Share some wisdom with a new player

Super LauraSuper Laura Captain ObviousPosts: 198Registered User Fisherman

So we recently had a low level Farmer join our co-op and even though she is doing amazing, it got me thinking of things we could tell her about to make her game a little easier, things I wish I'd known when I was at her level. I'm quite sure you guys can share loads of helpful nuggets for her, and maybe a few for me as well! ;)

It might be utilising your Inbox efficiently, or how helpful the Temporary Feed can be, anything helpful that a new person may not be aware of. One of the first things I'd mention would be the fact you can drop Farmhands on your crop dryer for extra fuel, or on the kitchen for more Power.

^ That's probably common knowledge for most of you guys, but every time I mention it in co-op chat someone says they didn't know they could do that.

Even if you think it's trivial or common knowledge, there's probably someone here that doesn't know it, and will put that knowledge to good use, no matter how small it may seem to someone else. I've been playing on and off for years and I still learn something new all the time.

I'm sure any advice or tips will be much appreciated, and I can direct her to this topic instead of trying to communicate a lot of information through the co-op chat.

Thanks for reading, and for any contributions you care to make :)

Comments

• newmanmiranewmanmira Lord of the Forums Posts: 8,603Registered User Lord of the Forums

The more sprinklers one has out the better for them. On Quest day, use some of your farm hands to speed grow whatever crop the quest is asking for, unless it's like yesterday's LE crop that blooms in 2 hours. If your doing the ROB, try not to plant any crops that will give you rich product on Monday. The ROB resets and Maria takes everything you have left. For the regular OB, once your co op has met it's goal, keep crafting orders and then discard them. They will come around again in about 2-5 days. Some don't but a lot of them do. It's helped me at times when I desperately needed that last order to finish my board. I can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

• BadWolfRoseBadWolfRose Posts: 301Registered User, Facebook Connect User Unstained Chieftain

The first year I played the game - I spent it very casually playing and pretty much followed the quest lines and didn't do much else besides basic planting and harvesting. And I took a long, long time to level as a result of it.

Then as I've stuck with the game I've learned to focus on ways to maximize my XP. Beyond all the game play strategies which are good, - if she wants move up levels faster - things like maximizing XP crafting with double time on the kiln, sorting by and crafting the highest level XP items, utilizing the high XP trees by letting your visitors harvest them, and stocking the PAB with the highest level XP animals you have and feeding it as often as possible.

Too often the game's quests steer one in the opposite direction from leveling. Harvesting 100 onions and making 50 tomato soups is not maximizing my XP. Rarely is the reward worth the XP lost in not growing the highest XP stuff. Even now as I battle with the Grand Restoration quest, I cringe at the fact that I am losing XP by not planting higher XP crops.

Everyone chooses to play the game differently, but if I was a low-level in this game now, those are the things I'd want to know to help me move up quicker.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words; I scatter them in time and space. A message to lead myself here.

Daily Player, Level 271

ZG | FB

• Colleen MurphyColleen Murphy Lord of the Forums Posts: 7,410Registered User Lord of the Forums
    edited January 2018

@BadWolfRose said:
    The first year I played the game - I spent it very casually playing and pretty much followed the quest lines and didn't do much else besides basic planting and harvesting. And I took a long, long time to level as a result of it.

Then as I've stuck with the game I've learned to focus on ways to maximize my XP. Beyond all the game play strategies which are good, - if she wants move up levels faster - things like maximizing XP crafting with double time on the kiln, sorting by and crafting the highest level XP items, utilizing the high XP trees by letting your visitors harvest them, and stocking the PAB with the highest level XP animals you have and feeding it as often as possible.

Too often the game's quests steer one in the opposite direction from leveling. Harvesting 100 onions and making 50 tomato soups is not maximizing my XP. Rarely is the reward worth the XP lost in not growing the highest XP stuff. Even now as I battle with the Grand Restoration quest, I cringe at the fact that I am losing XP by not planting higher XP crops.

Everyone chooses to play the game differently, but if I was a low-level in this game now, those are the things I'd want to know to help me move up quicker.

She means, I am sure, to let your visits water those trees.
    While we are on trees. ......if you are needing some other kind of tree than what your visitors are hitting, you can harvest the grove, and remove those. Put the trees you need in there, and they will be watered. This comes in real handy for the ROB and quests.
    There are so many things to list, I am sure as this thread moves along, we will all remember something.

