Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BAIT & SWITCH ?!? ?!?

mjpjr227mjpjr227 Posts: 32Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller

Sometime within the last 24-48 hours the cost of Power Ups changed without any notification. I ask the question "BAIT & SWITCH" because I believe that advertising a price for power ups, letting members buy coins to pay for said Power Ups, and then changing the pricing before the coins are spent constitutes BAIT & SWITCH. Isn't this a legal no-no?

NB: I used the word "legal" and "BAIT & SWITCH" purposefully. Please consult Zynga legal before answering this question. By the way, small print won't CYA ....

Comments

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,264Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie
    edited October 2017

@mjpjr227
    I haven't noticed an increase in prices; Can you give more details or post a screen shot?

• mjpjr227mjpjr227 Posts: 32Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller

Swap+ was selling for 335 coins/30 Swaps+ .... They are now selling 100 coins/5 Swaps+. 30 Swaps at this new pricing costs 600 coins - or nearly twice the price. This change wouldn't matter unless one buys/bought coins with which to buy Swaps+ before the pricing change occurred.

• mjpjr227mjpjr227 Posts: 32Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller

Swap+ was selling for 335 coins/30 Swaps+ .... They are now selling 100 coins/5 Swaps+. 30 Swaps at this new pricing costs 600 coins - or nearly twice the price. This change wouldn't matter unless one buys/bought coins with which to buy Swaps+ before the pricing change occurred.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,264Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@mjpjr227
    That is really strange, Mine is still at 335 for 30. Maybe the price increase is on a slow roll-out. LOL (Not laughing at you. Laughing at the developers for an interesting market strategy.)

I don't use any of the gimmicks so I wish I could donate my coins to you or a worthy cause.

@linkshighlights - Thanks for your feedback. Your comment re: what you are seeing re: pricing will definitely help to demonstrate B&S on the part of Zynga.

Buying coins is like acquiring copies of a newspaper containing coupons when a deal has been realized. The pricing I saw when I bought the coins is the offer I expect Zynga to honor. The pricing I'm now seeing does not meet that expectation. I don't know whether this is intentional or is a side-effect of some interesting marketing strategy as per your comment. Nonetheless, given a snapshot of this conversation coupled with a snapshot of the pricing page on my phone, the disparity is captured.

@mjpjr227 Can you provide a screenshot that demonstrates the prices which you are seeing? It would be very interesting if it is indeed different from what the rest of us are currently seeing!

• DeakLundleeDeakLundlee Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Dear Linkshighlights,

I am attaching screenshots to show the new outrageous pricing by Zyngawf. This is disgusting behavior on the part of Zyngawf’s management. Unethical and bordering on criminal are the wo

@linkshighlights Yes I can. This is what I see when I click on the cart in the iOS WFF app:

edited October 2017
    > @mjpjr227 said:
    > @linkshighlights Yes I can. This is what I see

That's crazy that I still have the old costs. See attached. What's even crazier is the Moddies haven't addressed this post. Sad!
  • Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 1,070Super Moderator mod

Appreciate the feedback, Wordies. We are in the process of improving the Power-Up feature and its cost to ensure everything runs smoothly. Stay tuned for updates.

• PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 75Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet

@Sofia Allianah said:
    Appreciate the feedback, Wordies. We are in the process of improving the Power-Up feature and its cost to ensure everything runs smoothly. Stay tuned for updates.

Best improvement to the Power Ups would be to remove them.

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 176Registered User Investigator

@PaulStevens @Cbadland

Please don't sidetrack the conversation re: the goodness/badness of Power Ups.

I want Zynga to understand that I believe they are coming close to if not having broken the law with respect to anyone who has purchased coins as opposed to the coins they've granted. Arguing other points allows them to sidetrack this issue - which needs to be addressed most directly. If you want to talk goodness/badness of Power Ups, start your own thread. Thanks .....

@mjpjr227 I understand the point you're making, however you already got a reply from a Moddie. Granted it was the common blow-off we have all come to expect. Still it was a reply, which indicates to you that they read your complaint. I highly doubt you're getting any more reaction from them in this thread. Peace...

• Ambrosha99Ambrosha99 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    It's pathetic that the prices went up. They make enough money. I don't understand how they got away with it w/o any warning.
  • my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

Thanks for the feedback, @Ambrosha99. There are some experiments being done in the game, that's why you experienced some changes. Nevertheless, we'll make sure your sentiment reaches the team.

