Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Use Word Radar

JayEpstein11828JayEpstein11828 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
Hello,

Word Radar appeared as a feature a few days ago, and I do not fully understand how to make sense of it. Someone please explain the whole process to me.

Thank you.

Comments

• jbrjbr Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I dont understand it either, still looking for answer
  • Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 783Super Moderator mod

Hi, @JayEpstein11828 and @jbr. It is a pre-move power-up that shows where you can place a word with the letters that you have and If it's red there's high probability you can play a word on that area. Thanks.

• FastCatGFastCatG Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    It is a way of cheating.What is the point in playing if you can't win without cheating ?
  • btlt1btlt1 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

CHEATING. Thats what I call it. All the fun gone out of the game. Very noticeable much higher scores coming up. Obviously from people who are using it

@FastCatG said:
    It is a way of cheating.What is the point in playing if you can't win without cheating ?

@btlt1 said:
    CHEATING. Thats what I call it. All the fun gone out of the game. Very noticeable much higher scores coming up. Obviously from people who are using it

Appreciate the feedback and we'll do our best to share your concern to our developers. Thank you.

• ShaShaShaSha Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

When I use Word Radar, I notice that some of the blank tiles appear a darker red than others. Is there a reason for this? Thanks!

@ShaSha said:
    When I use Word Radar, I notice that some of the blank tiles appear a darker red than others. Is there a reason for this? Thanks!

Hi, @ShaSha. The area where it appears darker red has a high probability of placing a word, combining it with the Hindsight will also gives you a clue what word you can play. Cheers!

• StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 136Registered User, Facebook Connect User The Pesky Helper

@Piers_Fiddler said:

@ShaSha said:

Hi, @ShaSha. The area where it appears darker red has a high probability of placing a word, combining it with the Hindsight will also gives you a clue what word you can play. Cheers!

Or, you could ignore it completely, and use your BRAIN instead!

• PoojeaniePoojeanie Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    It is cheating I will not use it!
  • David1710David1710 Posts: 43Registered User, Facebook Connect User Grasshopper
    ... basically the power ups Words With Friends have added, now play the game for you.

It's not scrabble anymore ... it's now more like scrabble manager!
  • Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 1,070Super Moderator mod
    edited September 2017

@Poojeanie said:
    It is cheating I will not use it!

@David1710 said:
    ... basically the power ups Words With Friends have added, now play the game for you.

It's not scrabble anymore ... it's now more like scrabble manager!

Your feedback has been forwarded to our developers, Wordies.

Thanks for your patience and support.

• KarenAEKarenAE Posts: 6Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon
    I do not like the power up cheat devices. If the rollout continues, so will I (rolling on out of here)

@KarenAE said:
    I do not like the power up cheat devices. If the rollout continues, so will I (rolling on out of here)

We appreciate your thoughts. @KarenAE. The integrity of the game is something we care deeply about, and we believe that power-ups can help make Words With Friends more fun by providing players options to get unstuck when they can’t find any moves to make. We will continue to monitor player feedback on them as we move forward. Have a great day.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,000Registered User, Facebook Connect User Pet Queen

@Piers_Fiddler said:
    The integrity of the game is something we care deeply about, and we believe that power-ups can help make Words With Friends more fun by providing players options to get unstuck when they can’t find any moves to make.

Do you realize that is part of some peoples strategy? A good players uses defense as much as they use offense. If someone is stuck, you try to keep them stuck to protect your lead. So providing them a way to get unstuck is making the game LOSE integrity. I don't know why you don't understand that.

• w0rd_midasw0rd_midas Posts: 169Super Moderator mod

@linkshighlights said:

@Piers_Fiddler said:
    The integrity of the game is something we care deeply about, and we believe that power-ups can help make Words With Friends more fun by providing players options to get unstuck when they can’t find any moves to make.

Do you realize that is part of some peoples strategy? A good players uses defense as much as they use offense. If someone is stuck, you try to keep them stuck to protect your lead. So providing them a way to get unstuck is making the game LOSE integrity. I don't know why you don't understand that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We’ve already relayed your feedback about the Power-ups and it is now being considered carefully by our developers. We'll keep on monitoring player feedback on these features as we move forward.

• pupeezpupeez Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I won't use the online cheats that are available and I'm disappointed that Zynga has built them into my favorite game. When you get stuck, you pass or swap tiles. Can you imagine playing the board game scrabble and asking for the dictionary when you get stuck??

