Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Appreciation - Developer Q&A Thread

Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super ModeratorPosts: 1,070Super Moderator mod

We’re pleased to announce our Player Appreciation Event’s Developer Q&A session!

On July 12th from 2-3pm PST, we will have members from our Developer Team reply to questions you post here on the forum.

A few things to keep in mind:

Due to the nature of running a business, some questions won’t be answered due to confidentiality. We will answer questions to the best of our ability.

Please keep questions succinct and straight-forward, it will make it much easier for the team to answer questions, and in turn, more questions will be answered as a result of efficiency.

Please remain civil in your questions and comments. Any insults will not be tolerated, and may result in a ban from the forum.

Thanks for your dedication, and May The Best Friend Win!

Comments

• Jenny7889Jenny7889 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Why, after paying for no adds, am I receiving adds after every move. Love the game but feel I have been coned.

• AJP1228AJP1228 Dramachine Posts: 7Registered User Loose Cannon

Why does my Android app not pull in my current Facebook profile picture? I have logged out and logged back in (and I log in using Facebook), and you still won't update the picture. Also, after all this time I STILL can't add my college to my profile. I don't think it will let me edit anything on my profile; it always says "you have edited something which can't be changed" and it won't let me save the changes. Can you please fix this? Thank you.

Can you please increase the size of the game board on the Facebook desktop version? When you redesigned it a long time ago, you made the board too small to see well. Can you please enlarge it a little? I don't like zooming my browser because that messes up other sites. Thank you.

Can you please get the ads to load faster on the Facebook desktop version and also do away with the videos? I can usually refresh the page quicker than I can close the slow-loading ads. I no longer like playing WWF on my laptop because of this and because of the small gameboard (mentioned above). Thank you.

Can you please get rid of the video ads on the Android app? They are loud when one is in public, they interfere with my radio app when I'm at home (I normally have the radio app playing in the background on my tablet), and it's annoying to have to wait for several seconds of video to play after every move.

Also, can you please stop loading the screens which tell me about features such as the dictionary? It takes those screens even longer to come up than the ads, plus they are annoying to see over and over and over. I understand why you need to have ads to support the free game, but I don't understand why you keep bugging us with the screens about the game features.

Thank you.

Is there anything you can do to keep my game active in my Android browser if I temporarily want to switch programs and get word ideas from the internet? Usually when I can get back to the app, it's closed and must be re-opened. There was a time when this didn't happen. I don't know if it's your app kicking me out or if it's an issue with my tablet. Thank you.

• FourpuntersFourpunters Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

When I open Words, I am often informed about people who are currently online - including two people I used to play with but eventually "un friended" on FB. I have no way of removing them from my Words list of players. I don't care if they are online and I would prefer they didn't know I was online. Why can't I edit my own Leaderboard?

• CooolmarilynCooolmarilyn Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User Not a Title, but a Star

Will Words With Friends ever become a streaming app used on Roku?

• mariemmariem Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Hi there. On the American version (Android), there is the Dictionary facility but the English version doesn't have that option. It's great for finding out the meaning of the obscure word your opponent just played! Is it possible for it be added to the English Classic version please?
    Also, why does WwF allow words for which the Dictionary says there is no definition? Is it a 'real' word if it has no meaning?
    Thank you.

• mariemmariem Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Can I also plead for ads without sound? They are very intrusive when playing Words in a quiet environment. Thank you.

• Marie_grand23Marie_grand23 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Why do you play adds where the letters for the moves are? It's enough with adds in between games. I have vision issues and I need to use my iPad for bigger letters. If iPad is on vertical position, you intrude on the moves by placing adds where the letters are. I usually have to rotate to play horizontally but then I can't see well. You need to think of disabilities too.

• entheogenentheogen Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

Okay I've tried to get some words added to the game in the past, but not a single one has been admitted to this day. I'm just curious as to whether my suggestions are getting looked at and considered. Some are minerals, which this game has no problem including in its word repository. I hope this goes noticed and gets a response from the WWF support staff. Thanks for your time.

