Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mastery Billboards: Why Keep Them?

siouxdaxsiouxdax Captain ObviousRegistered User Posts: 30
edited January 2014 in FarmVille Discussion
I'm thinking the same thing. I was all enthused at first but they didn't turn out to be quite what I had expected and I agree, the display is disappointing. Since I no longer have neighbors who visit anyway, I'm the only one who sees it and as it isn't giving me much satisfaction, it may be dumped very shortly. Luckily, since I had such a hard time getting the parts for the first one, I never built any more of them.

So far, I have kept only my crop mastery signs and sold all the others. I am especially quick to sell the ones that are locked to various farms as that just irritates me to no end!

Mastery Billboards: Are They Worth It? 20 votes

Yes! They make a good impression.
20% 4 votes
Eh, some like them, some don't.
35% 7 votes
No! No one cares and they just take up space.
45% 9 votes

Comments

• JellyZJellyZ Cream Corn Champion Registered User Posts: 1,043
    edited January 2014
    When I first started farming, I kept all the mastery signs along the perimeter of my plots. I'm a bit OCD so I needed to see my crop mastery signs (so that I know I've mastered those crops) and of course I lined them up by colour and kind (veggies, flowers, etc).

And then things grew and grew and so I started using the Mastery Billboard because otherwise it takes me forever to load my farm.
    And then we have more farms, so I built more Billboards. And then, we have even more farms, and I threw my hands in the air and go:"what???"

I still keep the new farm's mastery signs (since there aren't that many crops I've mastered on them due to the fact there are now so many farms and so many crops and no coin expansions) on each individual farm, sometimes it's really hard because the mastery signs aren't labeled for each crop in the giftbox...so I often placed the wrong mastery sign in the wrong farm, and can't move it yet because I haven't 'beaten' the farm to get shared storage... and then by the time I got the shared storage, I've forgotten about them.

But yeah, there is no real reason to keep the signs nor the Billboards. I just did it 'cos I like the signs. But I see no real practical reason to keeping them. In fact, selling them can earn you a few coins?
  • siouxdaxsiouxdax Captain Obvious Registered User Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Good to see that I'm not alone in thinking they sort of worthless. I've got all three billboards on my Home Farm, and two in England. I try to fit them into my decorating scheme, as I'm a big diorama freak, so everything has to be "just so". My cursor is hovering over "sell" at this point, but I'll wait until we see some more input on this post.

Thanks folks!
  • Goat HearderGoat Hearder Captain Obvious Registered User Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    I think the Billboards themselves are worth putting up.
    I've got the Tree Crop and Animal boards up at the back of my home farm.
    I assume none of my neighbours are interested in my rate of mastery progress but I at least like the summary of the complete mastery.
    I've sold the recipe and craft mastery or locked to farms signs as I'm either not interested showing them or there pointless(you mastered spinning cotton reels in the Yarn Barn)

I've been reducing my gift box down to 500 unique items and I'm almost there so it was easier to hang the signs on the boards then sell them all for 500.
  • chittchitt Unstained Chieftain Registered User Posts: 277
    edited January 2014
    I sell them off when I get time to clear the gift box. $500 per sign, and you can always buy them back later.
  • MouseWranglerMouseWrangler Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,936 Lord of the Forums
    edited January 2014
    I'm a mastery hound so I love them boards - keeps all my pretty little signs nice and compact. :D
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Forum Meister Suspended User Posts: 690 Dedicated Go Getter
    edited January 2014
    Like the OP, I built them up on my HF which took quite a bit of time. However, when I realized that not ALL Mastery Signs could go into the HF and that I'd have to build yet another set *maybe more) on the other farms, I lost interest.

When I found out I could sell the mastery signs for 500 coins each, I started selling them off.

There are some which cannot be sold though so they just remain in storage.

Now, I can understand why some folks want them but I just do not have the need. Heck, I don't even care about mastery anymore since its not like it takes any skill to complete. Just time.
  • Richard ReidRichard Reid Assassin Registered User Posts: 921
    edited January 2014
    I've been selling off all my mastery signs since I started.
  • rnbw flwrrnbw flwr Mazter Guardian Registered User Posts: 544 Enthusiastic Expert
    edited January 2014
    I just wish that all mastery signs can be stored in one place. I don't want each and every farm with a signboard. So please Zynga don 't lock the mastery signs
  • PaganiZondaPaganiZonda The Boss Registered User Posts: 1,194 Assassin
    edited January 2014
    Here is my logic...

1) You either sell/delete your signs in which case having Billboards is pretty useless. If you do keep your signs, then having Billboards makes perfect sense. It's a given that Billboards are not a decorative item and don't make an impression for the most part.

2) The billboards have a 5000 storage capacity each. I have four on my Home Farm. That is 20,000 spaces to store these mastery signs, which seem to have no end in sight!

3) Storing mastery signs in the storage cellar will eventually make you run out of space for other items. Also, they are easier to work with within the Billboards. Placing signs on the Farm is okay but it will greatly impact loading times. Hence the best place for them is inside the Billboards. The Billboards do not take up much space. You can always put a big building in front of them to hide them from regular view.

4) Now comes the tricky part... the part where Zynga being a control freak is LOCKING things to specific farms! Most new farms have around 30-35 new crops and the regular assortment of animals, so you really can get away without having to construct full-fledged Billboards. If you BUY animals and are a mastery freak you will have a problem and you may have to set up additional Billboards on all your farms.

5) Otherwise, you can either choose to simply display your 35 to 60 mastery signs or even store them. Special Delivery boxes help expand storage on each farm to 1250 spaces and most folks don't have too much junk in them to begin with. So in the interest of loading times, simply go ahead and STORE these LOCKED mastery signs.

