Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple Virus Pop up

JLinSacJLinSac Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
While in the middle of a game a notification in the form of a pop up appeared informing me I had an Apple virus (on my iPhone). I closed the app, and it went away. I haven't seen any other reports of this, so I'm wondering if I'm the first.

Comments

• LaladienLaladien Posts: 5Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon

This happened to me yesterday, too. It said "Apple Security" and said something about a virus being installed on my phone... click OK to continue. I closed out and restarted and it went away, but yeah, not just you.

• unhounho Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

i just saw this as well just now.

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 306Super Moderator mod

Thanks for bringing this up, @JLinSac, @Laladien, and @unho. We'll have this forwarded so this can be checked. It would also help us a lot if you can provide a picture of the pop-up that you've received. You can refer to the image below on how to add it here.

• DanoDano Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    This happened to me too. It is a sucky way to advertise an APP, it brought you to HotSpotShield VPN Unlimited by AnchorFree Inc. Apple logo and name were used, not sure would appreciate if they new.
  • DanoDano Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Here is the picture. Brought you to HotSpotShield VPN BY AnchorFreeInc. Apple would not be happy ising logo and name + a crappy way to advertise their app!!

Thanks for the screenshot, @Dano. We've already reported this concern to our developers. You can get back to us for further updates.

• LaladienLaladien Posts: 5Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon

Yep happened to me again today... sucky way to advertise imho.

• Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 634Super Moderator mod

@Laladien said:
    Yep happened to me again today... sucky way to advertise imho.

Appreciate the update, @Laladien. This has been forwarded to the developers to be worked on. Thank you for your patience.

• cwcage13cwcage13 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I've seen this same "virus" warning twice in the last week. same behavior. I'm looking at the board to make a move and this virus warning covers the screen. If I close the app and open again it goes away. I'm attaching a couple of screenshots to show it.
  • juditjudit Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    It is early and I wasn't thinking... I clicked on Done and now I get a black screen when I hit play. Have to close the app and reopen each time. 3 times now.
  • juditjudit Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
  • steve92626steve92626 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Zynga, so what is the verdict? The error still popping up and some of the players I play with also got the virus pop up. We are all on iPhone and have never encountered this in any of other games. We are about to delete all your games and report to Apple.

• GregGreg Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I've seen this several times too. I like the misspelling of WARNNING. Probably an advertiser fishing for clicks.
  • VosselleVosselle Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    For the record, this popup is happening to my iPhone too while playing your game. Several days in a row now.
  • mysemitemysemite Posts: 1Registered User, User Awaiting Email Confirmation, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Yes, Mr. Zynga. You need to deal with this quickly. Hopefully this is not some phishing scam.

• wchacewchace Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Hi, I've had this same bogus virus warning pop up at least 3 times in the last few days. I was considering purchasing the ad-free version of the app to get away from this apparent phishing scam in particular, but was stopped in my tracks when I saw the price is now up to $30. There has to be a better way to make the WWF experience more enjoyable for your users. Thanks for looking into how to resolve the problem.

It happened again today. FIX THIS ASAP, Cancel advertising from AnchorFreeInc. It has been reported to Apple.

@cwcage13 said:
    I've seen this same "virus" warning twice in the last week. same behavior. I'm looking at the board to make a move and this virus warning covers the screen. If I close the app and open again it goes away. I'm attaching a couple of screenshots to show it.

@judit said:
    It is early and I wasn't thinking... I clicked on Done and now I get a black screen when I hit play. Have to close the app and reopen each time. 3 times now.

@steve92626 said:
    Zynga, so what is the verdict? The error still popping up and some of the players I play with also got the virus pop up. We are all on iPhone and have never encountered this in any of other games. We are about to delete all your games and report to Apple.

@Greg said:
    I've seen this several times too. I like the misspelling of WARNNING. Probably an advertiser fishing for clicks.

@Vosselle said:
    For the record, this popup is happening to my iPhone too while playing your game. Several days in a row now.

@mysemite said:
    Yes, Mr. Zynga. You need to deal with this quickly. Hopefully this is not some phishing scam.

@wchace said:
    Hi, I've had this same bogus virus warning pop up at least 3 times in the last few days. I was considering purchasing the ad-free version of the app to get away from this apparent phishing scam in particular, but was stopped in my tracks when I saw the price is now up to $30. There has to be a better way to make the WWF experience more enjoyable for your users. Thanks for looking into how to resolve the problem.

@Dano said:
    It happened again today. FIX THIS ASAP, Cancel advertising from AnchorFreeInc. It has been reported to Apple.

We're aware that some of you have been experiencing the warning pop-up, Wordies. This concern has been reported to our developers and currently being worked on. Your patience is appreciated.

• idathefrizidathefriz Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I won't play until you have it fixed!!! I"m not going to push those kinds of buttons, but this sure is pushing MY buttons!!!

• Stephen JacobyStephen Jacoby Loose Cannon Posts: 8Registered User Loose Cannon

Same here. I got an "apple security" message/popup saying there was a virus from 173.68.50.25. IMO, if this is not a message from Apple and if the virus statement is a lie, a crime is involved. Without my asking, I somehow was sent to the App Store. I closed both Words and the App Store, but to best of my recollection I was taken to Mobile Security & Anti Theft Protection by Mobile Security, but not 100% certain. Maybe someone else who found themselves dragged to the App Store can give the correct name of the App. If Mobile Security is behind this or is a fake/phishing app or is an innocent victim of a devious plan, Apple (the real Apple) should be notified by Zynga pronto. Like others here I will stop playing until fixed. By the way this seems to have had something to do with what looked like a regular add on Words involving a video which I did not watch, except to notice it took up only a small part of the screen. Hope you get this fixed soon. Please advise us when you do so we who shun this kind of behavior can return.

