Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Green dot/Presence feature Feedback

Darryn BrisdazDarryn Brisdaz Clueless CookiePosts: 18Registered User Muffin
edited April 2016 in Feedback & Suggestions
Hi Darryn Brisdaz,

The green dot means that the player is online. By the way, If you want to check Words With Friends Help Center just go to this link: CLICK HERE. If you have any other concerns, just let me know. Thank you for playing Words With Friends and have a nice day!

Comments

• eqwebeqweb Learning the Ropes Posts: 6Registered User
    edited October 2014
    Hi Darryn Brisdaz,

The green dot means that the player is online. By the way, If you want to check Words With Friends Help Center just go to this link: CLICK HERE. If you have any other concerns, just let me know. Thank you for playing Words With Friends and have a nice day!

How do you disable that function? I don't always want people to know I'm online :(
  • Scrabbler-BabblerScrabbler-Babbler Muffin Posts: 19Registered User Muffin
    edited November 2014
    Privacy? Where is the opt out option?
  • Princess in PinkPrincess in Pink Super Moderator Posts: 18Super Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    Hello Eqweb and Scrabbler-Babbler,

As of the moment, there is no option to turn off the Green Presence Indicator but rest assured the New Words with Friends Team is reviewing all game features to make the game safe and enjoyable to all the players. By the way, for other game updates, please check out our Facebook Page.

Thank you for understanding.
  • Scrabbler-BabblerScrabbler-Babbler Muffin Posts: 19Registered User Muffin
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the reply Princess. With all due respect, isn't this something that should have been thought through BEFORE implementation? There are any number of potential problems with this from a privacy perspective. The idea that everybody who plays this game is now broadcasting whenever they play and have no ability to control that is crazy! Surely this "feature" should be disabled, then only enabled once there is an option to control it. Furthermore it should default to being turned off when it is reactivated.

Please can you take this up with the team as a matter of urgency? Thanks.
  • WordsWithWordsWordsWithWords Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited November 2014
    Scrabbler-Babbler... If you don't like it, don't play the game. You really think the enemy is out there learning valuable information based on your Words With Friends playing history? "matter of urgency"... give me a break.
  • FundiFundi Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited November 2014
    WordsWithWords... why the hostile reply? It seems reasonable to request that privacy should be the default option. It is not hard to think of a number of scenarios where people may not wish others to know they are playing at that time for perfectly legitimate reasons. Just because you appear to be unable to think of such reasons yourself, that should not mean making judgements on all other people's situations. It is less likely concern about "the enemy", more likely not upsetting a friend!

Like others, I feel that this is not a good decision. Who benefits from this? Why would other players want or need to know that one of their playing partners is online? Surely the fact that their playing partner either plays a turn or sends them a message is sufficient? Whether or not the previous poster has a legitimate case for implementing the online presence indicator, what possible reason could he/she have for resisting making it optional?
  • my2centzwurfmy2centzwurf Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited December 2014
    Scrabbler-Babbler... If you don't like it, don't play the game. You really think the enemy is out there learning valuable information based on your Words With Friends playing history? "matter of urgency"... give me a break.

I too feel your response to the previous poster was condescending, unwarranted and mean. The question was a legitimate one. I think you were criticized a lot as a child and you surf the Internet for others to criticize hoping to make others feel as dumb as someone made you. You actually took time to read and comment on a question that had nothing to do with you. See a psyche, stay off the net and leave people alone
  • KelliMigKelliMig Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited December 2014
    I changed from an iPhone to galaxy last weekend and now no one has green dots. Any idea why?
  • irjoe81irjoe81 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited December 2014
    I too feel your response to the previous poster was condescending, unwarranted and mean. The question was a legitimate one. I think you were criticized a lot as a child and you surf the Internet for others to criticize hoping to make others feel as dumb as someone made you. You actually took time to read and comment on a question that had nothing to do with you. See a psyche, stay off the net and leave people alone

Um, don't you see the irony here?
  • mooset989mooset989 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited December 2014
    Saying not to use something on the internet because you think that there is a security issue is, to be nice, silly... We are stuck with the internet and its games and there is nothing wrong with pointing out security issues. Meanwhile, solutions might reside within the OS security settings or with workarounds such as constantly shutting down the game when not in use.
  • mooset989mooset989 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited December 2014
    Princess in Pink, are there simple workarounds to the security issue. Can we do something in the general security settings to remain invisible? If we constantly shut down the game, does this turn the green thing off?
  • Stess3Stess3 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited January 2015
    Why would anyone be concerned about privacy about being visible when you are playing a game on line, beats me.
  • fluffyquailfluffyquail Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 3Registered User New to the Forums
    edited February 2015
    Please, I'd really like some kind of assurance that there is an "invisible" option in the pipeline.

It's a fast way to kill a friendship if your pals think you are ignoring them on purpose. When they can see you are online but you're not playing them, how is that going to feel? It could be that you've logged on for a tic to see a message another pal has sent - but you don't have time to play everyone. When you add in that you show up as "online" for about five minutes after you are NOT on line (we have multiple users in my house, and I have checked!), then it looks even more like you are ignoring someone.