• jboeyjusjboeyjus Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    The new pricing structure is dependent on your available coins. Power ups will cost more if you have more coins.
  • bisonjillbisonjill Posts: 13Registered User, Facebook Connect User Pumpkin

@jboeyjus, are you sure? Currently I have 270 coins. Word Radar used to cost 225 coins for 20. Now they cost 100 coins for 5. Big increase! I don't know if the dollar amounts increased as well as I have never bought them. And my "coin bank" (or whatever the correct term is) is usually about that amount.
    Used to get 10 coins for a win and 2 for a loss or a tie. And I think when I first noticed the coins I'd get one for each word played (that didn't last long - maybe it was just to build up the coin bank?) Now it's 10 for each day played, plus if I hit the challenge goal. My challenge goals have gone through the roof, this week's is 49,360 (!!!)
    I too wish there was more consistency in this, but what bothers me even more is that there's no notification when a change occurs; you just get to discover it on your own. I wish they'd let players know. And not just on Facebook, not all of us use it.
    (Sorry this turned into a long winded post! I started out replying to the coins/cost issue and got onto a roll...)

• amoriferaamorifera Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I agree @bisonjill, the sudden huge increase in the cost of Word Radar is absurd and unethical, with no warning.

• sirkrissirkris Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    This massive inscrease in power ups certainly makes me consider quitting the game. I cannot support such a greedy company. 335 coins for 30 power ups was reasonable. Not 100 coins for 5. Get real zynga...
  • sirkrissirkris Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Not only did they raise their prices dramatically, but they also lowered every single opportunity to get coins also. We used to get 15 coins just to log in each day. Dropped to 10. We used to get 100 coins for winning a game and I think 50 even if you lost. That’s dropped. The fun little badge contest used to be worth it. Now it’s a joke... “play 60 word radars for this badge!” And then if you win, you get 2.... please...
  • w0rd_midasw0rd_midas Posts: 169Super Moderator mod

@sirkris said:
    This massive inscrease in power ups certainly makes me consider quitting the game. I cannot support such a greedy company. 335 coins for 30 power ups was reasonable. Not 100 coins for 5. Get real zynga...

@sirkris said:
    Not only did they raise their prices dramatically, but they also lowered every single opportunity to get coins also. We used to get 15 coins just to log in each day. Dropped to 10. We used to get 100 coins for winning a game and I think 50 even if you lost. That’s dropped. The fun little badge contest used to be worth it. Now it’s a joke... “play 60 word radars for this badge!” And then if you win, you get 2.... please...

We hear your concern and we'll make sure to forward your sentiments to our developers, @sirkris. We are currently in the process of adjusting the Power-Up features and their cost to ensure everything runs smoothly. Thank you for utmost understanding.

• jboeyjusjboeyjus Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited November 2017
    @bisonjill @mjpjr227 I think this is a new feature. Zynga has added an inflation module! I suspect it's based on the Venezuela model. Buy as many Power Ups as you can now before inflation kicks in again.
  • PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 75Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet

Plan B: don't buy the Power Ups at all; just play the game as it was originally :-)

• wonderboy1993wonderboy1993 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Just registered to post this comment. You are greedy pieces of sh**. $4.99 for 220 coins? I picture you all sitting around a table saying "Duck It" they'll still play. And clever roping us all in with the new mods and powerups and then jacking the prices to the absurd heights they are now. Congrats, really, good for you guys. And I've found, without consciously making this desicion I've been playing the game less and less as the weeks go on. I'd say it's because of how fed up I am with you and your bullsh**. I'll be deleting it after this post and be sure to tell everyone I know what pieces of dirt the owners of this app are. Up yours.
  • CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 176Registered User Investigator
    I hear you. I don’t think it is available for all devices, but if you can find the Words With Friends Classic version, it is coin-free and power-up free. For now.
  • PDONAHUEFLAPDONAHUEFLA Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    What is being done is called capitalism... Move the three shells around to the guy that keeps spending the most to watch them move. He who actually spends money on this game in any form is the fool. I wouldn't ever give this company by credit card info, only a fool would! Here is why:

Publicly available information on how Zynga makes money is available in their quarterly report. Can you say... Sucker!

Based on the :

Mobile Revenue of $203.6 million (non-ad revenue, buying things in games or buying subscriptions)
    Ad Revenue of $59.0 million, 25% of total revenue