Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly is slowing down the game?

nichocbnichocb Mazter GuardianRegistered User Posts: 475 Colossal Titan Slayer
edited October 2014 in FarmVille Discussion
Each object on your farm has a "digital footprint" that contributes to the loading overhead. As general guidelines, the following philosophies are helpful:

1) Have all trees/animals in their buildings. Trees and animals outside will definitely impact load times, especially those calves/foals.

2) Decorations are okay, but if you have uncompleted buildings (think seed spitters and other items with parts), then that impacts loading times. The backend data of what's completed and how many additional parts are required to complete a given building will impact load times.

3) Yes, trees in orchards make a HUGE different. I have 400+ orchards on Winter Wonderful and that's all I have and loading times are horrible!

4) Fences, haybales surely surely surely have an impact. I don't have a single fence on any of my 23 farms.

5) Mastery signs MUST go into their billboards or into storage. They also have quite a bit of footprint.

6) The number of crops you are planting is not a big deal (unless you use turbos -- then that kinda slows your farm down just until the turbo has done its job).

7) I recently expanded my EC to 58x58 and the sheer number of plots is causing my farm to load slowly. So assuming you have huge farms, it is best not to plow the full space like I did.

8) Put your vehicles in a garage, open all your eggs/babies or delete them, put all blooms in a bloom orchard, etc.

Bottomline -- the less items out in the open the better. Farm Clutter = Loading Sputter. Hope this helps!

Edit: I must also add that any other flash process on your computer will slow down the game. YouTube, Google Docs, Dirt Farmer. etc. It is best to install Adblock Plus for a cleaner/smoother Farmville experience. If you post a picture of your farms... I can give you more streamlined advice.

Comments

• Sandy7226Sandy7226 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 8,716 Lord of the Forums
    edited October 2014
    You can have 5,000 items on your farm but as you approach the halfway point your farm will get slower and slower. Everything counts just as Mr PZ said. Some things count more than others, animated decorations for example count more. Animal pens regardless of how many they contain count as 1 plus the visible animals. Orchards count as 1 plus the number of trees because all are visible to some degree. Plots count, signs count, everything counts. Store as much as you can and you will see a difference.
  • Farmer ClydeFarmer Clyde Grand Poohbah Registered User Posts: 914 On Fire
    edited October 2014
    "What exactly is slowing down the game?"

Zynga is slowing down the game.

It has nothing or little to do with how much "stuff" you have laying around but Zynga had more stuff happening in the background. More Ads, more PopUps, more analysis. Just more stuff.

My game play lately has been limited to harvesting my cash cows, cash calfs, money plants, money bushes and money trees simply because I'd like some bang for the bucks I put into this.

When they all expire, well, I guess I'll expire as well because I'm just tired of the same old Zynga **** of ignoring the players.
    We don't need nor do we want another farm but, in another 6 weeks or so, some other magical waste of time will get rolled out and we'll then be up to 25 Farms.

Sure, they're handing out Instagrows and turbo's like candy to kids but to what end?

Zynga is strangling Farmville which will more than likely join Yoville which is sitting on some shelf down in San Francisco.
  • Smokey265Smokey265 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 3,849
    edited October 2014
    There's an article on DIrt Farmer that might shed some light on which objects are more resource-intensive.

For example, they report that animated items (like waterfalls) take more memory than stationary objects (like plots).

Hope this helps! http://www.farmvilledirt.com/2013/06/farmville-computer-and-flash-management.html
  • Sparky0Sparky0 On Fire Registered User Posts: 766 Aged to Perfection
    edited October 2014
    "What exactly is slowing down the game?"
    Zynga is strangling Farmville which will more than likely join Yoville which is sitting on some shelf down in San Francisco.

Actually Yoville still exists, Zynga sold it back to the company that started it. My sister plays that more than FV. I do kind of hope that if Zynga does in fact go away that FV will continue to exist in some form, preferably in a much more streamlined and less buggy form.
    edited October 2014
    Sparky0 wrote: »
    Actually Yoville still exists, Zynga sold it back to the company that started it. My sister plays that more than FV. I do kind of hope that if Zynga does in fact go away that FV will continue to exist in some form, preferably in a much more streamlined and less buggy form.
    Well horse on me!

Although, it is now called YoWorld.........
  • Chocolate HeartChocolate Heart Super Moderator Super Moderator Posts: 2,206 Lord of the Forums
    edited October 2014
    Howdy Farmers!

Thank you for your feedback regarding factors affecting loading issues in the game. I have taken note of details you mentioned and I'll inform the Studio about it. it might be good for them to check on these factors to help improve the game. In the meantime, you can also check our troubleshooting tips on this
    LINK as some of the steps have been really helpful in addressing technical issues. Thank you for your patience! :)
  • nichocbnichocb Mazter Guardian Registered User Posts: 475 Colossal Titan Slayer
    edited October 2014
    Thank you all for your help - it has been most helpful. I will have a look at the Dirt Farmer link too. I think the de-clutter process will be a long one!
  • kathyh3kathyh3 Investigator Registered User Posts: 35
    edited October 2014
    I noticed the other day while the game was running slow that in the lower left corner of the screen it said "waiting for ad blah blah". Sometimes I wonder if those ads underneath the game aren't slowing down the system. Once the ad loaded, the game was fine. Just a thought.
    edited October 2014
    kathyh3 wrote: »
    I noticed the other day while the game was running slow that in the lower left corner of the screen it said "waiting for ad blah blah". Sometimes I wonder if those ads underneath the game aren't slowing down the system. Once the ad loaded, the game was fine. Just a thought.
    You are not alone in your observation.
    edited October 2014
    Howdy Farmers!

