Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm not happy with these Hindsight and RADAR features, it feels like cheating to me!

CvBCvB Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I really don't like these two new features Hindsight and RADAR that have turned up in my Game. OK, it's a wee bit of fun to start with, and it might also get you thinking outside your usual range of words...but you cannot tell if your opponent is using the features! It feels like cheating to me...please take the **** things off, or at least give us the ability to turn it off and see if our opponents are 'cheating' cos that's what it feels like...this has taken the challenge away from serious players.

Comments

• Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 783Super Moderator mod

Appreciate the feedback, @CvB. As of now, the option to know if your opponent using this new feature is unable same goes for disabling it. In the meantime, I'll do my best to convey your concern with the team. Thank you.

• editroom1editroom1 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I LOOOOOVE the return of HINDSIGHT! I was **** that u got rid of it! And radar is great too! Both helpful in strengthening ur game. Anyone who doesnt like it dont press their icons and keep it movin'
  • my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

@jimmlaw said:
    Word Radar and Hindsite just appeared on my phone. My wife and I have been playing each other for years. These new features have ruined the game for us.

@editroom1 said:
    I LOOOOOVE the return of HINDSIGHT! I was **** that u got rid of it! And radar is great too! Both helpful in strengthening ur game. Anyone who doesnt like it dont press their icons and keep it movin'

We appreciate your feedback, @jimmlaw. We'll make sure your sentiment is forwarded. We're happy to know that you love these features, @editroom1! Our developers will surely be happy to hear about this.

All your opinions and feedback are important to us. Rest assured, everything is noted, Wordies.

• FastCatGFastCatG Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Improve your game by increasing your vocabulary @editroom1

@FastCatG said:
    Improve your game by increasing your vocabulary @editroom1

We're in the process on improving our Dictionary consistency, @FastCatG. We'll make sure to keep you posted for updates. Thanks.

@btlt1 said:
    Radar and Hindsight. Take the thing off. Ruins the game. Cheating I call it. All the fun gone out of the game. No longer a challenge. I shall be uninstalling the app if it continues

Appreciate the feedback, @btlt1. Your concern is already forwarded to our developer team. Thank you.

@FRUSTRATED said:
    ...PLEASE remove the 'add-ons' that are hindsight radar AND NOW swap+....you have RUINED the whole game!!!

As of now, the ability to option out these features are unavailable. Nonetheless, we've already forwarded your feedback to the developers. Thank you.

• tibeastabungotibeastabungo Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I have to agree. There needs to be a way to opt out of these power ups. And a way to know if your opponent is using them. It has ruined the integrity of the game.
  • David1710David1710 Posts: 43Registered User, Facebook Connect User Grasshopper
    ... I see from today the game win bonus is down to 6 from 10.

This is purely to get players to buy more coins for the purchases of the power ups word radar & swap +. The integrity of the game has gone, players who purchase coins and use these power up have a clear advantage during games. The weekly badge challenge for a minimal 100 coins is a joke. I've not hit my target for months and it's still over 35,000 points.

The algorithms within the game have undoubtedly been changed to encourage players to use swap + ... I've never played or discussed so many games whete players receive all vowels or all consonants.

Zynga need to introduce a way of letting opponents know that power ups are being used and then players can decided themselves if they wish to play players with a clear advantage.

On all the discussions, chats & questions I've seen on these forums, the only reply from Zynga you ever see is 'thank for the feedback', 'our developers are looking into it'

Zynga dotcom millionaires must have about as much integrity as the game Words With Friends has right now
  • EnemyWordsEnemyWords Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I agree. This game has enough luck involved, now we have to deal with people using power ups? There should be an option for players to agree to use /not use these power ups, prior to a game so that purists can appreciate the strategy of the game.

I'm not sure what swap + is but it sounds along these same lines.

And finally, tile bag? Telling people what my letters are in the end game? That not only gives an unfair advantage, but I used to use the fact that I knew how many of each letter was to determine my opponent's rack in the end game, but now you've taken that ability and strategy and advantage away from me.

Please, remove these cheats that give players, unfair advantage in a game that already has way too much luck involved, especially with a bad algorithm.

Thank you!
  • my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

@EnemyWords said:
    I agree. This game has enough luck involved, now we have to deal with people using power ups? There should be an option for players to agree to use /not use these power ups, prior to a game so that purists can appreciate the strategy of the game.

I'm not sure what swap + is but it sounds along these same lines.

And finally, tile bag? Telling people what my letters are in the end game? That not only gives an unfair advantage, but I used to use the fact that I knew how many of each letter was to determine my opponent's rack in the end game, but now you've taken that ability and strategy and advantage away from me.

Please, remove these cheats that give players, unfair advantage in a game that already has way too much luck involved, especially with a bad algorithm.

Thank you!

The kind of option that you mentioned is unavailable at this moment; however, we can assist you by forwarding your feedback, including the Tile Bag, @EnemyWords. As for the Tile Swap Plus, this feature allows you to swap without losing your turn. We appreciate your thoughts about the game.

• StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 136Registered User, Facebook Connect User The Pesky Helper

@EnemyWords said:

Whilst I would agree with anyone that wants to get rid of the "cheats", I disagree re the tile bag. If you cast your mind back to the original Scrabble board game, on the back of the score sheets was a list of all the letters, and the number of each; the idea being that you could, if you so desired, cross off the letters as they were played, and see at a glance what was left. Whilst I would accept that most casual players did not do this, it WAS available, and the current tile bag is, IMHO, simply an electronic version of this, albeit easier to access.

