Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Malware

GoldenDomer93GoldenDomer93 Saint SpontaneousRegistered User Posts: 150
edited August 2014 in Off Topic Discussion
My computer does not have Java and my employer also removed it from every PC companywide. Do you need Java? You do not need it to play FV. You can get a free program called Malwarebytes that should help clean up the mess caused by Java. A lot of awful people use Java as an exploit on innocent computers. Avoid it if you can. Uninstall it. I wonder if you got a fake message to update Java from an exploiter.

Comments

• Smokey265Smokey265 Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 3,849
    edited August 2014
    My computer does not have Java and my employer also removed it from every PC companywide. Do you need Java? You do not need it to play FV. You can get a free program called Malwarebytes that should help clean up the mess caused by Java. A lot of awful people use Java as an exploit on innocent computers. Avoid it if you can. Uninstall it. I wonder if you got a fake message to update Java from an exploiter.

I have seen a lot of fake messages prompting me to install or update software. I hate those ads because I know some people fall for them.

I also use Malwarebytes and it's a great free program. And I use Microsoft Security Essentials (another free program) for virus protection.

Here's a couple of articles from the Support site about enabling JavaScript in your browser and maintaining the Java Runtime Enviroment:

https://support.zynga.com/article/all/All-Games-Verifying-that-JavaScript-is-enabled-en_US

https://support.zynga.com/article/all/All-Games-Uninstalling-and-re-installing-the-Java-Runtime-Environment-en_US
  • farmerdoofusfarmerdoofus Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,363 Lord of the Forums
    edited August 2014
    Java and javascript are not the same. A computer can run javascript and not have Java.
  • marlene5889marlene5889 Guru of Mayhem Registered User Posts: 844 Forum Meister
    edited August 2014
    Smokey that's why you need Adblock. When mine is off I see these ads that are so convinceable that unless you are savvy you'll get caught out. My Java updated today but I have an annual Anti Virus subscription plus a free programme provided by my 2 onlne banks.
    edited August 2014
    Smokey that's why you need Adblock. When mine is off I see these ads that are so convinceable that unless you are savvy you'll get caught out. My Java updated today but I have an annual Anti Virus subscription plus a free programme provided by my 2 onlne banks.

I don't like AdBlock. I had problems with it in the past. I don't click on any ads because I'm computer savvy (former website administrator), but I know other people are not as knowledgeable. Hopefully, they take the time to learn some of the tools that can prevent problems. Computers are expensive and repairing them can be even more costly. )
    edited August 2014
    Java and javascript are not the same. A computer can run javascript and not have Java.

That's exactly right! And that is confusing to some people. That's why I hoped the two articles from Zynga would provide clarity. :)