Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giphy Removal Announcement

jackjack Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
edited September 2017 in Feedback & Suggestions
If Zynga doesn't offer a way to turn off the gif pop ups, I am going to delete my WWF and never buy anything else from them. It's incredibly obnoxious and offensive.

Comments

• WordsWords Posts: 0Registered User, Facebook Connect User New to the Forums

I have played Words with Friends for a few years now and generally speaking am a huge fan. However, I was really disappointed when my 9 year old daughter showed me this ad that popped up after she played a word. She only just joined as we thought that it would help with her vocabulary and spelling but if this keeps up, we will have no choice but to quit the game....!

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 177Registered User Investigator
    That is a "feature" not an ad. Zynga thought it would be fun to auto-link to a third party company that hosts GIF videos based on the word played. The problem is Zynga has no control of the content of these GIF animations. As you see even the most innocuous words can generate very inappropriate videos. Most are fun little animation loops. Some are PG13, some R and even a few are X rated. There is no way to disable this feature. I know it sounds ridiculous to ask a nine-year-old not to "shake" their phone/tablet, but that is the only way to keep them from appearing.
  • StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 136Registered User, Facebook Connect User The Pesky Helper

If you were to email X rated pictures/videos like these to a minor, I suspect you would lay yourself open to police prosecution! What's so different here?

• Miksits1Miksits1 Posts: 1Registered User, User Awaiting Email Confirmation, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Get rid of gif pop-ups or add option to delete these obnoxious interruptions of a game. The 'shake' feature is so sensitive that when my cat meows the gif comes up to interrupt yet another game. I will be deleting WWF if problem not solved soon.
  • linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,268Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

@Miksits1 LOL at the cat's meow comment. Unfortunately complaints of this gimmick seem to date back to Sept 2016. Despite countless negative feedback allegedly being forwarded by the Moddies to the developers, nothing has changed. So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

• w0rd_midasw0rd_midas Posts: 169Super Moderator mod

Hello, Wordies. We’ve heard your sentiments on inappropriate Giphy images that appear after a word was played. After investigating these reports, the developers have decided to remove this content to maintain the game’s fun and family friendly atmosphere. Thank you all for your continuous support and love of the game. Keep on playing!

• linkshighlightslinkshighlights Posts: 1,268Registered User, Facebook Connect User Genius Genie

That's great news. Too bad you Moddies had to ban and lockout a few good people who were trying to look out for the community before you finally came to this decision.

• PaulStevensPaulStevens Posts: 75Registered User, Facebook Connect User Black Sheep of ze Internet

Only took a year of complaints; still, better very, very late than never. Hopefully a lesson learned by Zynga, that they should listen to their customers. Good news, and a good result.

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 177Registered User Investigator
    "Hopefully a lesson learned by Zynga, that they should listen to their customers."
    I think Zynga listened to their Legal Team and a maybe notice from Apple App age rating oversight. I have not seen Zynga be very responsive at all to other customer feedback. Look at all the negative feedback concerning cheats like Free Tile Swap, Radar and Hindsight. And the new "feature" of immediate Play instead of having a two-step confirmation.
  • robbboydrobbboyd Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I agree. How do you just play the game with opening boxes...getting coins...blah blah blah?!?! What a worthless addition to a good game. I’d feel like I was being held hostage, but I’d pay to just play the game without all the nonsense.
  • robbboydrobbboyd Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    And I’ll add that these features made my 92year old mother stop playing. It got too complicated for her.
  • Cami_wizCami_wiz Posts: 5Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon

Just purchase the ad free version ... for your daughter.

• WinniewaWinniewa Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Cannot connect to words with friend,I think I might of accidentally deleted it and now it won't let me down load