• Colleen MurphyColleen Murphy Lord of the Forums Posts: 7,410Registered User Lord of the Forums

Trees do give the best xp, so hit a grove on your top 8 visits. Also gives many coins.Keep a few heirloom groves, and harvest them everyday, you will need those later. And keep otters prized ones, you will need those later also.

• AnimalFarmAnimalFarm Building Expert Posts: 809Registered User Forum Meister

-Only prune full orchards instead of one tree at a time, so you only need 4 pruning shears for 4 trees (but if you have 8, it uses up 8, etc.).

Choose your neighbors carefully....watch your friends feed and add those who you see visiting so you dont have a bunch of neighbors who do not visit. You will need that help...and DO visit your neighbors.

Know your farm does not always play like your friends and neighbors.

• Super LauraSuper Laura Captain Obvious Posts: 198Registered User Fisherman

So much good stuff here! I even learned a couple things myself.

Agreed ^. This is one of the things I do mention in co-op chat if I see someone asking for BB often.

Must say I'm a little peeved to find y'all get to prune trees in a grove for 4 shears, mine ALL cost 16 and always have.. I'm gonna have a grumble to support about this one :D

I'm steering dangerously into high level territory but recently while redecorating my farm I divided my sprinklers into roughly 2 groups of 11-ish in order to make space. Then I noticed that people naturally go for one group or the other, so I left them like that and now I can usually have 2 visitors hitting my sprinklers at once. Speeds things up a little for an impatient farmer like me.

Thanks all, this stuff would be gold to a new player :)

• Christine~~Christine~~ Colossal Titan Slayer Posts: 921Registered User On Fire

If you're short on coins (early expansions can easily wipe out your bank), and you're in an awesome co-op with upper level players who don't mind sharing their stockpiles... ask for products that you can sell for big coins. You do not have to have an item unlocked to ask for it. For example.... go into the general store, click on trees and find heirloom clove tree. Hover over the tree and you will see on the right side "used in these recipes" ---click on one of the recipes--- when the recipe pops up click on "call my co-op" and request the cloves. If 5 co-op members help, those 50 cloves will sell for $372,100. Just make sure you ask for things that you know the majority of your co-op has unlocked. You can do this for seed items too, but tree goods sell for much more $.

• cmf2205cmf2205 Posts: 2,945Registered User, Facebook Connect User Lord of the Forums

@Super Laura said:
    So much good stuff here! I even learned a couple things myself.

Must say I'm a little peeved to find y'all get to prune trees in a grove for 4 shears, mine ALL cost 16 and always have.. I'm gonna have a grumble to support about this one :D

It still says 16 or 24 but only takes 4. Don't have more than 7 and try to prune a grove. If you have all of them, it'll take all that it says it needs. You may not want to share that nugget with support.

Oh @Christine~~ that's such a clever idea! @cmf2205 This is the kind of stuff that most of us learn the hard way, or by experience or in my case, don't learn at all haha. I'd have played on endlessly with empty groves waiting for shears, like I have for years lmao. That one little tip will make a HUGE difference for me, thank you!

Luckily there wasn't time for a grumble to support earlier, so I won't do it now (assuming it will work on my farm ofc). My lips are sealed! :|

• Vicky GalVicky Gal Investigator Posts: 887Registered User Grand Poohbah

What makes it more valuable is to store all your elder trees and sell them for shears - one at a time as you need them.

B)

@Vicky Gal said:
    What makes it more valuable is to store all your elder trees and sell them for shears - one at a time as you need them.

You may need those elder trees ! If you ever get a 24 hour water, you get lots of xp, wood,rubber and ROB stuff.

I'd also add: When you start earning certificates and insta-bloom machines, it's a good idea to put a little thought and planning into how you're going to use them.

Most certs and in some cases the Instablooms cannot be used with other boosts, however the Hungry Animal cert is almost always an exception (for me anyway, I really hope it is the same for everyone). If you're using a bigger water cert like the 24 hour one, you'll probably only make it a couple hours and be looking for fertiliser for the abundant amount of stuff you just watered, so I always use the Hungry Animal one at the same time.

Also about the Hungry Animal cert. Decide some priorities rather than just spam feeding everything. Why? Because they will prize so quickly that by the time the cert is done that's probably all you will have left, a lot of prized animals.

As a rule I usually don't touch my chicken trough as I have plenty, and I still want something left unprized when my cert is over. It is almost inevitable though if you're using it to stock up that after it is done, you will have next to no animals left on your farm, and it will take a little for you to 'rebuild'.

