Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inappropriate Giphy Videos

rosesnorosesno Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
Our family of six (two adults and kids ages 9-15) has been playing Words with Friends together for many years with great enjoyment. However it appears that we will need to end our game play. I am extremely disappointed with the new Giphy feature which includes numerous inappropriate video clips. I do not believe, that with this feature, you can continue to say your content is appropriate for ages 4+. As I have not yet found a way to turn off/restrict this feature, it appears our only option is to discontinue use of this app.
:(

Comments

• Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 983Super Moderator mod

Hi, @rosesno. Appreciate your feedback on this and I'll do my best to have this forwarded. In the meantime, you may report these clips by accessing this link, look for the Words that showed the inappropriate images, then go to "Report this GIF". You may also need to state your reason why these videos need to be reported.

While the team is reviewing this matter, I suggest to refrain from shaking your phone/tablet after making a turn so these animations won't appear again.

Thank you for your patience.

• rosesnorosesno Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Unfortunately, I do not feel either of your solutions are helpful. There are dozens, or more likely, hundreds of inappropriate videos, many of which pop up with seemingly innocent words. It is very unrealistic to track down and report every inappropriate video.

As for not "shaking" our devices--that is nearly impossible, especially for kids. These videos have popped up many times when we haven't even realized our device has been shaken.

Again, very disappointed with Zynga for issuing these.
  • LahainaLaadyLahainaLaady Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Please allow us to opt out of Giphy with a disable option. ASAP. Thank you!

• LahainaLaadyLahainaLaady Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Please. ASAP. Offer an option to disable the Giphy feature. Too many of these are inappropriate for children, vulgar and offensive. Parental control needed over this feature. I would consider this an adult feature.

@LahainaLaady said:
    Please allow us to opt out of Giphy with a disable option. ASAP. Thank you!

@LahainaLaady said:
    Please. ASAP. Offer an option to disable the Giphy feature. Too many of these are inappropriate for children, vulgar and offensive. Parental control needed over this feature. I would consider this an adult feature.

Appreciate your feedback regarding the inappropriate Giphy images, @LahainaLaady. Rest assured that your concern reaches our team. In the meantime, you may report these by following the steps I've previously mentioned.

Thank you for your patience.

• BostonmomBostonmom Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I agree with this mother. I find it very offensive when I am relaxing and playing wwf with other 50+ Year-old moms and an obscene giphy pops up. It ruins my relaxing moment. In fact I find it anxiety provoking. Please let me opt out of giphy

• selkie62selkie62 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    So, not much progress on this issue. How about severing your relationship with giphy altogether. These images are not only inappropriate, they promote sexism and encourage sexual assault. WWF can't possibly want to continue to send the message to your subscribers that endorse this attempt to demean and objectify women. If I receive one more image of this nature I will close my account and I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same. In addition, I will encourage others to do the same on every social media site and every publication that I can find. Gloves are coming off!
  • patsypurrlpatsypurrl Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I have been noticing these intermittent videos popping up, & a few have been inappropriate, but today, a friend played 'hump' & a video of **** **** being performed popped up!! I am so disgusted because my 7 year old grandson has just started playing & I refuse to take the chance of him being exposed to this! I googled the question of how to remove it & saw that I couldn't? Please tell me why?!?!
  • patsypurrlpatsypurrl Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    :# I just looked back at my post & saw you wouldn't spell out the offensive action that I named in the video, but you'll play the video for anyone, including young children to see? THAT is absolutely heartbreaking, & a prime example of the moral decline in our country. Please remove giphy videos from WWF ASAP!
  • jadag88jadag88 Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I agree. All of these extra "features" should be optional. I never intentionally shake my phone after playing a word, and am often surprised when a video pops up. Very annoying. You are going to start losing customers if you don't cut out the clutter.
  • CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 33Registered User Forum Traveller
    I agree. Please just stop with these extra "features". Zynga really does not seem to understand their users. Just make a good, clean simple interface to support a great word game.
  • mtylerkxmtylerkx Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Is this appropriate in your game? Take some responsibility for it and stop it!
  • OhGeezzzzOhGeezzzz Posts: 19Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

Hello Zynga Support,

The first time I noticed this I was a bit in shock, and unfortunately, there was someone sitting next to me. Explaining the incident was not pleasant, after the person saw what popped up on my screen.

I wish the incident could have been avoided, but thanks to the lack of action you guys take, and how these things don't get fixed, there's really not much to do here but to hide your phone from the world.

"Way to go, Zynga!"

• CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 33Registered User Forum Traveller
    edited June 13
    And Zynga's official response is "refrain from shaking your phone/tablet after making a turn". Right. I'll tell that to my seven-year-old. I think WWF needs to up-age their 4+ age rating in the App Store. Amazing Zynga is not taking more responsibility for these obscene videos auto-playing in Words With Friends.
    If you insist on bloating WWF adding all this crapola (Hindsight, Radar, badges, Giphys) Fine. But then you should also offer a premium version of WWF for serious players (and kid friendly) stripped of all the stupid "bling" that has been added in the last few versions.
  • skyelingskyeling Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    All of these new features, giphy, hindsight, word radar, are clearly attempts to increase revenue in a way that ensures money will continue to trickle in each month. Perhaps you could offer a small monthly subscription fee for users who want to play without these distractions? Or at least find a G rated replacement for the stupid giphys?
  • Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 325Super Moderator mod

Appreciate the feedback, @skyeling. I'll do my best to share your concern with the team. Thank you.

• SterlimgSterlimg Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I also have seen inappropriate videos. I'm sorry this game has allowed this to happen. Do you not have a say so in what videos are shown on your sight? The video I saw was two women on a bed pawing at each other. At the time I didn't understand what it was connected to. I thought if said the other player viewed this video. He would have been horrified. I am sorry to say I never played another game with him.

• SterlimgSterlimg Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Should we also avoid laying our iPads down, since that brings up video's. Should we avoid playing words like ****, since god know what video our opponent will see? Take responsibility for making a buck without doing the due diligence you should have done concerning video's that would be shown on your site.

That three letter word started with an s and needed with an x. My gosh, you worry about that word and show obscene video's???

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 208Super Moderator mod

@Sterlimg said:
    I also have seen inappropriate videos. I'm sorry this game has allowed this to happen. Do you not have a say so in what videos are shown on your sight? The video I saw was two women on a bed pawing at each other. At the time I didn't understand what it was connected to. I thought if said the other player viewed this video. He would have been horrified. I am sorry to say I never played another game with him.

@Sterlimg said:
    Should we also avoid laying our iPads down, since that brings up video's. Should we avoid playing words like ****, since god know what video our opponent will see? Take responsibility for making a buck without doing the due diligence you should have done concerning video's that would be shown on your site.

@Sterlimg said:
    That three letter word started with an s and needed with an x. My gosh, you worry about that word and show obscene video's???

The team has already been reviewing the videos being shown on Giphy, and they're also working for some enhancement on the filtering system. As of this moment, @Sterlimg, the option to disable this feature has yet been made available. For now, you may avoid it from coming to your game by not shaking your device. We'll do our best to relay all your feedback.

edited July 22
    My sister-in-law just played P-E-N-I-S. A perfectly acceptable word in WWF. You should have seen the giphys that "popped-up" (so to speak).
    Zynga really needs to take some responsibility here. At minimum provide an option to disable auto-play of Giphys.

@Cbadland said:
    My sister-in-law just played P-E-N-I-S. A perfectly acceptable word in WWF. You should have seen the giphys that "popped-up" (so to speak).
    Zynga really needs to take some responsibility here. At minimum provide an option to disable auto-play of Giphys.

We have forwarded your feedback to our developers. Thanks for understanding.

• eldanaeldana Posts: 13Registered User, Facebook Connect User Pumpkin

Well that last comment from the mod was on July 25. a second ago, I played the word 'gun' and shook my phone just to see what would happen... I got a gif of I guy blasting a semi automatic rifle from a movie. It's a young Al Pacino, maybe from Carlito's Way or Scarface. Whatever movie that gif is from, it takes the word 'gun' to a totally different level. I took a screenshot but I don't know how to get it in this post.

Well that ladt comment from the mod was in July 25 (for a thread started in nov 2016). Anyway, I just played yhe word 'gun' and shook my phine to sss what would happen... I got a gif of a guy bladting a semi automatic rifle. I think it's a young Al Pacino, maybe from Carlito's Way or Scarface. Whatever movie that gif is from, it takes the word to a totally diggerent level. The screenshot is not great. You might not be able to see the gun in it, though you can see it in the gif.

Sorry for the bad text (in the last post) hard to type on my phone!

Appreciate the feedback and additional info, @eldana. Our developers are already reviewing this giphy. Thank you for understanding.

• StevePSheehanStevePSheehan Posts: 110Registered User, Facebook Connect User Cloudylicious
    edited August 15

Interesting to note that this thread was started way back in November, last year, 2016, yet the problem persists.

SO good to know that the Mods appreciate the feedback, and that the developers are stil reviewing things.

edited August 15
    Should we start posting screen grabs of inappropriate gifs that auto play on Zynga Words with Friends? Really guys, you need to either end auto play for a product from an outside source, or have an option to disable the feature. Keep WWF a family friendly game.

@Cbadland said:
    Should we start posting screen grabs of inappropriate gifs that auto play on Zynga Words with Friends? Really guys, you need to either end auto play for a product from an outside source, or have an option to disable the feature. Keep WWF a family friendly game.

Appreciate the feedback, this concern is already been reported to our developers to be worked on. Thank you for understanding.