Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people resign when they are down 200 pts with 10 letters left?

thomasotremendothomasotremendo Posts: 24Registered User, Facebook Connect User Delightful Duckling

Just wondering. Seems like a waste of time. OCD?

Answers

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 394Registered User, Facebook Connect User Social Snowflake

@thomasotremendo Speaking for myself, I don't resign for a couple reasons. For one thing, the score at the time a game is resigned will affect your average game score. I wouldn't want to do that to my opponent. Also if they were about to set a new high score, I wouldn't want to take that away from them either. Lastly, having scored over 200pts on a single turn a few times, you never know. LOL

• thomasotremendothomasotremendo Posts: 24Registered User, Facebook Connect User Delightful Duckling

For everyone like you there is someone who resigns. This makes average game score a poor predictor of ability. The best statistic for that is average points per word. Percent of games won is also a better predictor. If you care about your stats then avg. game score should not be a goal, as you really have the least control over it. Most people don't have a lot of faith in making a 200-pt. word and are not interested in continuing to play such a boring game.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 394Registered User, Facebook Connect User Social Snowflake
    edited November 13

@thomasotremendo When looking at average points per word, remember that you could be facing someone who plays a strong defensive game (for example, choosing to score fewer points on a turn to avoid setting up a bigger score from your opponent). So percentage of wins might be the best stat. Then again, maybe they only play weaker players. LOL I guess that's the beauty of this game. There is something for everyone.

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 81Registered User Dramachine
    Some players have integrity.
  • PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 43Registered User, Facebook Connect User Grasshopper

@thomasotremendo said:
    Just wondering. Seems like a waste of time. OCD?

Because it's about playing the game, not winning at any cost, or giving up - a glorious defeat can be almost as much fun as a win, and watching and learning from better players will help you improve your game in future.

Play me, and it goes to the final letter, win or lose ;-)

• thomasotremendothomasotremendo Posts: 24Registered User, Facebook Connect User Delightful Duckling

@linkshighlights said:
    @thomasotremendo When looking at average points per word, remember that you could be facing someone who plays a strong defensive game (for example, choosing to score fewer points on a turn to avoid setting up a bigger score from your opponent). So percentage of wins might be the best stat. Then again, maybe they only play weaker players. LOL I guess that's the beauty of this game. There is something for everyone.

Yeah everybody who knows how to play knows when to play a word with fewer points when another higher-value word would leave a TW, e.g., opening for the opponent. More freqeuntly I will play a lower value word but one that uses more letters just to get the game over with more quickly!