• Stephen JacobyStephen Jacoby Loose Cannon Posts: 8Registered User Loose Cannon

PS - I'm curious. I just discovered a notification from Zynga that I was just promoted to "Loose Cannon", presumably because of my last comment. What goes? Is this for real? If so, in context, it is in pretty odd taste. Complaining about inconvenience and possible criminal activity somehow involving Zynga should be taken seriously. (Now that Zynga has notice that its app is being "used" for improper and probably illicit purposes, I suspect Zynga has some obligation to clean up its app -- and its advertising, if that is, as it appears, involved -- and eventually failure to promptly use best efforts to do so may get Zynga in trouble. It is in Zynga's interest to focus on resolving this, and cute appellations, such as "Loose Cannon" don't instill great confidence. Please prove me wrong; I've always enjoyed Words.

• LorKraLorKra Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

This pop up telling me that I have and apple virus has been going on for the past month when I play Words With Friends on my iphone's app as well as when playing on my Mac thought the browser. When can we expect that this issue be resolved?

• Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 634Super Moderator mod

@idathefriz said:
    I won't play until you have it fixed!!! I"m not going to push those kinds of buttons, but this sure is pushing MY buttons!!!

@Stephen Jacoby said:
    Same here. I got an "apple security" message/popup saying there was a virus from 173.68.50.25. IMO, if this is not a message from Apple and if the virus statement is a lie, a crime is involved. Without my asking, I somehow was sent to the App Store. I closed both Words and the App Store, but to best of my recollection I was taken to Mobile Security & Anti Theft Protection by Mobile Security, but not 100% certain. Maybe someone else who found themselves dragged to the App Store can give the correct name of the App. If Mobile Security is behind this or is a fake/phishing app or is an innocent victim of a devious plan, Apple (the real Apple) should be notified by Zynga pronto. Like others here I will stop playing until fixed. By the way this seems to have had something to do with what looked like a regular add on Words involving a video which I did not watch, except to notice it took up only a small part of the screen. Hope you get this fixed soon. Please advise us when you do so we who shun this kind of behavior can return.

@Stephen Jacoby said:
    PS - I'm curious. I just discovered a notification from Zynga that I was just promoted to "Loose Cannon", presumably because of my last comment. What goes? Is this for real? If so, in context, it is in pretty odd taste. Complaining about inconvenience and possible criminal activity somehow involving Zynga should be taken seriously. (Now that Zynga has notice that its app is being "used" for improper and probably illicit purposes, I suspect Zynga has some obligation to clean up its app -- and its advertising, if that is, as it appears, involved -- and eventually failure to promptly use best efforts to do so may get Zynga in trouble. It is in Zynga's interest to focus on resolving this, and cute appellations, such as "Loose Cannon" don't instill great confidence. Please prove me wrong; I've always enjoyed Words.

@LorKra said:
    This pop up telling me that I have and apple virus has been going on for the past month when I play Words With Friends on my iphone's app as well as when playing on my Mac thought the browser. When can we expect that this issue be resolved?

We're already working on it and may take awhile to be fixed. Thank you for understanding.

• ArleneBonetArleneBonet Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I was doing FV2 for less then an hour and got the virus popup 3 times, if this keeps happening I will have to quit playing!!

• Gemini5xGemini5x Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

It's still happening. Yesterday, after joining a Word Streak tournament and it taking a noticeably long time to load players, the "Apple Security" notice popped up, covering the screen. It said, "(6) virus detected on your iphone" and the text stated that a trojan was on my phone. I didn't take a screen shot or write down the full message, but I did note the ip address given in the message: 73.190.97.49. I quit the app and will not be opening it again until I find some positive online info that this has been successfully addressed.

Thanks for letting us know, @Gemini5x. We'll appreciate it also if you can send us a screenshot, the time and date it appeared, and device that you're using. We'll include these information in our report. The picture below is an image to walk you through on how to attach your file here:

• eabeab Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I don't think it is Zynga unless they are buying the ad because I got this same message playing a game by CandyWriter - Letter Soup. I found this forum searching the words in the notice.

• Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 1,059Super Moderator mod

@eab said:
    I don't think it is Zynga unless they are buying the ad because I got this same message playing a game by CandyWriter - Letter Soup. I found this forum searching the words in the notice.

Do you have a screenshot of the exact error message so I can have it forwarded to the devs?

Thanks!

• k2thediok2thedio Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Something similar has started with me within the last week. Within 5 minutes of playing words with friends on a Moto e4, my chrome browser opens with a malicious "congratulations you have won" ad. It only happens during wwf, and I've never clicked on it, I minimize the browser and have to open a new blank tab, or my chrome will simply open to the same ad. I've cleared my history and cookies but it happens every time I play wwf. Also, two anti-malware apps from Google Play say there is no virus on my phone and my few other apps are also from Google Play. It's becoming infuriating. Do i need to uninstall and reinstall?