Here they are:

cyprine
    ptilolite // clinoptilolite
    entheogen
    azulejo
    trustafarian
    eudialyte

• vgold4vgold4 Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I would love to see a chat option to send to all current games,so I could send 'I m off to bed' or 'Good morning'. . Jmho. Thanks.
  • SavedByGraceSavedByGrace Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

An expandable chat typing box would be extremely helpful. That way I could see what I've typed before I send it. Sometimes I repeat myself not to mention spelling mistakes because I can only see a short line of text as I type.

• waleron902waleron902 Posts: 2Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@Cooolmarilyn said:
    Will Words With Friends ever become a streaming app used on Roku?

Hey Cooolmarilyn, I'm an engineer on the WWF mobile side.

That's a great idea. We don't currently have plans to add WWF to Roku, but if there is a lot of player desire from the community, we might add it to our list of to dos.

Sound out in the forums and see how many people like that idea!

• PriceboyPriceboy Posts: 3Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@entheogen said:
    Okay I've tried to get some words added to the game in the past, but not a single one has been admitted to this day. I'm just curious as to whether my suggestions are getting looked at and considered. Some are minerals, which this game has no problem including in its word repository. I hope this goes noticed and gets a response from the WWF support staff. Thanks for your time.

Here they are:

cyprine
    ptilolite // clinoptilolite
    entheogen
    azulejo
    trustafarian
    eudialyte

Hey! I'm an engineer on Words With Friends.
    First of all entheogen great question, we get hundreds of thousands of new word suggestions every day! We have it in our roadmap to add as many new words as we can however we prioritize words by popularity. So although cyprine is an awesome word, I can't guarantee it will be the most popular of word submissions!

Thanks for your question.

• PixiePowerPixiePower Community Manager Posts: 49Community Manager mod

@Jenny7889 said:
    Why, after paying for no adds, am I receiving adds after every move. Love the game but feel I have been coned.

Hi Jenny, thank you for your question. I'm the Community Manager for Words With Friends and it's great to hear that you enjoy the game enough that this is a concern for you.

First off, I apologize that you've experienced this within the game, as I know you've paid for the no-ad feature. My advice to you is to please contact our Customer Support and let them know that you're experiencing this issue. You'll want to give them as much information as possible so they can investigate this thoroughly for you. Given this is a feature you've paid for that isn't working appropriately, they will assist you.

You can contact Support here: https://zyngasupport.helpshift.com/a/words-with-friends/?contact=1

They'll be able to fix you right up!

Thank you for participating in our Q&A session and for your dedication to the game!

@Fourpunters said:
    When I open Words, I am often informed about people who are currently online - including two people I used to play with but eventually "un friended" on FB. I have no way of removing them from my Words list of players. I don't care if they are online and I would prefer they didn't know I was online. Why can't I edit my own Leaderboard?

Hey Fourpunters, have you tried out our ‘Block’ feature? If you go to a player’s profile, in the top right is a button which will give you the option to block specific players, and if one day you decide you want to unblock someone, you can go into settings to manage your block list.

Blocking a player effectively eliminates them from surfacing anywhere in the app.

Thanks!

• kenfuciuskenfucius Posts: 2Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@vgold4 said:
    I would love to see a chat option to send to all current games,so I could send 'I m off to bed' or 'Good morning'. . Jmho. Thanks.

Hey vgold4! I'm a dev on the Words With Friends mobile app, and spent quite a bit of time working on chat so I hope it has been working well for you!
    I actually really like your idea, and will be speaking to the rest of the team about potentially getting this into the game at some point in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion!

@AJP1228 said:
    Is there anything you can do to keep my game active in my Android browser if I temporarily want to switch programs and get word ideas from the internet? Usually when I can get back to the app, it's closed and must be re-opened. There was a time when this didn't happen. I don't know if it's your app kicking me out or if it's an issue with my tablet. Thank you.

Hey AJP1228, looks like you might have found a bug! It sounds like what is happening is when you go to switch applications we are running into an issue and closing the app. We track all these issues and prioritize them based on volume. So if it is a problem with the app that a lot of users are experiencing, we can fix it for a future release.

Thanks.

• kenfuciuskenfucius Posts: 2Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@SavedByGrace said:
    An expandable chat typing box would be extremely helpful. That way I could see what I've typed before I send it. Sometimes I repeat myself not to mention spelling mistakes because I can only see a short line of text as I type.