That said though, if losing the tile bag was the price for getting rid of all the other cheats, and restoring the integrity of the game, then it gets my vote for sure.

• Skip52_kuningSkip52_kuning Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I do not like the ability to swap tiles without losing a turn using the new power up. I did not ask for it, I don't like it, and it is unfair to those who don't have or use them. It seems like Zynga is subscribing to the basic philosophy of the rich in the USA: if you don't like the hand you are dealt, don't work to overcome it, just buy your way out! What is next, buying a whole game if you have enough tokens? I don't mind the power ups that help you learn, but the swap and word radar are a form of cheating. I prefer to use my intellect and learn new words to play well, I don't cheat. I have resigned all my games in progress, and have deleted the app!

@StevePSheehan said:

@EnemyWords said:

Whilst I would agree with anyone that wants to get rid of the "cheats", I disagree re the tile bag. If you cast your mind back to the original Scrabble board game, on the back of the score sheets was a list of all the letters, and the number of each; the idea being that you could, if you so desired, cross off the letters as they were played, and see at a glance what was left. Whilst I would accept that most casual players did not do this, it WAS available, and the current tile bag is, IMHO, simply an electronic version of this, albeit easier to access.

That said though, if losing the tile bag was the price for getting rid of all the other cheats, and restoring the integrity of the game, then it gets my vote for sure.

@Skip52_kuning said:
    I do not like the ability to swap tiles without losing a turn using the new power up. I did not ask for it, I don't like it, and it is unfair to those who don't have or use them. It seems like Zynga is subscribing to the basic philosophy of the rich in the USA: if you don't like the hand you are dealt, don't work to overcome it, just buy your way out! What is next, buying a whole game if you have enough tokens? I don't mind the power ups that help you learn, but the swap and word radar are a form of cheating. I prefer to use my intellect and learn new words to play well, I don't cheat. I have resigned all my games in progress, and have deleted the app!

Thank you for giving us your sentiments and feedback on the Power-ups, @StevePSheehan and @Skip52_kuning. Rest assure that all your concerns about this feature are being forwarded and reviewed by our developers daily. Thank you for understanding.

• denhickdenhick Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Hate hate hate the new features. If it aint broke don't fix it.

@denhick said:
    Hate hate hate the new features. If it aint broke don't fix it.

We appreciate your feedback. We've already relayed your concern to our developers. Thank you.

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,202Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@Piers_Fiddler said:
    We appreciate your feedback. We've already relayed your concern to our developers. Thank you.

I'm curious... do you forward this complaint every time someone else shares their feelings or did you only send the first one you received back in February and ignore the rest since then? I'm not sure your development team realizes how unpopular these features are.

• w0rd_midasw0rd_midas Posts: 169Super Moderator mod

@linkshighlights said:

@Piers_Fiddler said:

I'm curious... do you forward this complaint every time someone else shares their feelings or did you only send the first one you received back in February and ignore the rest since then? I'm not sure your development team realizes how unpopular these features are.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Rest assured that we're forwarding your feedback about the rolled out features and along with other concerns, we're including them in our daily report for the developer's reference. We do appreciate your follow up on this. For now, please stay tuned.

• KarenAEKarenAE Posts: 6Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon
    I am totally HATING and not happy at all with the power up tiles!! They completely ruin the game. Why can't we just keep the game as much like Scrabble as possible?
    The power up tiles get rid of everything that makes the game fun!
    I don't use them. I pretend they aren't even there. But I can't tell if others are using them, and I can't turn this feature off.
    I know I'm repeating myself here, but I'm trying to get across how strongly I feel. These power ups are a bad idea. They ruin the whole idea of the game.

@KarenAE said:
    I am totally HATING and not happy at all with the power up tiles!! They completely ruin the game. Why can't we just keep the game as much like Scrabble as possible?
    The power up tiles get rid of everything that makes the game fun!
    I don't use them. I pretend they aren't even there. But I can't tell if others are using them, and I can't turn this feature off.
    I know I'm repeating myself here, but I'm trying to get across how strongly I feel. These power ups are a bad idea. They ruin the whole idea of the game.

Thanks for sharing your sentiment, @KarenAE. We believe that power-ups have the potential to make Words With Friends more enjoyable for players by giving them options to get unstuck when they just can’t find a move. We care deeply about the integrity of the game and will be monitoring player feedback as we go forward. Have a great day.

• scrabblepugscrabblepug Posts: 10Registered User, Facebook Connect User Pumpkin
    edited October 2017

Do the same for Zynga Poker -- allow for free trades of cards, without the other players knowing. After all, sometimes, players just can't reasonably play their hand because their cards are terrible. Why not help them out and get them "unstuck?" Let them exchange some or all of their cards without their opponents knowing, and return their garbage cards to the deck to be dealt in subsequent hands. Hint: free swaps and the situation described are EXACTLY equivalent. (And in case my meaning may escape Zynga management, let me spell it out: I am not seriously proposing this for poker. As anyone who is even slightly familiar with poker would recognize, it would ruin the game. Contact me for further clarification if you find this confusing.)

• PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 75Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet

Love the comparison Cindy - perfect :-)

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,202Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@Piers_Fiddler said:
    The integrity of the game is something we care deeply about, and we believe that power-ups can help make Words With Friends more fun by providing players options to get unstuck when they can’t find any moves to make.

Do you realize that is part of some peoples strategy? A good players uses defense as much as they use offense. If someone is stuck, you try to keep them stuck to protect your lead. So providing them a way to get unstuck is making the game LOSE integrity. I don't know why you don't understand that.

That's odd... I posted the above message in October, and it just showed up yesterday while I was away. LOL