Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Are Our Playing Options After Dec. 2020 (when flash ends)?

musicalcatmusicalcat Gabby EnthusiastRegistered User Posts: 375 Social Snowflake

I keep seeing messages that flash will no longer be supported after December 2020. What will our options be for playing Farmville?
I'll definitely quit if we can only play on our phones.
Will Gameroom still work? I rarely use it, but it's better than the phone.

Comments

• Sandy7226Sandy7226 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 8,716 Lord of the Forums

No one knows what will happen, there are lots of rumors but no facts. I do not believe the GameRoom will work, it has it's own browser, but still uses Flash.

• royalpainsroyalpains Forum Traveller Registered User Posts: 212 Cupcake Princess

Google Chrome has an extension you can download that helps avoid the flash issue. I have never had issues with gameroom so I don't see why it would not work.

• musicalcatmusicalcat Gabby Enthusiast Registered User Posts: 375 Social Snowflake

Thanks, I hope there will be an option by that time!

• SyFy FarmergirlSyFy Farmergirl Social Snowflake Registered User Posts: 286 Unstained Chieftain

@royalpains said:
    Google Chrome has an extension you can download that helps avoid the flash issue. I have never had issues with gameroom so I don't see why it would not work.

The extension or Gameroom won't solve the problem. Flash will be completely removed from the internet after December 31st. Anything that relies on Flash to run--including Farmville--will no longer work as of January 1, 2021.

The only way we'll be able to keep playing is if the game is converted from Flash to Html5 or Webgl. If Zynga doesn't do that... Farmville is over. :(

• musicalcatmusicalcat Gabby Enthusiast Registered User Posts: 375 Social Snowflake
    edited September 7

Actually, I'm starting to feel that I won't really miss the game if it goes away. So many things on the farm no longer work properly, and it's just not much fun anymore. I keep playing because I've been playing almost from the beginning (back when there was one farm, only a few trees, and the coolest thing was a pink or green cow), so it's easier to keep going than to quit, but if I'm forced to give it up by the game ending, I don't think I'll miss it much. Might go back to Farm Town if it still works, but I might not even do that.

• FarmerJeffFarmerJeff Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1 Not a Title, but a Star

So I played the game in the beginning when it was popular, unfortunate for me back then I did not know much about the internet and the different farmville communities out there. So progressing used to be slow as i only had a few players who played. However, now its actually very fun to play! I joined a few fb groups met some cool people who shared tips and tricks for others to use and succeed in farmville. IF you look at other popular farming games you'll see that FARMVILLE actually has one of the best simple farming games out there. I consider this game to be kind of like minecraft where the possibilities are endless. I strongly feel that if farmville goes to another platform like steam or if they make there own like many companies do to promote their games first. I think farmville will be re awoken. I myself recently started playing again after like what 7 years and it is really fun! Farmville has one of the biggest amount of items to collect(animals, tree's, buildings, Decorations, etc) they also always have events going, which is a big plus. Events and quests, keep people busy and playing the game more actively as they want to complete them to earn the awesome rewards. I would love to keep playing this game! This game is unique in the sense of endless collectibles. Ways they could maybe get more revenue with farmville is have type of gamepass to get unique rewards. A lot of gamers I know would love to play this game if it did not involve being on fb. Fb as a gaming platform is long gone. Farmville should honestly move to other platforms like steam, epicgames, etc (not sure how viable this is). Thats my thoughts, wanted to express my love for the game, hope it stays!

• royalpainsroyalpains Forum Traveller Registered User Posts: 212 Cupcake Princess

I think People need to give zynga a chance. Everyone assumes they won't do anything but this game is one of their most popular. no way are they going to let their money maker go without a fight. They will find something. They have a few months.

• Sparky0Sparky0 On Fire Registered User Posts: 761 Aged to Perfection

@royalpains said:
    I think People need to give zynga a chance. Everyone assumes they won't do anything but this game is one of their most popular. no way are they going to let their money maker go without a fight. They will find something. They have a few months.

I'm not so sure. They have put out 24 farms since what they call "recent news concerning Adobe Flash Player removal from web browsers". They really should have started worrying about this 23 farms ago. Granted pretty much every farm is the same with different cartoons so it may not be too hard.

• Mule DriverMule Driver Chocolatier Registered User Posts: 58 This Space is Available

None. No options. They just announced the game is ending on December 31, so say goodbye to all your work and money.

