Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop saving your Mastery Signs

Comments

• illdocilldoc The Chosen One Registered User Posts: 1,152 Assassin
    edited August 2015
    I've been doing it like this: "Spend" 120 SDBs building a 2nd billboard with space up to 50 (I only have room for about 60 items in my giftbox), transfer 50 signs from one billboard to the other, delete the 2nd billboard, the 50 signs pop-up in my giftbox and I delete them 6 at a time (select all on page, delete, repeat). It's quicker for me than moving them to the farm, then clicking store, then going to storage and deleting them 1 at a time from there. I'm good as long as my SDBs hold out (and my patience :) )
  • darqladydarqlady The Boss Registered User Posts: 1,321 Cream Corn Champion
    edited August 2015
    I can't see how waiting for Z to do it is going to hurt. They are getting rid of signs AND billboards so why are you thinking they will go into the gift box? They will vanish off the farm period.... I agree there might be a few stragglers, but I haven't looked at the various "part" codes for the signs. If they are logically named, they shouldn't be hard to delete. Yes I know... if they can find a way, they will mess it up... But I am an optimist... Hence... I am storing some signs still and selling others. And yes, all should vanish, but I am having separation anxiety over my crop signs!
  • Mimi48Mimi48 Guru of Mayhem Registered User Posts: 647 Mazter Guardian
    edited August 2015
    I don't save mastery signs and I never built the sign boards...What makes me nervous is Zynga messing around with any of the codes regardless of what it says..I took screen shot's of all my farms. August 24th rolls around and I'll be holding my breath. I have 5 signs left and that's because I can't delete or sell them...
  • pianoplayer88keypianoplayer88key The Chosen One Registered User Posts: 1,403 The Boss
    edited August 2015
    I've deleted the vast majority of my signs. I've kept a few though, like the first crop I ever mastered (Asparagus, at the time it was the highest level crop available I think), the original super pumpkins (the sign originally said something like "Amazing! RARE! Super pumpkins mastered!") , the other super pumpkins mastery sign, and a couple goji berry mastery signs (yes I have 2 of the same). Also, in the market, in decorations, look at the 2nd item on the 2nd row, 57th page, under "all". :) It's a mastery sign for Clock Spire Stalks ... and I haven't harvested a single one. :p
  • Cochise1520Cochise1520 Assassin Registered User Posts: 946 On Fire
    edited August 2015
    This is the dumbest thing I ever read. Some people actually like the signs and took the time to build the billboards to put them in. The signs are not the problem its the popups that say you mastered abc. Take away the signs and billboards you still have the NOTICES. That's putting a band aid on a tourniquet. You want to put least pressure on the servers then stop pumping out those useless farms. Enough is enough! You're on farmville overload. That slow craftshop with the stopping stalling and popups is worst on the servers then any mastery signs or billboard and it never works right. Put out items instead of farms make the game enjoyable again and watch how much revenue you generate. People don't play because its too much!!
  • farmerdoofusfarmerdoofus Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,363 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2015
    Dirt Farmer recently had a podcast with Zynga. Here is a portion of the transcript:

"Z - let me start off by saying the primary reason why players are seeing performance related issues in the game, it's because of the memory that is required to run the game on the player's machines. Right. This is especially true with players who have slightly older computers and are more likely to face these issues. So what we are doing is focusing on this specific area on memory needed to run the game, with some urgency. And we're making some changes that will reduce the memory needed to run it. To talk about a couple of changes that we're looking at currently one we are planning to remove mastery signs from the game. Players will still be able to see the mastery level of all the items they have mastered just that we will not have separate mastery signs. This is expected to reduce the memory needed to run the game by a large extent. We are also looking at cleaning up some of the old quests and the game that are expired, cleaning up some of the items that are no longer being used. This should free up some additional memory. Now all these changes will take time to roll out we expect that it will roll out within a month or so. After that players should expect to see improvement in the game just in terms of the slowness and the freezing and the lag.