Plan ahead a little, raise a lot of longer lasting animals that drop more items if possible (cows, horses, sheep etc), why use your cert on animals that drop one cheese, when you could have them dropping 3. Raise those big droppers and then take an extra 24 hours to stock up on baby bottles ( @Colleen Murphy provided a link on exactly how to do that earlier on this thread). Then you'll be as prepared as you possibly can to make the most of your cert.

I'm sure someone will come along and improve on everything I just said lol.. Please hurry though I wanna use a cert :D:D

edited February 2018

Oh and one more thing about the Animal cert - You will have loads and loads of fertiliser, don't let it go to waste! If you plan ahead leave your water fields or plots empty, spam those cranberries and blitz everyone at the county fair (if you so desire), earn that xp and stock up at the same time.

Lastly (ikr so much) you are gonna use loads of feed, make sure you are very, very stocked with something to feed all those critters with for 24 hours.

• MsChaosMsChaos Goldsmith Posts: 792Registered User Aged to Perfection

Power certs also can be activated with the water certs. So when you are planning, you might want to stock up on onions, heirloom/nonheirloom lemons, nonheirloom apples for apple juice (there are one or two apple recipes that don't have an heirloom option as well but come up in play). Plant and harvest TONS of wheat so you can make flour and dough, the recipes that use them will only be 1 or 2 power if you have the basic ingredients crafted.

Speaking of basic ingredients, let me mention flasks...when you have that water cert active, plant blueberries. Lots. If you are using your fields, don't even bother fertilizing them. Also have those onions around, and make sure you have some of both heirloom and non olives around. Then, every day, go make some blue dye, or some magenta dye, or some heirloom or non olive oil. Use up your flasks and ask for more, daily. You will use them a lot, either for expansion recipes or crafts (OMG, all those baseball mitts). And it's really, really nice, when you have to make something that takes more than 12 flasks and you already have a few dozen blue or magenta dyes or olive oils in your inventory.

• Susy ElizabethSusy Elizabeth Lord of the Forums Posts: 5,901Registered User Lord of the Forums

Raising a hundred Cochins also works well for the water certificate.

_ Shut up and do it._ :)

edited February 2018

Don't have a lot of time to spend on this but I wanted to share some stuff about the Fair.

Some people compete, others don't, it's up to you whether you participate or not. I like the competition and something to strive for, I also like the visitors you get from being at the top of the neighbours bar. So...

When harvesting prize crops it's all about the time they take to grow and nothing to do with levels. If your mastery is the same, you get the same prize points for a strawberry as you do for arrowroot or brussel sprout.

The longer the crop takes, the higher the prized points will usually be. The following topic is a little old but still accurate I believe, and it will explain what I mean in more detail:

http://zyngaplayerforums.com/farmville2/discussion/3162011/state-fair-points-crops-trees-and-pedigrees

Also, if you produce 20,000 points in any given week, the next week you will be put in a league with other people who produced 20,000 (I actually think it's a 2 week average, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my point remains the same). So in order to progress, you need to be improving your numbers by at least a little, every week.

Upgrade, expand, harvest your neighbours 24 hour crops, prize more animals, there are loads of ways to improve your output each week, stay competitive and keep progressing.

Lastly, my 'tip' if it qualifies as one lol. For the first 5 days of the Fair I really don't worry too much about my placing on the ladder. Day 6 I will start to prepare for the Pipping at the Post. Yes capital letters, yes it's a Thing lol. If you can arrange it, you want to level on the last day, in fact I'll pour a LOT into the last day.

I'll spam the cranberries and visit everyone for prized goods, I won't craft one darn thing unless I have some kindling for it. I'll have saved my level up if it was at all possible, I'll breed some horses and cows if I have to, I'll use my speed grow if I have enough. All on the last day.

I do occasionally buy a shovel, I know its zynga's cash cow and I really don't like buying them, but if you choose to buy them I suggest trying to only buy one on the last day. (If you buy one everyday, you will have to continue doing so in order to progress but honestly, you don't have to).

So I'll have wallowed at the bottom of the ladder all week and then suddenly boom, I've got a shovel and I've gone off like a firecracker ahaha! I usually manage to come first, I've only not progressed once and that was because I didn't have time to play. I'm Titan and I stay there by continuing to improve my output every week.

Have to admit this is one of the rare times my timezone is an advantage on a game. I'm Australian so while y'all are sleeping I'm snekking my way to #1.. Sorry! (Not sorry :D )

I'm sure others have better and more useful tips to share on the Fair, that's all just my experience and my methods ^, as others have said, find what you enjoy and what works for you.

Oh almost forgot.. Thread stickied yay!! Cheers mods, glad some people find it helpful! :):)