Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing without coins

JohnvasiJohnvasi Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I never paid attention to the annoying coins and badges, but I kept noticing that I had 1,500 coins and didn’t know what they were. I explored and found that they can be used for free swaps, etc. I had begun to wonder why people that I play often have suddenly begun to beat me with regularity. I hate the idea of people looking up word generators and now, I see that WWF has actively offered advantages with this stupid coin system.
Is there a version of WWF in which the coins or sprockets (whatever they are) are not allowed?

Tagged:

Comments

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

We appreciate all your feedback, @Johnvasi. One of our utmost intentions is to make the game more fun and entertaining, hence we added some new features including the Coins and the Power-ups. We believe that the Power-ups can help the player to get unstuck if they can no longer find moves to play. To further assist you, we'll make sure that your sentiment is forwarded to our developers.

• NoBiteNoBite Cloudylicious Posts: 124Registered User The Pesky Helper

There is SOME version of the game that does not allow the use of SWAPS. I know this because one of my opponents apparently has this version. When I play her, the SWAP feature (use of coins to swap letters and not lose your turn) is grayed out. When I clicked it, I got an explanation that said my opponent had not upgraded their game to allow use of this option. Therefore, I couldn't use the option, either. Actually, that seems fair to me, but it does point out that such a version does still exist!! It would seem not too far a stretch, therefore, for WWF to develop an option that would allow players to toggle off some or all of the coin-related "features" and thus restrict their opponents likewise. I do not imagine this will actually be done because it would be anti-revenue-generating. But, I do believe the ability to do this exists.

Furthermore, I believe the algorithms change the more frequently you use the coin-based "features". If, for instance, you use the SWAP feature, you will soon find yourself needing to use it more frequently based on the letters you started drawing. If you cease using that feature, it will take awhile, but eventually your draws will start evening out, vowels versus consonants. Just my experience. YMMV.

• JohnvasiJohnvasi Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Thanks for the responses. My question about coins, swaps, etc. is based on the simple idea that I’d like to play with someone who’s using the same rules as I am. I’m a fairly decent player, and I try to find challenging opponents. I can tell pretty quickly if someone is using a word generator, and I don’t play with those people. But I didn’t realize until now that there were these other, new (to me), options. I wondered why people that I had been playing for some time started beating me regularly with better words and scores than previously.

I would just like an option to play straight up games with other people who want to do the same. It’s not a matter of winning. It’s just not right, especially when you regularly get more lousy letters than you should.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,318Registered User, Facebook Connect User Cream Corn Champion

@Johnvasi A number of people agree with you and do not like these gimmicks. Here is a post where people who vow not to use them add their names. Perhaps you will find some good matches or if you want you can add you username to the list.
    http://zyngaplayerforums.com/wordswithfriends/discussion/3162342/players-who-dont-cheat/p1

• JohnvasiJohnvasi Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Now that I've played for a couple more weeks and thought about it, I believe that the coins, and even the tile bag, are ruining this game. Obviously, the desire is to play on a level playing field with your opponents. The problem with coins is that you don't know whether your opponent has just swapped his bad letters for good ones without losing a turn. Also, it's discouraging to play this game while you're regularly getting bad letters.

You've taken a classic game, Scrabble, and reduced it to appeal to the lowest common denominator players. The reason Scrabble has lasted so long is that it hasn't made the changes you have. And as I mentioned above, the tilebag option is like playing real Scrabble and looking at your opponent's tiles before you play. Some players do it, some don't want to play that way. Do any people at Zynga Games play this game themselves anymore? I can't imagine that any serious player thinks the swapping without penalty is an improvement.

My recommendation is for Words With Friends to go back to the original game without the gimmicks. Playing on the Internet is wonderful by itself. Dont try to improve Scrabble. At the very least, Words With Friends should offer the option to players to play the game without the gimmicks. You're trying to gain some new players, but you're disappointing the majority of players who made Words With Friends a success .

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 178Registered User Investigator
    If you can find a version called “classic”, that MAY not have the cheats in it. But I don’t think Classic WWF is available on all platforms, nor continuously listed in an App Store.
  • DarlysDarlys Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I just discovered that an opponent is using “coins” to purchase letters. Isn’t that cheating when you have an advantage that the other player doesn’t even know about? There’s no way I will continue with this game if I feel there isn’t a level playing field.

• NoBiteNoBite Cloudylicious Posts: 124Registered User The Pesky Helper

This is also a very sticky subject to discuss with your opponent if he/she is your friend! Impossible to verify as well. Short of giving us a coin-free option, there should be an indicator that show when your opponent is using a "power up" and which one is being used. Perhaps then, at the very least, folks would be able to honestly play this game! There's a green light that shows my opponent is online; why not a light that shows which "power up" is being used during a turn? If you want to use an advantage, great... OWN IT.

• dk59dk59 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    My first post - I hate the whole coins thing. It is annoying to get the notifications and make me tap to accept. Anyway to turn off all of these features? It's ruined the game.
  • linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,318Registered User, Facebook Connect User Cream Corn Champion

@Darlys @dk59 A number of people agree with you and do not like these gimmicks. Here is a post where people who vow not to use them add their names. Perhaps you will find some good matches or if you want you can add you username (and word/game averages) to the list.
    http://zyngaplayerforums.com/wordswithfriends/discussion/3162342/players-who-dont-cheat/p1

• idografxidografx Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I dislike the distraction of the stupid coins, and not having an option to opt out. I am a purist and I won’t even swap my tiles. I figure the game is like life....and you play with what you are dealt!
  • CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 178Registered User Investigator
    I am lucky to have an old iOS version called Words With Friends Classic. It has none of the gimmicks people here complain about. Another option is a game called Wordfeud. The interface is much clunkier than WWF, but the ad-free version is cheap and they link to “honor” tournaments where you play against opponents who pledge not to use “cheats”.
  • Paulette1269Paulette1269 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I absolutely hate the coins, boxes, etc. It interrupts my game and I have no desire to have extra help in making words. I would like to know how to get annoying coins, etc off my game. I'm ready to quit playing.