While we are doing all of this we're also looking to build a self help tool for players who are not able to load the game at all. Now what this tool will do basically is perform some of the basic cleanup actions that our support folks perform together that what you're doing a great deal on players machines when they contact them for these loading issues. We'll make this tool available to our players so they can run it themselves, and we'll make it available in such a way that they can run it may few minutes and this should greatly increase the chances of solving the loading issues. So these are a couple of the ways that we think will address performance issues.

DF - okay so you said you're going to be removing mastery signs from the game. How is that going to work because people have done all over their farms and they have them in storage, they have them in billboards are people going to have to delete those or what is going to happen?

Z - Not to get into too many details because it's still under design and implementation, but nothing is expected from players in terms of manual actions, it will all be done by the game, but we will definitely give players significant heads up before we start doing it.

DF - okay that's good to know because we don't want them wondering what's going on what's going to happen where their mastery signs went. With the performance issues and reducing memory a lot of the recent farms have a huge background around them. Is anything going to be done with that so they don't have to load so many graphics that they can't actually use?

Z - so we are looking at that for some of the upcoming expansions as a matter of fact the background that is used in Africa compared to other expansions of a lot lighter, just in terms of the memory needed to render the background. So we definitely know that the background causes some of these memory constraints and we are working on those and we are keeping that in mind for upcoming expansions" (expansions in Zynga speak means new farms)
  • farmerdoofusfarmerdoofus Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,363 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2015
    Mimi48 wrote: »
    I have 5 signs left and that's because I can't delete or sell them...

Have you tried building a new billboard to its starting size and putting the signs in it then selling the billboard with the signs inside? The signs will go to your gift box. I have found defective signs can be sold from the gift box.
    edited August 2015
    It would be nice to slow down a bit more although I DO like the new farms... But I spent all of my farming time this weekend decorating and that was fun ( since all my quests were done and I am awaiting intuitive compasses... not much is out there driving specific planting... so I had fun making animal feed and pots and rakes and such to level up and clean out babies and such - so zynga... make them 10 or 12 week cycles instead of 8...Think how much less you have to design??? You can still have quests... you can make more travel to the various farm quests... perhaps among the latest 3 or 4... slow it down....

But back to signs... it would be nice to be able to keep some.... like the ones ON the farms...
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the idea Farmer..I think I'll try that.... :)
    edited August 2015
    I have favorite signs I would have kept if it were possible. The problem is that each of us would have widely different choices for favorites and the game would have to remember all of them. That's why it is a memory and speed issue. Even after we dispose of them ourselves, the memory of them remains and we can buy them back. That equates to tens of thousands of signs for all the possible masteries the game has to remember. Once that burden is removed, it is possible the game could function better.
    edited August 2015
    Oh! I didn't know we could buy them back! I did keep 3 of them from Winter wonderland and the Gnome one. All the others I sold. Thanks for the thumbs up!
  • illdocilldoc The Chosen One Registered User Posts: 1,152 Assassin
    edited August 2015
    But once mastery signs are "officially" gone, will the "buy a sign" option still be there?
    edited August 2015
    illdoc wrote: »
    But once mastery signs are "officially" gone, will the "buy a sign" option still be there?

No. that's the whole point of removing them. Once they are gone, they are gone for good. We will only be able to see mastery lists but not individual signs anymore.
  • MouseWranglerMouseWrangler Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,936 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2015
    Even though I know the signs are being removed I just can't bring myself to delete any. I worked so hard to get them all. :(

Alas, I will get used to it though. My only concern is how long will it take Team India to properly and fully alter the mastery tabs so that everything, across all farms, can be viewed?
    edited August 2015
    I am ignoring the issue... I am enjoying the ones I have decorating. hmm I should take some screen shots....with the helpful snippet tool, not the zynga camera.... I am deleting animals and trees in my gift box as I get, still stowing craft and seed... yes... it is hard to part...
  • theofarmertheofarmer Grasshopper Registered User Posts: 37
    edited August 2015
    I am so very proud of all my 5 star mastery signs and I worked very hard to get them.

