Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Military Romance Scam A word of caution.

13»

Comments

• AnotheroneAnotherone Posts: 31Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller
    No, they can't. They will just come back with another name.
    It's a daily occurrence here.
  • WWFplayer54WWFplayer54 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    The scammers are non stop! All I want is to play a fun game. I rarely initiate dialogue unless it’s a really good game and I want to congratulate or thank my opponent.
  • Cupcake_25Cupcake_25 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    My scammer was Bob Derick. Same basic story, civil engineer, wife died 10 yrs ago, from Miami, daughter in school in LA, works on oil rig in Thailand. Fell in love with my picture. Knew he was full of ****. Called him out a couple times. Just acted hurt I would say such things then went right back to his love spiel. Then said the company holding his retirement was going under and he wanted to make me benefactor and have it sent to me. Right, because sane people do that everyday!!! Guess he thought I was naive or stupid. Anyway, he called me a fake friend. He is now blocked.
  • LondonLondon Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Beware of Denis Morgan. He certainly is eye candy but same story as the others...he is an OB/GYN in the Navy. Stationed in Tela Viv Isearl. Starts out sweet then asks for the iTunes gift card. Blah blah blah. Here are some of the pictures he sent me.
  • AnotheroneAnotherone Posts: 31Registered User, Facebook Connect User Forum Traveller
    You go girl.... He stole those photos from some very hot caring dude!
  • JanWJanW Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I fell for a similar story someone calling themselves “Edward Chin Yu Sun” an orthopaedic surgeon working for United Nations in Kabul, same old story wife died 12yr old son living with a relative etc. I was very sceptical but looked up orthopaedic surgeons in USA turns out there is a surgeon called that name, still very sceptical asked him to prove himself and he sent me on hangouts what actually had what looked like a genuine UN pass card with his photo same as the surgeon in USA. Went along with it for awhile (what an I say I was flattered) finally got sick of the constant outpouring of love and devotion told him Iwas suspicious he then stated his son had been in bad accident and he needed $10,000 for the operation, really an orthopaedic surgeon can’t afford 10K!! Ended up calling him a lying creep who didn’t fool me then blocked him, his English was good but his phrasing was off. I’ve had more creeps since but can usually tell quickly if they are genuine.

• JanWJanW Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

@Anotherone said:
    They are out.... Ladies, please start screenshot these slim bags, and share. Different set up, but still the same bullshit.

The scammers need to use another story the one they all use is getting old, do they all go to scammer school and use the same stories and outpouring of love devotion etc. Sometimes I find it amusing(my husband doesn’t)

• shelbydi66shelbydi66 Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I have a similar story. Brian Thompson 555 started a game with me a week ago. I don't usually answer the chat box unless I know the person, but his photo was of an older gentleman who looked pleasant and harmless. Initially he said he was from Bel Air, Maryland, US. Widower, wife died 16 years ago in childbirth. Two children a daughter aged 16 and a son aged 23. Pleasant at first, he told me he was looking for a nice, mature woman as he was lonely. I was sceptical so decided I'd play along. Our chats were pleasant, although I didn't provide much personal information (or at least nothing that was the truth apart from the fact I was actually married). After a couple of days his grammar became less fluent, almost as if he were a different person. He then said he was a contract oil rigger on an oil rig in Spain. He mentioned that he had a sick friend (not sure if this was going to be the scam). I noticed he played with only older woman and no men. I eventually got bored with the endless outpourings of love, what a "wonderful, caring, passionate" woman I was. How lucky my husband was etc. The whole situation upset me as I'm lucky to have a wonderful husband and family, friends, work colleagues and I was aware from the start that it was a scam, but it saddened me that there are probably women out there who are lonely, have been in abusive relationships etc that are being targeted by these scammers who are flattering them with declarations of love and boosting their confidence only to shatter with by defrauding them. It also made me realise some poor, unsuspecting gentleman out there is having his photo abused by these scammers.

It's very sad.... I had 3 scammers yesterday.
    Stay safe!
  • Judester8Judester8 Posts: 6Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon
    > @London said:
    > Beware of Denis Morgan. He certainly is eye candy but same story as the others...he is an OB/GYN in the Navy. Stationed in Tela Viv Isearl. Starts out sweet then asks for the iTunes gift card. Blah blah blah. Here are some of the pictures he sent me.