Thank you for your feedback regarding factors affecting loading issues in the game. I have taken note of details you mentioned and I'll inform the Studio about it. it might be good for them to check on these factors to help improve the game. In the meantime, you can also check our troubleshooting tips on this
    LINK as some of the steps have been really helpful in addressing technical issues. Thank you for your patience! :)
    The pages in the link you've provides are out of date.

Perhaps if someone at Zynga could bother to update them? After all, a Lot has changed since February 2010.

BTW, is Chocolate Heart a robot or perhaps a common account name?
  • Smokey265Smokey265 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 3,849
    edited October 2014
    kathyh3 wrote: »

Yes, the advertisements impact game loading time. That's why many players use the AdBlock extension. :)
  • PaganiZondaPaganiZonda The Boss Registered User Posts: 1,194 Assassin
    edited October 2014
    The pages in the link you've provides are out of date.
    Perhaps if someone at Zynga could bother to update them? After all, a Lot has changed since February 2010.
    BTW, is Chocolate Heart a robot or perhaps a common account name?

It seems the Link was updated around August 29, 2014.. but there is one very misleading piece of information in there... Zynga states:

5. Disable pop-up or ad blocking software. These software types actively monitor JavaScript and have been found to have a negative performance impact on our games, which rely upon JavaScript.

In addition to the comments already made here, I ran a quick experiment...

Load time with Adblock Plus: 44.5 seconds
    Load time without Adblock Plus: 1 minute 20.1 seconds.

Please stop misleading users and scaring us into viewing your Advertisements. Thank you!
  • TxConnieTxConnie Fisherman Registered User Posts: 170
    edited October 2014
    Nice work PZ. I have had fewer loading problems since I took your advice and enabled Adblock Plus.
    edited October 2014
    Smokey265 wrote: »
    Yes, the advertisements impact game loading time. That's why many players use the AdBlock extension. :)
    I use adblock but even adblock requires time to shut down the ads.
    edited October 2014
    It seems the Link was updated around August 29, 2014.. but there is one very misleading piece of information in there... Zynga states:

5. Disable pop-up or ad blocking software. These software types actively monitor JavaScript and have been found to have a negative performance impact on our games, which rely upon JavaScript.

In addition to the comments already made here, I ran a quick experiment...

Load time with Adblock Plus: 44.5 seconds
    Load time without Adblock Plus: 1 minute 20.1 seconds.

Please stop misleading users and scaring us into viewing your Advertisements. Thank you!
    Thanks for the figures.

It is important to note that their are soooo many different variables in play that often affect load times and game play.

Is it your PC/IPhone/IPad?
    Is it the software in your gaming tool?
    Is it the router?
    Is it your IP Provider?
    Is it the Hub your IP Provider routes through?
    Is it on the receiving end?
    Is it on the sending end?

Typically, the "It's not me." attitude is adopted and the non-computer savvy individual has to run through the typical gamut of exercises which start with "Reboot Your System". That is followed with unplug your router and wait a minute then reboot your computer. Again.
    Reboot--reboot--reboot.

My IP Provider once threatened to cancel my account since I was adamant that THEY had a problem which I had verified with my neighbors who all use the same provider. All were down with IP access unavailable. The other aspect is that most providers will NOT officially open a problem "ticket" until a certain number of reports are received.

But I digress.

The reality is that, the larger Zynga makes Farmville, either through additional (repetitive) Farms, or Farm Sizes, or Gift Box Sizes, or number of different (yet repetitive) animals, buildings, decoaration, trees, moving blah balhs,

then the slower the load times become and then game play gets affected.

As it sits, unless I have absolutely nothing better to do than sit and stare at my monitor for endless minutes, I HAVE to reboot Farmville a minimum of 2 times before I can make it through all the Farms.

Add another Farm in 6 weeks, and that number will jump to 3 reboots.

FARMVILLE is NOT designed nor serviced for Long Term Players simply because it is virtually impossible to load the entire instance on a single run of gaming. Until Zynga gets their memory usage under control (which I simply do not see occurring as too many wheels have been invented), this will never, ever change,
  • MoonchildMadnessMoonchildMadness Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,482 Lord of the Forums
    edited October 2014
    You're always going to have to reload before you can make it to all farms. Flash (the platform the game is coded on) does not release memory until a tab is closed - so it holds all farms you have been to since you last closed the tab and reloaded in memory until you close that tab. Considering that people will always want at least some new items, and that trying to put all those items on just a few farms would inevitably result in not being able to load them at all, reloading every few is a far better alternative. Never having any new animal, tree deco, crop etc would drive away long term players well before reloading would.

I usually reload in a new tab every 5-7 farms, and I almost never experience lag, that's with tidy farms and 8GB of RAM and broadband. Every image the game has to load takes memory and moving ones take more. If something is supposed to move and doesn't that doesn't mean the item is broken, it means there's too much out for your computer to handle. What is ok or too much varies as widely as players' computers do.
  • PaganiZondaPaganiZonda The Boss Registered User Posts: 1,194 Assassin
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the figures. It is important to note that their are soooo many different variables in play that often affect load times and game play....

Yes Sir! I conduct Design of Experiments for a living. I totally agree with you and if I had the "motivation/time" I would present you all with an across the board multi-variate ANOVA and a fully qualified Regression Analysis equation to boot. That would attach statistically backed weights to each variable, and help us isolate its delay-factor contributions to the loading times.

Anyhow, for now let us adopt another deterministic approach that is totally independent of the stochastic variables, which could be different for various players... Here is an image listing the URLs that are accessed during game launch when Adblock Plus is enabled versus when it is disabled.

Around 20 URLs are utilized with AdBlock versus 110+ without Adblock. So now you be the judge as to why the game takes longer to load... and after providing this proof, Zynga needs to back off and stop misleading us!

1zh2x76.png