E&A DevSpeak #2: Rolling Out

General01General01 Contributor Posts: 247 Gabby Enthusiast

Commanders,

A lot of content and updates that go into Empires & Allies usually go through a slow ramp process wherein certain sections of players get access to a new Feature over a period of time. This means, there could be situations where your allies and friends might have access to a cool new feature or event, but you might not be able to see it. And we understand that this can be a frustrating experience. FOMO is real!

With this article, we want to explain the reason behind this circumstance and hope to assuage some concerns that players might have.

Every feature, update and event that goes into Empires & Allies is carefully tracked by the game team to ensure that:
• The content is working as intended
• Players are not facing technical or performance issues
• The content is well balanced in terms of tuning, resource costs, targets, etc. and is not explicitly hard for most of our players, but still remains a fruitful challenge to undertake and complete

To ensure that we are able offer the best possible experience to players, and ensure that nothing goes wrong, some content tends to go through what we call a ‘slow ramp’. A slow ramp means the content will roll out to a small section of our players – we track its performance, and if everything checks out, roll it out to more players.

An example of this is during the release of War Factory Alpha Units - we released it to a section of players and during initial tests, we realized that the resource costs which were surfaced to a section of players were prohibitively high. Over the next few days, we fixed this issue, following which, the feature was made accessible to 100% of our players.

The natural question to ask at this point is: Why can’t we identify and fix these issues before releasing the update? All of our Features do go through vigorous internal testing before it’s released. But there are some issues that cannot be found until it is played by an audience of a certain size. Hence, we roll out the feature to a subset of players and evaluate the impact of the feature on a large enough scale. This allows us to identify and iron out any issues before rolling out the feature to everyone.

We understand that being in a situation where you don’t have access to specific content while other players do, can be frustrating. However, it’s a temporary situation. This process ensures we are able to release content of the highest quality to players and any potential issues which could creep into the game can be pre-empted and fixed in a timely manner.

Of course – this doesn’t apply for every bit of content we release. Most of the time we do not require a slow ramp.

We look forward to having more of such conversations with our players. We also look forward to your inputs on what topics you’d like us to cover over the coming weeks.
Thank you for playing Empires & Allies

Please leave your feedback in the comments below.

Over and out!
Team E&A

Tagged:

Comments

• TimTheSorcererTimTheSorcerer Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 29 Clueless Cookie

Okay, first of all welcome Ozzy, as our new community manager.
    I don't know if you 'slow ramped' last update, but as you know, things went horribly wrong yesterday, leaderboards are swamped with fake players (hackers/cheaters... etc) and alliances, and then the leagues went berserk, restarting every 10 minutes it seemed. Now it just doesn't work I think.

This all can happen,what disturbs me is lack of communication from you side.

Just one thread in trouble section with title 'attention commanders' and moderator Aloha Bunny talks about a 'glitch' , which is a very big understatement, it's a disaster for gameplay.

Hope that things will work out soon, and ranking and leagues are going back to normal,
    cause the update is really fun so far, got something to look forward to.

Thanks in advance

Tim.

• Capt.CavemanCapt.Caveman Clueless Cookie Registered User Posts: 410 Forum Detective

lol, Sad,Sad, Sad. How hare is it to update the people that play this game and spend real money on it, you lunch tarmac and command boost but can not post in game what is going on and what you are doing to fix the issue??? Do we all need to come to CA and bang on zynga's door?? or just go play another game ???

The beatings will continue until morale improves

• macaroni415macaroni415 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 47 Building Expert

Anyone else having trouble searching for war ? 24 hours with no match. Fully updated,,, resets search every 2 hours.

• SmokeyCat2SmokeyCat2 Investigator Registered User Posts: 391 Social Snowflake

Yes, I have tried to start a war several times, it goes through the motions of starting the war, then when I come back to see if it is still searching, and it is at the start again asking if I want to start a war. It never said that it cancelled. Any Ideas?

• Capt.CavemanCapt.Caveman Clueless Cookie Registered User Posts: 410 Forum Detective

game is jacked up and we get no answers, wars have been messed up for 2 days now

The beatings will continue until morale improves

• UngodlyUngodly Not a Title, but a Star Registered User Posts: 7 Loose Cannon
    Yeah im still lossing all my loot winnings or gift or bounce that are being given out everytime I go to claim them I lose them soon as I click on them to collect them I have reinstalled the game multiple times over I have lost lots of gold from the new blue crates from this I have lost four weddings I have lost the loot given from other friends that have donated to me everytime I click on it to go retrieve it it disappears and this is since the hack that just happen in the game I would hope that you will honor me and take care of everything that I'm losing or even partial it's not like this is going to cost you a dime or anything like that it is virtual Loop but it's a lot of time and days and hours that I put into the game and I can't even access it because everytime I try to it just vanishes I'm done I can't even talk about it I'm getting too upset about it thinking all those hours and just wasted for nothing what ever most likely I will get a response back from a person that types back with a free script answer from somebody that works for minimum wage that responds back to these text messages probably won't even get a response for somebody that you think with your own mind but a response from something that's already been pre written for a minimum wage person to respond back to this with that's why I'm sick of
  • General01General01 Contributor Posts: 247 Gabby Enthusiast

@Ungodly said:
    Yeah im still lossing all my loot winnings or gift or bounce that are being given out everytime I go to claim them I lose them soon as I click on them to collect them I have reinstalled the game multiple times over I have lost lots of gold from the new blue crates from this I have lost four weddings I have lost the loot given from other friends that have donated to me everytime I click on it to go retrieve it it disappears and this is since the hack that just happen in the game I would hope that you will honor me and take care of everything that I'm losing or even partial it's not like this is going to cost you a dime or anything like that it is virtual Loop but it's a lot of time and days and hours that I put into the game and I can't even access it because everytime I try to it just vanishes I'm done I can't even talk about it I'm getting too upset about it thinking all those hours and just wasted for nothing what ever most likely I will get a response back from a person that types back with a free script answer from somebody that works for minimum wage that responds back to these text messages probably won't even get a response for somebody that you think with your own mind but a response from something that's already been pre written for a minimum wage person to respond back to this with that's why I'm sick of

Hi Ungodly, can you raise a help-shift ticket regarding this with all details. We will look into this further. I know you reported this sometime back. I just want to make sure your issue is resolved.

• Milhouse322Milhouse322 Registered User, Facebook Connect User Posts: 33 Forum Traveller
    Has anyone else noticed that lvl 20 strikers take as much to destroy as the great Titan tank? I have lvl 2 titans that I have noticed time and time again they get taken out in 2 shots with lvl 3 or higher rail guns same as my strikers, the THEL also takes just as long to destroy both, how is this possible if the Titan has 32400 hit points and the striker has just over 10k? I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this discrepancy. Why even bother with the Titan if strikers are more effective?
  • Quetzalcoatl2015Quetzalcoatl2015 The One Who Knows It All Registered User Posts: 586 Goldsmith
    Milhouse322

Complete agree with you, no only that but regular tanks looks weaker, tomahawk slower, cnc range shorter, lgl see no difference in level 3 or 4. And so on.

I thought it was only me but now I see there are other players facing the same.

Zynga what is going on???

First code errors now this???