That guy was in the military and was The Bachelor a few years ago
  • Judester8Judester8 Posts: 6Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon
    > @Judester8 said:
    > > @London said:
    > > Beware of Denis Morgan. He certainly is eye candy but same story as the others...he is an OB/GYN in the Navy. Stationed in Tela Viv Isearl. Starts out sweet then asks for the iTunes gift card. Blah blah blah. Here are some of the pictures he sent me.
    >
    > That guy was in the military and was The Bachelor a few years ago. I mean the guy in the photoz
  • MaryScolaMaryScola Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Omg!! I have scammed by three different men in one week!
    Same thing as many of the stories above!
    All widowers, one child, asked a lot of personal questions. Wanted my e-mail...which I did not give.
    Bad grammar used. I am so upset by this! I just wanted to play WWF!
    I resigned and tried to block the player, but because I play without being connected to Facebook, I could not report their names .Very upsetting!
  • PennyR347PennyR347 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I get requests from these scammers daily. Sometimes a few a day. Always the same story. I usually play along for a bit as it’s entertaining. Love making up different personas and wild stories to see how they react. Some actually play and talk well.
    I always block once they ask for money or profess their love after a day or two. lol. Figure that if I keep them busy they’re not harming others.
    I always accept new players have met some real and friendly people on the game too
  • janjan1267janjan1267 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

How would one post a picture of the scammers?

• LynnJ111LynnJ111 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Isn’t it interesting that so many of these military scammers use photographs of famous people!! I just got a user, Cameron Frings, who sent me pictures of Gen James Jones, the former national security adviser to President Obama. He swears up and down that’s who he is and acts insulted when I question his credibility. He hasn’t asked for money yet but it’s only a matter of time. Beware, ladies, he acts very charming but he’s up to no good. Also, all these scammers want you to join Hangouts to chat. Don’t do it. Instead report them to [email protected] and then block them on the app.

Here is Cameron Frings (that IS his user name) app picture.
  • MskadeeMskadee Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

If anyone gets a invite from Robert Barry Scammer.Same story as all you ladies.
    Works for U.N.peace keeping mission.He tells you he is a Doctor on a 4 year contract in Yemen.Wants phone number,email,go to chat room,got a daughter 15 in boarding school,
    Wife dead 4 years .Red flags right from the get go.then he will ask you to send some money for his daughter bla bla bla .Told him to take a hike.Ladies don’t send money ever.
    Be careful .If it is to good to be true.then it’s not.All the pictures they post are all stolen from Facebook profiles.take care and be careful.

• dm514dm514 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    After reading comments from a year ago I realized these scams are still going on ...
    Had a similar experience today ...Frank Wayne Lawrence was his "name"..engineering ,son,dead wife..looking for soulmate,I was"nice",called me dear almost immediately..pushed me with great aggression to hangouts .
  • wwegekers877wwegekers877 Posts: 1,193Registered User, Facebook Connect User Assassin

rule 1 look a tthe person record geez!

• NC705NC705 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I can't believe women fall for this and sent money. How stupid.

• wwegekers877wwegekers877 Posts: 1,193Registered User, Facebook Connect User Assassin

NC705 ya people are so dumb on here not look at the record before start playn sorta are these women so lonely

• JoyintheusaJoyintheusa Posts: 28Registered User, Facebook Connect User Clueless Cookie
    Dm514-
    hi and yes they want you on hangouts because it’s free internationally and they are not in the states. And the game uses up their cellular minutes! Keep em on wwf! Lol **** them off

@Joyintheusa said:
    Dm514-
    hi and yes they want you on hangouts because it’s free internationally and they are not in the states. And the game uses up their cellular minutes! Keep em on wwf! Lol **** them off

hangouts gone!

• WendyC1484WendyC1484 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Please beware of David Williams, who calls you "my Queen" constantly and sends you poetry and also David Hummels, supposedly German from Colorado but sounds Nigerian on the phone. His origins pic is a lion. Told me he loves me after only a short time. So wanted believe him. Sent me photo-shopped photos, of him in front of the rig but the cloud formation was the same. He wanted me to open a bank account so he could transfer $26,000 for his "sea-plane" ticket to come to see me. Works for KCADEUTAG as independent geologist, but their HR has never heard of him. Granddaughter Lisa (studying marine biology) also conversed with me on her friend's phone cos hers was stolen and grandad won't buy her another one. Finally he shot himself in the foot saying it was a 9 hour fight from Lagos (in Nigeria) and he just wanted to be with the woman he loves. Wow!
    Tom Cort asked for money.
    Pete Goros turned out to be his brother in law Carl!!
    Losing the will..

@WendyC1484 said:
    Please beware of David Williams, who calls you "my Queen" constantly and sends you poetry and also David Hummels, supposedly German from Colorado but sounds Nigerian on the phone. His origins pic is a lion. Told me he loves me after only a short time. So wanted believe him. Sent me photo-shopped photos, of him in front of the rig but the cloud formation was the same. He wanted me to open a bank account so he could transfer $26,000 for his "sea-plane" ticket to come to see me. Works for KCADEUTAG as independent geologist, but their HR has never heard of him. Granddaughter Lisa (studying marine biology) also conversed with me on her friend's phone cos hers was stolen and grandad won't buy her another one. Finally he shot himself in the foot saying it was a 9 hour fight from Lagos (in Nigeria) and he just wanted to be with the woman he loves. Wow!
    Tom Cort asked for money.
    Pete Goros turned out to be his brother in law Carl!!
    Losing the will..

anoher plaer jus doesn look a record !