6) Selling Billboards is a bad idea I believe. All the signs end up back in your giftbox -- thousands and thousands of signs that have to be individually dealt with. So if you HAVE Billboards, just let them be. It is easier to move a sign into a Billboard than try to sell it from the Giftbox (more clicks needed).

7) Here is my setup that barely makes a dent on my real-estate or bothers me visually:

2vltcas.png
  • JellyZJellyZ Cream Corn Champion Registered User Posts: 1,043
    edited January 2014
    Very nice setup, PZ.
    ...... Selling Billboards is a bad idea I believe. All the signs end up back in your giftbox -- thousands and thousands of signs that have to be individually dealt with....

I didn't know that .... in that case, yeah, it's not a good idea to just sell the billboards.. but will be a bit of a pain to remove the mastery signs one by one in order to sell them.

I have similar setup where I expanded my crop sign to a max (due to the fact I have over 200? or more? I don't know.. I think I lost count). You are right, I only get animals from quests so my animal billboard isn't that big because I don't harvest them that often. Sadly, I'm no longer a tree collecter/masterer.... so that is ok.

I don't know what to do with those craft items mastery signs. Perhaps I should at least sell those since they are simply taking up space in my giftbox or storage.
  • marlene5889marlene5889 Guru of Mayhem Registered User Posts: 844 Forum Meister
    edited January 2014
    45zb.jpg

I have all 5 Billboards in the corner of my HF together with the Diary Farm, Yarn Barn etc, the Blooms and the Organics as they cannot be included in these Billboards. The ones for the locked farms are sitting in a corner of those farms. May just chuck them into storage or sell them.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Forum Meister Suspended User Posts: 690 Dedicated Go Getter
    edited January 2014
    45zb.jpg

I have all 5 Billboards in the corner of my HF together with the Diary Farm, Yarn Barn etc, the Blooms and the Organics as they cannot be included in these Billboards. The ones for the locked farms are sitting in a corner of those farms. May just chuck them into storage or sell them.
    Thats a great setup you have there!
  • Cochise1520Cochise1520 Assassin Registered User Posts: 946 On Fire
    edited January 2014
    Yes I like them you cant have a farm in the country and don't like the billboards that's a part of country living~~~lol
  • PaganiZondaPaganiZonda The Boss Registered User Posts: 1,194 Assassin
    edited January 2014
    19Lyds wrote: »
    Thats a great setup you have there!

I actually tend to disagree (maybe because I have fat/jittery fingers!). The setup "looks" nice and compact, but actually trying to place mastery signs within each specific Billboard will be quite hard.

It will be a total guessing game and you would have to zoom in to the max to get things just right. The pertinent Billboards do highlight when placing a specific sign, but even then I need extensive mouse-manipulation to get it right (and I have a 2x2 matrix, while this is a 4x1). Sorry to be a grumpy-tart, but just sharing my 2 cents ;)
  • marlene5889marlene5889 Guru of Mayhem Registered User Posts: 844 Forum Meister
    edited January 2014
    Don't agree PZ - it's quite easy (for me). Don't zoom, I just take a Mastery Sign and when the relevant Billboard is highlighted just put my mouse on the bottom left and as soon as the yellow highlight show just release the mouse. Perhaps I've mastered the art of dropping them in. I never have to move them to put in the signs. Try it you may find it works well.
  • siouxdaxsiouxdax Captain Obvious Registered User Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Well folks, after much thought and nail-biting, I chose to sell them all off! Of course now I'm a tad bit remorseful after seeing how PaganiZonda had theirs arranged. I've tried hiding the billboards behind stuff, but I could never get things to look "right". And yes, I have a ton of signs to delete from my storage, but I'm not in a real hurry; I'll just delete them during a farming lull.

Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated.

As a side note: I've been registered to this forum for a few years, but haven't used it much until this past week. I had left FV for over a year, then picked it back up this past spring. Being disabled and having nothing but time on my hands, FV gives me the chance to play a game, but not something requiring good timing, etc., like a shoot-em-up. FV and Megapolis are my little pieces of fun for the day!
  • DaphneHarridgeDaphneHarridge Cupcake Princesses Registered User Posts: 195 Fisher
    edited January 2014
    I didn't build any billboards because I'd get anxious if the signs didn't display properly. I like to see the signs lined up nicely in the order that I earned them: crops together, trees together, recipes together, etc. I like to have each sign on the farm where it was earned.
  • MouseWranglerMouseWrangler Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,936 Lord of the Forums
    edited January 2014
    (maybe because I have fat/jittery fingers!)

Ahhhh, I thought I was the only one with this issue. I have an annoying recurring spasm in my "middle" finger on my right hand and I am constantly right clicking by mistake.
  • sunnivara76sunnivara76 The Chosen One Registered User Posts: 1,318
    edited January 2014
    I don't bother with them anymore. Putting all the signs in them was too tedious and time-consuming, and for what? I never go in and admire my signs. I just sell all my Mastery signs now. Really a totally pointless game feature. They should have treated crop Mastery the way they did the Ribbons rewards and saved us all a lot of time and space.
  • Karen 2Karen 2 Grand Poohbah Facebook Connect User Posts: 749
    edited January 2014
    At this point there's one good reason to keep them - if you have them full of signs and you sell them off, all ten thousand signs will automagically reappear in your gift box and you'll have to sell them off one by one!
  • 1n0nlyFairyNuff1n0nlyFairyNuff Party Starter Registered User Posts: 550
    edited January 2014
    I don't get the bit about them taking up space. They don't take up any at all. They slot in the narrow edge at the side of my farms just fine. Now stables, they take up space!
  • dixieaingealdixieaingeal Goldsmith Registered User Posts: 423
    edited January 2014
    I have kept the ones for recipes on each farm so I know what level I am at but all the others have been deleted along with the signs.