@pupeez said:
    I won't use the online cheats that are available and I'm disappointed that Zynga has built them into my favorite game. When you get stuck, you pass or swap tiles. Can you imagine playing the board game scrabble and asking for the dictionary when you get stuck??

Thank you for the feedback, @pupeez. We care deeply about the integrity of the game and your concern on the Power-ups will be reviewed considerably by our developers as we move forward. Have a great day.

• stefie444stefie444 Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I agree that too many of these helpers simply makes the game too easy to give one a sense of accomplishment and increase brain power, etc. I do like the swap feature since you can swap anyway, you just don't lose a turn. As long as both players have the feature. Maybe hindsight could be ok since it's not actually helping you find a place to play on the board. But word radar... that pretty much is over-the-top in terms of reasonable.

• Vinnie4166Vinnie4166 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

It takes time to develop a trustful relationship with another player. Word radar and Swap are just awful features that encourage cheating. We just want to play Scrabble, using our own knowledge. This new version of the game also has the pop-ups and pop-downs that ruin the flow of the game. Get rid of them or I'm finding another online Scrabble app.

@Vinnie4166 said:
    It takes time to develop a trustful relationship with another player. Word radar and Swap are just awful features that encourage cheating. We just want to play Scrabble, using our own knowledge. This new version of the game also has the pop-ups and pop-downs that ruin the flow of the game. Get rid of them or I'm finding another online Scrabble app.

Appreciate your thoughts, @Vinnie4166. The integrity of the game is something we care deeply about, and we believe that power-ups can help make Words With Friends more fun by providing players options to get unstuck when they can’t find any moves to make. We will continue to monitor player feedback on them as we move forward.

• PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 56Registered User, Facebook Connect User This Space is Available
    edited October 2017

@Piers_Fiddler said:
    We will continue to monitor player feedback on them as we move forward.

@Piers_Fiddler, don't you think you've had enough "player feedback"? Surely by now you must realise that a large proportion of us DO NOT WANT POWER UPS, or at least, if they must be part of the game, to be able to see who is using them, so WE can decide if we want to play against cheats or not.

You may well "care deeply" about the integrity of the game, but it's such a shame that NOTHING is actually being done to restore or preserve it :-(

• FTH1952FTH1952 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I’ve just upgraded to Word 2. Unfortunately the Power Ups are not present. I’m using an iPad. Have tried deleting and reinstalling but I just get the “faulty” version back from the cloud. Any suggestions???

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,000Registered User, Facebook Connect User Pet Queen

@FTH1952 I'm not sure why a Moddie hasn't addressed this for you yet and I don't have an iDevice so I'm not much help. You should probably send a message to Support for more assistance.

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

@FTH1952 said:
    I’ve just upgraded to Word 2. Unfortunately the Power Ups are not present. I’m using an iPad. Have tried deleting and reinstalling but I just get the “faulty” version back from the cloud. Any suggestions???

The Power-ups are already available on Words With Friends 2, @FTH1952. Please try this link, to where you can also download the latest version.

• FaithFaith Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

How is it cheating when the game developers add it to the game itself!!?? Is using the dictionary aspect of the game also cheating? No! What about if I swap out tiles? Now if I go to a separate website and look up words using my letters, okay, but any aspect built into the game by the game developers by the very nature that it is PART of the game itself cannot be cheating!! Please. It may allow a different level of play perhaps but cheating, look up the word. NOT!! I'm using it. And I'm not cheating.

edited November 2017

Hi @Faith I'll try to explain... I understand the word "cheat" can be offensive, especially to those who use them. That's why I prefer the word "gimmick". People who have been playing this game since before the gimmicks were added feel they are not getting the same game they paid for. Particularly when they cannot tell when the gimmicks were deployed. Simple solutions have been offered including a version without the gimmicks available or even better include some stats regarding how many times a player has used each gimmick. If a person doesn't want to use them, they can choose to play others who also don't play that way. Thereby making everyone happy.

• alicefoxalicefox Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

May I suggest two separate games. 1. Traditional with no cheats and 2. New with all the cheats available.

• Potty_PiratePotty_Pirate Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I think Word Radar is definitely not in the spirit of the game. Of course, since it's there, it's daft not to use it, but I'd much prefer to play without it.

As to the dictionary, I find it almost essential to check many words, since there are a lot of very dubious words that are allowed, whilst many traditional ones aren't (especially the Scrabble two letter words). I'd like the dictionary to include many, many more words, to cater for those who have a large vocabulary.

@Potty_Pirate You can use this form to submit new words. I hope yours are added soon!

• SadiaRevealedSadiaRevealed Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited December 2017