Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scammers

speecy71speecy71 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
I am getting at least 8-10 game invitations daily from men with picture profiles of well dressed men all in their 50s/60’s. Each starts immediately with a conversation and a “Hello Grace, how are you today?” Are these pictures of authentic scammers or are they assuming other people’s identities?? Is this bigger than any one individual looking for money? I mean how many grifters can there be out there!

Answers

• speecy71speecy71 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    BTW, they are all in my age range
  • Busbabe_232Busbabe_232 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

watch out for a new one, telling you about winning a contest, really funny syntax.

• WinemomWinemom Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I have had so many lately. The first red flag is they constantly say "my dear." One guy kept writing me love letters and acting like we had a longstanding relationship until I finally blocked him. I changed my profile picture to my dog because I was getting an insane amount of men trying to pick me up. They all say they are more comfortable chatting on some other site to try to lure you into giving personal info. This is a huge problem.

• speecy71speecy71 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    So creepy. I resign immediately if they start off with any text.
  • GloriaBGloriaB Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Is there a way to find out the real name of someone you're playing Words with Friends with? I receive a few new game requests daily, usually from men who quickly begin a chat that escalates into how much he loves me, within a week. He can imagine us married. If I don't respond to this chat, they drop out of the game. There is one person I've played many games with who isn't presenting as the usual engineer or oil rig chief or military general, widowed and with one child. The exception is someone who seems pleasant and maybe is just being friendly. I'd like to know that his name is who he says he is. Then I can investigate further.

• sharondiannesharondianne Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Total scammer! Franklin Martins! Oil rig engineer in Alaska but lives in San Diego. Widow. French/American. Son in boarding school. Bank account frozen while on rig. Asked for amazon gift card for music to help loneliness. Asked me to open account to buy him a new phone with bitcoin. He Fell in love with me in 3 days. Flattering romantic words. Has to meet me. Wants pictures. Begs to go to several other sites to video chat. Started getting rude and insulting towards me when I wouldn't do anything he asked me to.
    I confronted him after a week today ....he just LOL, said that's too bad and deleted our game. He's still on the site tonight playing about 25 games.......praying on ladies! BEWARE!

• zyngawf24136602zyngawf24136602 Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I am playing a game with Brian Rogers, he started chatting and guess what, his wife died in childbirth and he works on an oil rig having heard similar stories from Americans I googled scammers on word , which brought me to this site , thankyou all for the heads up but I'm going to lead him up the garden path before I block him

• christopherriffchristopherriff Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited October 2018

Anyone had any encounters with a Dr Thomas Mike. Widower withone child from Houston, Texas? Anyone with detailed info would be a big help. I have a family member that has been sucked in. Trying to find proof this is a scammer.

• LindieLindie Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    How can you tell how many games people are playing at any one time?
  • sspharlapsspharlap Posts: 27Registered User, Facebook Connect User Clueless Cookie
    I have had 3 men all on oil rigs, wives died tragically teenage children in boarding school and all wanting money. One has 6 aliases that I found. Name Miguel Hawkins or Miguel VazQuez or Fonte Alex or David Mark or Francis Wallace or Francis Lucas or Hilton Harry Desmond
  • AnotheroneAnotherone Posts: 31Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller
    Sspharlap, how did you find his aliases?
  • LeonardoclemLeonardoclem Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    This is getting serious trying to spoil the image of men