• SyFy FarmergirlSyFy Farmergirl Social Snowflake Registered User Posts: 286 Unstained Chieftain

No options. It can't be played on browsers, Gameroom, or phones. No Flash = no Farmville.

• kmbkmb Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1 Not a Title, but a Star

I'M NEW TO THE FORUM, BUT NOT NEW TO THIS GAME. IF ZYNGA SITS BY W/O DOING EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN TO SAVE FV, THEY NEED TO BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. I'M DISABLED W/ LIMITED FUNDS, BUT HAVE SPENT A TON OF MONEY TO GET MY FARMS. I'VE INVESTED SO MUCH MONEY, & TIME, EXPANDING MY FARMS. I'VE EVEN GOTTEN TO WERE I'VE BEEN ABLE TO BUILD A "NEST EGG" OF FV CASH FOR SPECIAL ITEMS, ETC. I WAS ALSO SMART ENOUGH TO JOIN THE VIP PROGRAM WHICH HAS HELPED SO MUCH. TO ALLOW LOYAL, LONG TERM PLAYERS TO LOSE OUR FARMS & FUNDS IS A CRIME. I HOPE ZYNGA STEPS UP TO HELP US, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOT. IF THEY WANT TO LET US DOWN LIKE THAT, THEY SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO STAY IN BUSINESS. AND, IT CLEARLY WILL PROVE THAT THEY NEVER CARED ABOUT THE PLAYERS...JUST THE MONEY. :'(

@Mule Driver said:
    None. No options. They just announced the game is ending on December 31, so say goodbye to all your work and money.

I think that message was from Facebook, not Zynga (people on Dirt Farmer are saying it appears above every game that uses Flash), but I don't have much confidence that Zynga is going to make the transition in time. As Sparky, kmb, and others have pointed out, we've known for over a year that Flash would end at that time. Seems like if they were going to find a solution, they should have done so by now.

• PholcidesPholcides Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1 Not a Title, but a Star

Deciding to end Farmville is ridiculous, it's one of the most popular games around, so many people play it and so many spent money in it too. Personally I find it very relaxing, even if I think it really went downhill in the last years - too many farms, too many unresolved bugs etc. I kept playing in the first farms ignoring all the others (just Home, England, the first Winter farm and Lighthouse Cove), there was this atmosphere of the "good old times" lol.
    I think we should all write protest email to Zynga... almost sure nothing will change, but it would be a try.

I saw on one of Dirt Farmer's pages that their representative spoke to Zynga, and Zynga is still working on a solution. Said Zynga should be able to tell us "soon." So the game might not be going away.

• GotoGirlGotoGirl Not a Title, but a Star Registered User Posts: 2 Not a Title, but a Star

I too am upset that FV will go away, I have been playing for over 11 years and had a vip subscription, I did cancel this as I don't want to put more money into the game if infact it is going away. It is more than upsetting for all the hours I have spent playing the games. surely they will come up with something so we can continue to play. I wish they would at least announce something to let all the players have some hope that it will not be taken away

• ttrevino42ttrevino42 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1 Not a Title, but a Star

So what do you think they will do about all of the farm cash I have purchased & still holding? Are we just going to lose it? I've been a VIP member since the program first started and have been playing the game from day 1 (upon the demise of Farm Town :neutral: ). I would be ok with transferring my cash over to a game of my choice, but to just lose it seems unfair. I'll keep reading, maybe someone has addressed this elsewhere. :smile:

OMG they have NOT put out 24 farms since then. Exaggerate much? GIVE THEM TIME!

edited September 20

@royalpains said:
    OMG they have NOT put out 24 farms since then. Exaggerate much? GIVE THEM TIME!

Actually no, I don't exaggerate at all. Not my thing. No one who does science does that. I actually counted them. I didn't include Coastal Countryside since I didn't think that it was fully out when they put that announcement up. It's actually 25 though.

