Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

real life farmville- what are you planting?

xphrogyxxphrogyx Unstained ChieftainRegistered User Posts: 234
edited May 2016 in Off Topic Discussion
Good fences make good neighbors but not in my neighborhood. We are not permitted to install tall privacy fences so we are opting for a natural alternative: a line of bamboo plants that grow to 20 feet in height for a privacy screen. My rude neighbor even has a camera aimed at my yard. Here's hoping we can obstruct its view.

Comments

• Katrina GetzKatrina Getz Assassin Registered User Posts: 515
    edited May 2014
    hope it's Society Bamboo or you'll end up with a bamboo forest.
  • MouseWranglerMouseWrangler Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,936 Lord of the Forums
    edited May 2014
    My rude neighbor even has a camera aimed at my yard. Here's hoping we can obstruct its view.

Nothing that a bb gun wouldn't solve. If it's aimed into your private yard surely there is some legal action you could take?
  • farmerdoofusfarmerdoofus Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,363 Lord of the Forums
    edited May 2014
    Nothing that a bb gun wouldn't solve. If it's aimed into your private yard surely there is some legal action you could take?

None that we could find. Funny you should mention the bb gun. Hubby keeps saying we need to get a cannon as a lawn decoration. A working cannon.

Fargesia clumping bamboo will not grow into a forest. We just want some dang privacy and we want it quickly without moving or resorting to violence. I could write a book about my lunatic real life neighbor and it would all be true.
  • xphrogyxxphrogyx Unstained Chieftain Registered User Posts: 234
    edited May 2014
    that sucks about your neighbors but i have to congratulate you on your awesome creative solution. i hope it helps!
  • farmerdoofusfarmerdoofus Lord of the Forums Registered User Posts: 2,363 Lord of the Forums
    edited May 2014
    Today was supposed to be bamboo shopping day but we decided against it. We lost a lot of trees and plants to our unusually harsh winter, so after sadly removing them we decided we are done spending money on additional landscape plants. We will just maintain what we have since they survived. Oh well.
    edited May 2014
    that sucks. have you considered a evergreen I can't think of what they're called but they grow to a point at top and some times are used to line estate driveways
    edited May 2014
    We do have evergreens, mostly holly trees along our left and right property lines. They are beautiful but are just not growing as fast as we would like (spaces between them that hopefully will fill in someday). The other trees we lost and won't replace are crape myrtles, both full sized and dwarf versions, and a lot of them. Some survived, but the biggest and nicest of the bunch got killed by winter.
    edited May 2014
    along with the fires that we've had in my area we've also been dealing with santa anna's. so I managed to cook seeds that i planted by not removing the plastic I use to create individual cold frames. this weekend the temps are suppose to be in the normal range so I'll re-plant them
  • Farmer ClydeFarmer Clyde Grand Poohbah Registered User Posts: 914 On Fire
    edited February 2015
    xphrogyx wrote: »
    i haven't been playing as much in game because i have been out in my gardens doing the usual springtime work. decided to plant a bunch of veggies this year, cucumbers, peppers, corn, and also a few sunflowers for some fresh seeds.

anybody else do any gardening?
    Does planting flowers count?

If so, I've saved seeds from flowers which will be going into the ground here shortly. Actually pots.

I'd really try the veggie thing but the deer here are without mercy! It limits what flowers I can plant as well.

I bought a pellet gun for their butts when they do show up but it's kinda hard to see them when they wander onto the patio at night.
  • jenniesmithjenniesmith Captain Obvious Suspended User Posts: 9
    edited August 2015
    i'm thinking to plant the a bunch of veggies this time...
  • Sophie70112Sophie70112 Pumpkin Registered User Posts: 5 Loose Cannon
    edited January 2016
    Was just thinking last night I need to get started on planning my garden before spring sneaks up on me