If Zynga even touches one of them, I am gone immediately.

Never ever going to play FarmVille anymore, "thank" you very much!

And what a BS about some signs on a farm. A farm has over 7000 things to load.
    What difference do around 30 5 star signs mean ?? Again, I find this total BS.

And I am very sorry that I have to say that, I always loved FarmVille and I still do.
    But if you touch just one of mine, then I am gone...
  • theogruyterstheogruyters Cloudylicious Registered User Posts: 95
    edited August 2015
    edited August 2015
    It does not matter if a single farmer has zero signs or all of them. The game is forced to remember all of them at all times anyway, at least until they no longer exist. Everybody is in the same boat on this. I guess I am not surprised the August 24 target date was missed, but the signs are going away game-wide, and soon. I look forward to their removal. They are such a burden. I sure would not want people to quit over it. We all put in extraordinary amounts of work for many of them, but as long as mastery lists are accurate and complete, the game will still keep a record of those masteries.
  • Sandy7226Sandy7226 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 8,716 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2015
    Those of you that are quitting over this will be sorely missed, however your place will be taken by the thousands that will now be able to load there game more quickly and with fewer crashes.

As farmerdoofus explained it isn't the number of mastery signs that you do or don't have it is the thousands upon thousands of masteries that exist in the game.
  • Sandy7226Sandy7226 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 8,716 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2015
    Here is a quote from Dirt Farmer:

"Each time you load your farm, the game must check the game code for every single item that exists in it to determine what you have on that farm . Currently there are roughly 70,000 items that the game has to look for every time you load every farm and determine which you have. approximately 22,000 of these items are mastery signs. Removal of mastery signs will reduce what your computer is looking for by almost one third - and this will have a significant impact on how easy your farm is to load and play."

http://www.farmvilledirt.com/2015/08/mastery-sign-removal-from-game-what-you.html

The new date is August 31st.
    edited August 2015
    I have a busy day at work August 31. Usually I dread that, but this time I am glad I will be too busy to watch this trainwreck. I hope it goes well, but my pessimistic side thinks it will be farmageddon.
    edited August 2015
    Honestly I don't expect them to go on the 31st, but I think some people might get the one week warning pop up. We will have to wait and see. It is supposed to be a very slow roll out so there shouldn't be a big issue, but we all know how that goes. LOL
    edited August 2015
    I am also betting that we will see a huge reaction once they are gone from players wondering what happened to their signs.
  • musicalchefmusicalchef Mazter Guardian Registered User Posts: 410
    edited September 2015
    September 7 and mine are still around
  • Julio FarmerJulio Farmer Clueless Cookie Registered User Posts: 26
    edited September 2015
    Yes, we are not receiving new mastery signs, farms load as terrible as always, our billboards still present and the masteries at "my mastery" displayed in the same crude and awful manner.

Glory to Zynga's Team India and their brilliant solutions!
  • elmopaloozaelmopalooza Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 951
    edited September 2015
    Yeah my billboards are still there too. Mastery Signs no longer appearing in GB though. Farm loads fine for me. Maybe it's your computer?
    edited September 2015
    The items are still present in the game so it needs to make the reading checks despite you have or not have them so if you're computer is now running faster surely its not due to the removal
    edited September 2015
    In other words. There are about 22.000 mastery signs present in the game. When you load any farm the game should check if those items are present or not. It doesnt matter if they are present or not in the loading farm, the check must be done always.

Since the mastery signs are still present at the game, its completely impossible your computer is now loading faster beacuase the check is still done like after.
  • Farmer ClydeFarmer Clyde Grand Poohbah Registered User Posts: 914 On Fire
    edited September 2015
    I thought ZING-GA was going to delete all of these on the 1st?
    edited September 2015
    Nope. I have not seen anyone say their signs are gone yet. Maybe this week?

My farms are faster as of the latest update this afternoon. I wonder if any signs are being removed now or if they just fixed Spooky Wolves.