Here are the facts.
    It was announced in July 2017.
    https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Straights of Ardor was the current farm at that time, early access started on July 17, 2017. Since then they have put out:
    1 Samba in Rio
    2 Shadow Creek
    3 A Winter Noel
    4 Alba Toscana
    5 Emberhills
    6 Pelican Reef
    7 Pavlozny Festival
    8 Frontier Trail
    9 Old World Expedition
    10 Castle Kaputstone
    11 A Winter Fable
    12 Magic of Morocco
    13 Ancient Saga
    14 Long Island Jamboree
    15 Alaska Summer
    16 Coco Wonderland
    17 Highland Adventure
    18 Spook O Ween
    19 Santa's Secret Village
    20 Harvest Valley
    21 Madagascar Trails
    22 Bora Bora Isles
    23 The Bloom Garden
    24 Maple Frontier
    25 Coastal Countryside

• AgentOrange55AgentOrange55 Mazter Guardian Registered User Posts: 488 Colossal Titan Slayer

@ttrevino42 said:
    So what do you think they will do about all of the farm cash I have purchased & still holding? Are we just going to lose it? I've been a VIP member since the program first started and have been playing the game from day 1 (upon the demise of Farm Town :neutral: ). I would be ok with transferring my cash over to a game of my choice, but to just lose it seems unfair. I'll keep reading, maybe someone has addressed this elsewhere. :smile:

FV cash at this point, will be gone. It is possible that Zynga might give a credit towards one of their other games, for people left with FV cash.....but most likely FV cash will be gone.

• AgentOrange55AgentOrange55 Mazter Guardian Registered User Posts: 488 Colossal Titan Slayer

@royalpains said:

Realistically, there is no way they could convert FV to a non-flash version in 3 months. It's not going to be possible. At best, maybe they could transition the original farm and a limited amount of features, but I doubt that will happen. They made the decision quite some time ago to not convert FV. Maybe they are 2nd guessing that decision now, since FV2 never took off the way they had hoped, but their options are pretty limited at this point, due to lack of time.

One of my FB friends posted a letter they had received when they wrote FV support--the letter they received said that the decision to end FV was final. This is different, from what DF was told...possibly upper management is now rethinking the decision, but the lower staff in CS still has the original message that they were told that FV is ending.

My guess on likely options:

1) Zynga decides to start a new FV classic game, it would start with the original farm and limited features, just as the original FV game started. All accounts would be new, nothing carried over, including farmcash.

2) Zynga decides to host their own server running flash. I'm not sure if they could actually do this due to copyright of flash. Zynga would have to write the game platform themselves, since no browsers will run flash. This would be expensive for Zynga to run, so the server would be available under a subscription fee only. All accounts would most likely be ported over (FV cash may or may not be.)

Sadly, I do think the most likely option at this point is Zynga will let FV die. :(

You don't know what they are doing or how long they have been working on it. That is not what FV support told ME when I emailed them. So I am not sure your friend contacted Zynga. I am willng to give them a chance. They say they are working on it and I see no reason for them to lie. They know we are not stupid.

@royalpains said:
    You don't know what they are doing or how long they have been working on it. That is not what FV support told ME when I emailed them. So I am not sure your friend contacted Zynga. I am willng to give them a chance. They say they are working on it and I see no reason for them to lie. They know we are not stupid.

While I admire your determination about the game continuing you really need to stop telling people that their friends are lying and that they are exaggerating. It's not our fault that Zynga is discontinuing your favorite game. You don't have the right to take it out on the rest of the world. That's just being childish.
    All Zynga has publicly stated was that they will keep the game running until the end of the year. Read that link that I posted above. Adobe Flash player will no longer work as of Dec. 31. You won't be able to play it on Gameroom, that game archive, etc. It will be gone unless Zynga changes their mind or if they sell it to someone else who can do something with it. Their stock price is actually surging. They have plenty of non-Facebook games that are doing just fine. They may not want to invest any more money into FV. I do hope that they will sell it though like they did with Yoville. My sister still plays that game and has a lot of friends from the original batch that she played with all those years ago. It has its moments, but having people who know how to code running it made a big difference as well.

• EiwoyEiwoy Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 1 Not a Title, but a Star

I am devastated. I have been playing this game for over a decade.When I think of the hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours that I have invested in this game,it breaks my heart.

Well, it's official that they are shutting it down on Dec. 31. According to them, "We look forward to you joining us in Farmville 2: Tropic Escape and the upcoming worldwide launch of FarmVille 3 on mobile."
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
    I hope that they aren't holding their breath waiting for that to happen. No, actually, I hope they are. ;)

• whereismelvinwhereismelvin Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 22 Building Expert

Zilch Nada Nothing..... Really upset and angry. They would have known and should have sorted it long ago. Started playing at the beginning what a shame! ;)

Yeah, I don't like playing games like this on a small screen, so I won't be joining FV3. I might see if SongPop or Farm Town are still up (haven't played either in years), and if not, just not start any new games.