A friend sends you a message just after you've closed your phone, and you don't see it. But THEY see that the game is showing you are still on line. It looks like you are ignoring them. Hurtful!

There are just so many scenarios where this green dot is NOT a good idea. If you are there to make a move, then the player you are playing will know you are on line. If you are not playing with that particular person, there is ZERO advantage (certainly to the friendship!!) in them knowing you are online.

It's a really bad idea. It can't be got around by playing the original wwf instead, as I have also checked that you still show up as online in the "new wwf"

I really, really REALLY hate this feature. Please get rid of it, or allow an opt out option.

thanks.
  • RainicornRainicorn Super Moderator Posts: 310Suspended User Unstained Chieftain
    edited February 2015
    Welcome to the forums, fluffyquail!

We're sorry to hear about your experience with this feature and we truly appreciate your feedback about it. We will surely share your thoughts with the team.

You may also share your feedback to the team by going to your Profile, tap Help then tap Feedback.

Thanks again and have a nice day!
  • meleroni8meleroni8 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 4Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited March 2015
    The ones concerned about being seen online are using scrabble w/friends as a dating app and attempting to cover there tracks with one person or another. For them, it's about chatting it up with several at a time and a lull in chat with one, raises question to that they are spending time online chatting to others.

There's your answer. And, Scrabble KEEP the green light. Thank you.
  • Phil CookPhil Cook Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited July 2015
    Hi,

I know this has been mentioned before, but it must be such a simple fix for you, why cant we have an option to "Hide online Status"?

Its a game, it should be fun and a green dot showing when you are online can get you in trouble if you are online when you shouldnt be, ie at work. It can get you in trouble with friends asking why you didnt play them yet you was online all day and surely people are entitiled to their privacy?

It wouldnt be so bad if the dot was accurate, it appears to stay on for at least 5 minutes after youve closed the app so whats the point anyway? Even if you press the app by accident you are going to get a green dot for the next 5 minutes.

You really need to improve the accuracy and / or even better just give the user the option to have it shown or not.

Please let me know your thoughts on this
  • johnslukjohnsluk Loose Cannon Posts: 5Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited August 2015
    I would like to be able to turn off the Green Presence Indicator in WWF. If people see this is on, then they nudge and pester me to make a move when I might not have time to do so with all my active games. Should be an easy fix.
  • BengetnerBengetner Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited September 2015
    I hate this new feature. I only play with people that do not cheat by guessing words they are unsure of. This feature totally dumbs down the game. Does anyone known if wwf still has a version for people who have either passed the 6th grade or have self respect?
  • TrousegeckoTrousegecko Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited November 2015
    Why isn't the green indicator able to be turned off? Can this please be looked at, it seems a reasonable request which has not been acted on for over a year. I really don't like being tracked.
  • BeccyworldBeccyworld Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited March 2016
    So is there any update on this?
  • Sofia AllianahSofia Allianah Super Moderator Posts: 1,070Super Moderator mod
    edited March 2016
    Beccyworld wrote: »
    So is there any update on this?

Hello Beccyworld! The option to disable the "chat indicator" is currently unavailable. We'll take this as a feedback for now and we'll do our best to relay this matter to the team.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • johnslukjohnsluk Loose Cannon Posts: 5Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited April 2016
    The option to disable the "chat indicator" is currently available. We'll take this as a feedback for now and we'll do our best to relay this matter to the team.

Thanks for your understanding.
    So this option is available now or not? I cant find where to turn this off
    edited April 2016
    johnsluk wrote: »
    So this option is available now or not? I cant find where to turn this off

Hello, johnsluk! I apologize for my previous response. The option to disable the online indicator is still currently unavailable. Thanks for your understanding.
  • ClairezaraClairezara Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited February 2017

Surprised this hasn't been sorted

@Clairezara said:
    Surprised this hasn't been sorted

The Online Indicator feature was developed by game design, @Clairezara. Nonetheless, I'll have your feedback forwarded to the team.

Thanks for understanding.

• Ppriscilla1422Ppriscilla1422 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

I want to turn off those New persons on the top of main page. I dislike seeing some old players. Just want ALL those potential NEW players to disappear. Please help!! Thanks

• my sweet innamoratamy sweet innamorata Posts: 347Super Moderator mod

Thanks for the feedback, @Ppriscilla1422. The Play Someone New feature can be set off under the Settings>Privacy>Play Some New, as shown on the image below.

• dalilabug_48dalilabug_48 Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Please disable the green indicator. Uber annoying. I can't play all games at once and yeah just like mentioned some see you on and start nudging and messaging. I can't understand why WWF thinks this is helpful or necessary. And for those who like it there should be an option to opt-in. Why is this so hard? Please remove.
  • Piers_FiddlerPiers_Fiddler Posts: 783Super Moderator mod

Hi, @dalilabug_48. You can opt out all in-game notification by going to the "Settings" menu>NOTIFICATIONS. Nonetheless, we've already forwarded this to our developers. Thank you.

• RogueRogue Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    Agreed. The green dot indicator issue should have been corrected years ago. Wtf?! Please fix before another developer does and you lose your subscribers. Totally an invasion of user privacy. HELLO?! Are you people listening to your users?!!!