Hi SavedByGrace! If you're on the latest version of the game the chat typing box should expand to fit 3-5 lines of text. We found that expanding the typing box much further would start to block previous messages in the conversation so players would not be able to read what they were responding to. If you are writing a longer message you can still drag your finger on the typing box to scroll through what you have previously written.

Hope this helps!

• waleron902waleron902 Posts: 2Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@Marie_grand23 said:
    Why do you play adds where the letters for the moves are? It's enough with adds in between games. I have vision issues and I need to use my iPad for bigger letters. If iPad is on vertical position, you intrude on the moves by placing adds where the letters are. I usually have to rotate to play horizontally but then I can't see well. You need to think of disabilities too.

Hi Marie_grand23. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks for spotting this. This sounds like a bug where the ad is covering the tile rack in portrait orientation.

Please send these type of bugs to:
    https://zyngasupport.helpshift.com/a/words-with-friends/?contact=1

And include the details and the following device info:
    1) iPad version (Go to Settings, tap on General, tap on About, see the Model number)
    2) iOS version (Go to Settings, tap on General, tap on About, see the Version number)
    3) Words with Friends app version (Go to the game, tap on Settings, scroll to the bottom of the page and see the version name)

• GYamaGYama Posts: 1Developer Not a Title, but a Star

@AJP1228 said:
    Can you please get rid of the video ads on the Android app? They are loud when one is in public, they interfere with my radio app when I'm at home (I normally have the radio app playing in the background on my tablet), and it's annoying to have to wait for several seconds of video to play after every move.

Also, can you please stop loading the screens which tell me about features such as the dictionary? It takes those screens even longer to come up than the ads, plus they are annoying to see over and over and over. I understand why you need to have ads to support the free game, but I don't understand why you keep bugging us with the screens about the game features.

Thank you.

@AJP1228 - Hi! I work with the Dev team in QA. Thank you for playing our game.
    Unfortunatly, we can not get rid of the Video Ads due to the fact it helps pay us in keeping this game free-to-play.
    Turning off the Sound in the App through Settings should mute all sounds from the App. Hope that helps.

For screens that tell players about certain features, there are still many players that do not
    know about our new Features. I can suggest to our team to stop displaying the screens when Players engage in the
    Feature for the first time.

Really appreciate the feed back and take them seriously.

@AJP1228 said:
    Why does my Android app not pull in my current Facebook profile picture? I have logged out and logged back in (and I log in using Facebook), and you still won't update the picture. Also, after all this time I STILL can't add my college to my profile. I don't think it will let me edit anything on my profile; it always says "you have edited something which can't be changed" and it won't let me save the changes. Can you please fix this? Thank you.

Hi AJP,

Thanks for the question! You should be able to tap your profile picture in-game and you can manually change it that way. Unfortunately it doesn't happen automatically.

As far as adding your college goes, we can look into adding more to our database for you.

Last, but not least, the problem with your profile is something best discussed with Customer Support, as it sounds like you're experiencing a bug of some sort. If you contact them they will be able to assist you further with this. Apologies for the frustration it has surely caused you!

Customer Support: https://zyngasupport.helpshift.com/a/words-with-friends/?contact=1

Thank you for playing Words With Friends!

@AJP1228 said:
    Can you please increase the size of the game board on the Facebook desktop version? When you redesigned it a long time ago, you made the board too small to see well. Can you please enlarge it a little? I don't like zooming my browser because that messes up other sites. Thank you.

Hi!

This question will be best answered by someone on our web team, and we don't have someone handy right now to reply. I will note this question and seek out an answer for you, I promise!

@AJP1228 said:
    Can you please get the ads to load faster on the Facebook desktop version and also do away with the videos? I can usually refresh the page quicker than I can close the slow-loading ads. I no longer like playing WWF on my laptop because of this and because of the small gameboard (mentioned above). Thank you.

This is another one for our web team, and I will look into finding an answer for you. Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who asked questions for our Player Appreciation Event Developer Q&A, we had a great time interacting with you. We will hold more sessions in the future, so please keep an eye out for announcements!

Have a great day, and May The Best Friend Win!

This discussion has been closed.