Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constantly getting triples of letters.

WordKingWordKing Posts: 18Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

Over the past few weeks I am frequently three of the same letter, most often the triple is a vowel. I've been playing WWF on Facebook for a few years. This is a new annoyance. This really takes the fun out of playing.

Comments

• DanielB4434DanielB4434 Posts: 21Registered User, Facebook Connect User Delightful Duckling

IIts probably a result of your opponents using free swap. "TTTriples" I can deal with, its the 5 u's and 2 i's that stop me

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

@WordKing said:
    Over the past few weeks I am frequently three of the same letter, most often the triple is a vowel. I've been playing WWF on Facebook for a few years. This is a new annoyance. This really takes the fun out of playing.

@DanielB4434 said:
    IIts probably a result of your opponents using free swap. "TTTriples" I can deal with, its the 5 u's and 2 i's that stop me

Thanks for the feedback, @WordKing. You have our assurance that the Tiles are being distributed randomly to the players. Just like what @DanielB4434 had said, using of the Tile Swap Plus may affect the available pieces in Tile Bag. Nonetheless, we'll forward your concern to our developers.

We appreciate the help, @DanielB4434!

• WordKingWordKing Posts: 18Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

Great way to start a game. Tile swap plus could not have been a factor, this is the opening of a new game.

Apparently posting about annoying flaws in the game is a waste of time.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,366Registered User, Facebook Connect User Cream Corn Champion

@WordKing I noticed none of the Moddies have been around lately. Not sure why they are absent but I'm sure they will forward your concern to the Dev Team as soon as they get back.

• kevinsusankevinsusan Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I get triple and QUADRUPLE of the same letter so often, I'm quitting. So annoying.

Obviously the Moddies don't care.

• NoBiteNoBite Cloudylicious Posts: 131Registered User The Pesky Helper

@MBOA3D said:
    Same for me almost always vowels too. Many times now if ended up with all vowels. I think it is rigged tl make me use my swap powerups.

I believe you are on to something! It has been my experience that the randomness of the tiles I get changes if I use the Swap cheat. The algorithm seems to change for the rest of that game, in an attempt to get me to use more Swaps and, eventually, purchase them. I've experimented with this over many games and I think there is something to your assertion.

• Drmwords2Drmwords2 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

My thought exactly about using the cheat.

• KarlisNMKarlisNM Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I agree. I think that the “random” algorithm has been tweaked since the addition of the free swap feature to encourage it’s use and to eventually buy coins. I didn’t used to get racks with so many repetitive vowels, and the all-vowels and all-consonant racks did not occur as frequently as they do now.
  • KarlisNMKarlisNM Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited March 18
    The algorithm is not random. It distributes letters in a manner that encourages monetization of game play. In addition, the acceptance and prohibition of certain words is almost completely arbitrary. Today it let me play ”feeze,” because it’s a close match to “freeze,” which is just plain stupid. Game also acts as “politically correct nanny,” disallowing words that are in the dictionary, but that some sensitive players might find offensive. Getting close to abandoning this game altogether and playing Scrabble instead.
  • PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 77Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet

@KarlisNM said:
    Today it let me play ”feeze,” because it’s a close match to “freeze,” which is just plain stupid.

No, it let you play FEEZE, because it's an acceptable word, meaning to rush.

There's an awful lot wrong with this game, but accusing it of allowing correct words doesn't help ;-)

I'm not crazy about WWF acceptance of abbreviations. It makes no sense many are accepted, many are rejected. It should be WWF accepts abbreviations or it does not.

Acceptance of some slang and not others is just as bad, in what dictionary is PERV a real word. I may complain a lot but I hope that my intent is realized. I'd like my observations to be seen as suggestions to improve the quality of the game.

• Linda Scott BakerLinda Scott Baker Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 3Registered User Not a Title, but a Star

I fell the same way about the repetitiveness of vowels and consonants. This game has really gotten annoying! Sometimes when I do use swap I get back the same letters I just swapped! And that happens a lot during play.

• StephenMc74StephenMc74 Posts: 8Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon
    edited May 22
    I find by round 2 im getting 3 O's or 4 E's and if i play a 7 letter word i know my next few rounds all im going to get is vowels. Its so predictable tend to bite the bullet and swap (not that stupid in move swap but actually miss a turn). I know mostly that tile swaps arent happening at that stage of the game so i reckon bad RNG in algorithms.

Also they use dictionary.com for words so you can refer a word to their site. The one issue ive seen for instance if you have a word such as 'je' dictionary.com allows this cos it does return a response and not a not found (ib is another example). So, this seems to hold true to abbreviations that arent defined as an abbreviation, for instance vu is volume unit compared to wwf which is designated an abbreviation.