so why should it look like a real native American teepee?

• katht75katht75 Goldsmith Registered User Posts: 583 Goldsmith

Without intending to cause offence, it's a game where much happens with quests, buildables etc that are not real/close to reality, it's more about the fun and the aesthetic appeal.

Friend requests welcome, I play daily throughout the day to respond to asks etc
    https://zyngagames.com/profile/37294608163?ztrackRef=my_profile_pic

• Songbird21Songbird21 Building Expert Registered User Posts: 15 Muffin

It can be fun without looking ridiculous. No, the quest has nothing to do with my people but teepees do. That's the issue. I'm not **** about cultural appropriation. I personally think it's nice when people want to explore other cultures. I just want my culture treated with respect.

• Jewels99Jewels99 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1,030 Pet Queen

It is a game. You are not going to see things in the game look like top notch

I don't have issue with it and myself with it a GAME I do not expect things looking like a million bucks or something with the game

With the way Zynga is they make things as they wish. They don't take factors as to how this and that religion or more things feel and more

This is a game.

• Country_Girl_60Country_Girl_60 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 430 Forum Detective

Songbird21, I'm sorry that you're kind of insulted by the Summer Teepee quest. Teepees are often stereo-typically and incorrectly associated with all Native Americans in the United States. The teepee in the quest isn't cone shaped and doesn't have a smoke flap at the top as a "real" teepee would. The quest is a mix and mingle to host icebreaker sessions with Walter. Walter doesn't look very Native American to me. It never occurred to me to associate this quest with that culture. I thought of it more like when we put sheets over furniture when we were kids.

• Irena.PIrena.P Forum Meister Registered User Posts: 4,456 Lord of the Forums

Maybe the FV2 Teepee is more like the Sami (Icelandic ) Teepee, you can hire quite colourful ones for weddings, parties etc. ;) TBH it does look more like a sheets thrown over the furniture and a few broom handles for good measure type of structure....

ADD ME. Zfriends welcome, not adding any new neighbours.

SUPPORT If your in game "contact us" button is missing, use this.

• Pepper19Pepper19 Investigator Registered User Posts: 855 Grand Poohbah

This did not offend me since I viewed it more as children's backyard play structure rather than a tipi (teepee).

• lilmagiclilmagic Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 209 Cupcake Princess

This isn't the first time that Zynga is guilty of cultural appropriation. I don't like it, either.

@lilmagic said:
    This isn't the first time that Zynga is guilty of cultural appropriation. I don't like it, either.

Well, as I said, I don't mind that they used a teepee. I just want it to look more authentic.

@Aussiegilz said:
    I guess the real question is are teepees only a Native American thing? I've seen many a teepee over the years that had nothing to do with Native Americans - are they all offensive cultural appropriation or has the structure just become a generally accepted form outside of the culturally specific use? Also the kids in Farmville do tend to build a lot of the party stuff so it's possible the teepee was built by the second graders for the festivities. Either way I'm not sure how a beige teepee is offensive??

It's not if done properly. I don't see what's so wrong with wanting it to look correct.

• Jewels99Jewels99 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1,030 Pet Queen

This teepee was not native american themed at all. Just a kiddie thing to me.

Many people have posted threads because they don't like it the game does not do their holiday or because they are doing something against their religion or who knows what else and we always come back with same thoughts

THAT this is a GAME not meant to look like real thing with quests or their builds or more or acknowledge everything

I don't know what goes with a lot of the recipes and such myself in real time but hey fun to have odd stuff or that I am not looking for the game to be on what it should look like in a real world

• KJusticeKJustice Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 2,264 Lord of the Forums

This reminds me of the Scottish Fold cat thread where a player was upset that Z would choose this cat considering it is a breed of domestic cat with a natural dominant-gene mutation that affects cartilage throughout the body, causing the ears to fold. Breeding them can cause lifelong incurable diseases and arthritis, but the tepee not looking realistic enough is another story lol..

• AngusMcDAngusMcD Learning the Ropes Registered User Posts: 126 The Pesky Helper

@AnimalFarm said:
    It looks like a child's toy. But the quest has nothing to do with native Americans, so why should it look like a real native American teepee?

Because it is being called a teepee, and not just a tent?

As an indigenous women I had an instant tummy recoil from it too. Just kind of icky. If that makes me a 'snowflake' then I'm good with that. Snowflakes are beautiful and when collected in mass amounts help to water our planet and protect things from the freezing temperatures.

• AnimalFarmAnimalFarm Building Expert Registered User Posts: 820 Forum Meister

@AngusMcD said:

@AnimalFarm said:

Because it is being called a teepee, and not just a tent?

As an indigenous women I had an instant tummy recoil from it too. Just kind of icky. If that makes me a 'snowflake' then I'm good with that. Snowflakes are beautiful and when collected in mass amounts help to water our planet and protect things from the freezing temperatures.

Perhaps they shouldn't have called it a teepee then. But maybe others would've complained if it was called a tent, but that it looked a bit like a teepee.

• Pepper19Pepper19 Investigator Registered User Posts: 855 Grand Poohbah

There is no offense here over the structure nor the name. One can assume that there will always be someone somewhere who will take offense over something :wink: