Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What English dictionary do you use? Martian?

Pop_OwsPop_Ows Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Fed up with having know reasonable words not allowed. 'unflap' (as in unflap the tent), 'censual' and 'lucarne' are ALL normal, correctly spelt words. However 'VU' is NOT and NEVER has been a word! SORT yourselves out.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 1,070Super Moderator mod

Your game must be set to a different language (UK English included), @Pop_Ows. This is the reason why there's an inconsistency with the words you play. I suggest to check your settings prior to creating a match or accepting an invite. I've attached few screenshots to help you out.

Before creating a new game

Before accepting an invite

Thanks for understanding.

• Gezinta1937Gezinta1937 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I agree with Pop_Ows. Common words are rejected, like 'squaw'.

• StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 136Registered User, Facebook Connect User The Pesky Helper

And COXED, as in rowing, eg "coxed fours"

• eldanaeldana Posts: 18Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

True unflap does not work, but unflappable does. I do not find unflap in my American dictionary. Sorry a little off topic, but just saying...

• StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 136Registered User, Facebook Connect User The Pesky Helper
    edited August 2017

****, and ARSEY are OK, yet, ARSED, and ARSES are unacceptable... what gives?

Oh FFS! And this forum won't even let me use the word ARS*E !!!

• Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 783Super Moderator mod

@StevePSheehan said:
    ****, and ARSEY are OK, yet, ARSED, and ARSES are unacceptable... what gives?

Oh FFS! And this forum won't even let me use the word ARS*E !!!

Appreciate for sharing this to us, @StevePSheehan. Words " ARSEY, ARSED and ARSES" are derogatory, thus unplayable in the game. We'll make sure to share this to our developers to be worked on. Thank you.

But WHY? Just because "someone" at Zynga Towers considers a particular word to be derogatory, doesn't mean is should be deemed unplayable. SOME words MAY be considered derogatory to SOME people, yet are normal day-to-day language for many others, and are in no way derogatory. Other, perfectly ordinary words, can sometimes be used in an offensive way, or can have different meanings, but they remain in play.

I really think that this game should "grow up", and simply use all legitimate words, as found in any reputable dictionary. Or, if that's unacceptable to some people, then run a "normal" version, with acces to all words, and a "Mary Whitehouse" version, with anything remotely offensive being removed.

BTW:
    Arsey = stroppy
    Arsed = bothered
    Arses = a plural

NONE of which are in any way derogatory!

Come on Zynga, grow up please!

• Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 783Super Moderator mod

Appreciate the sentiment, @StevePSheehan. Your feedback on this matter is already been shared with our developers. Thank you.

• PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 75Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet
    edited October 2017

My mistake - ignore this ;-)

• dabbie40dabbie40 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I don't understand how a word can be valid but a word contained in the definition of the word played is not valid. Example the word played was AJIVA. Within the definition of AJIVA is the word JIVA. When I looked up JIVA in your dictionary it said JIVA is not a valid word with WWF.

• pbkneadspbkneads Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Other common words disallowed: LEINS; ALOTTED

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,202Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@pbkneads @dabbie40 You can submit suggestions here http://zynga.my/SuggestAWord

I've suggested many myself but none have been accepted. Hope you have better luck!

• w0rd_midasw0rd_midas Posts: 169Super Moderator mod

We appreciate the feedback, @dabbie40 and @pbkneads. Like what @linkshighlights said, you may send your requests of Words to be playable by checking this link https://zynga.my/SuggestAWord. Thank you.

• JStuartJStuart Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Agree with the sentiment that the dictionary is awful. For example, DELT is a valid word (n. the deltoid muscle), but DELTS is "not valid." WHAAT?? "Delts" is even used in the dictionary's example. ("I think about squeezing my rear delts before I exhale ....") Puhleeze! And Zynga shouldn't be making value judgments about "derogatory" words. For example, **** (n. a cigarette, or a drudge) is not acceptable because some people use it in a demeaning manor. But QUEER is deemed okay.

• dljackleydljackley Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

If you try to highlight a word that has been played, and the dictionary screen pops up, why are so many of the "words" labeled as "valid" but "no definition exists". If they are truly valid, there should be a definition.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,202Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@dljackley This is one of my greatest pet-peeves about this game. It's like they never finished development. Yesterday I spelled the work "karat" as in 24 karat gold. Instead of saying it was a measure of purity, it said no definition was available. It just adds confusion and people think you're cheating or spelling nonexistent words.

Since the Moderators never login and answer questions on the forum any longer, maybe they can type in some missing definitions!

• JStuartJStuart Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Another example: VAPE is a verb but VAPES and VAPED are "invalid." WTF?

• jsshowalterjsshowalter Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

More examples of valid words that Zynga calls "invalid"--

GIVETH
    GOETH
    BUSSER
    DOULAS (but "doula" is okay; I guess you can have 1 but not 2)

I suspect the King James Bible would disagree about "giveth" and "goeth." And in addition to these examples, there are numerous abbreviations and acronyms that are deemed to be "words" even though they're not. Occasionally a proper noun is allowed, even though it's against the rules, and the frequent problem of "sorry, no definition exists" is extremely frustrating.

This would be a far better game if Zynga would FIX THEIR AWFUL DICTIONARY.