Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to detect cheaters

DEVASTATORSDEVASTATORS Loose CannonPosts: 4Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
edited May 2012 in Game Discussion
Honestly, it sounds like you're overreacting and perhaps even paranoid.

Nothing that you've described about her play is suspicious at all. Most people play this game very casually and don't treat it like a Scrabble game where plays are made within a few minutes. In fact, I'd be much more suspicious if the person I was playing was constantly playing high scoring words within minutes (especially ones that build on to my last play, since they couldn't have known they could play it until after I made my move). I would suspect use of a cheat app, in some cases.

I don't know why you would be so worried about her consulting a dictionary. Truth be told, she could accomplish the same result by testing to see if a word was a word by trying to play it and see if the game allows her to play it. It's cheap, sure, but I wouldn't call it outright cheating. As for consulting other players... I don't think people who are cheating would want other people to know they're cheating. Bringing in an outside party seems highly unlikely.

However since your thread is called "How to detect cheaters", I have come up with a few things that I tend to look at before I dare throw the "C" word around.

The easiest way for me to detect cheating is not to look at the word the person played, but to look at the letters he/she played.

There are two types of cheaters that can be caught, in my experience.

i) Type I: The players who use anagram websites to come up with outrageously obscure (yet very low scoring words). I play people occasionally who consistently play words like "DYNODE" for 11 points, when they could have played "YO" for 24. When I see this happen consistently, I automatically think they're cheating but too stupid to use strategy to cover their tracks. These players don't understand how the scoring of the game works and think if they come up with some really long, unusual word, they will somehow be endowed by the Words With Friends gods with some uber score despite the fact that their word doesn't hit any multiplier squares. I don't even bother to call these players out on anything since I usually beat these people by 300 points anyway.

Type II) The player who uses a website or an app that computes the highest scoring word is the more dangerous type. Sometimes, however, I can tell they're using one when they play a long word and I have a good read on what their tiles are and the silliness of the move (despite it being a high scoring word.) For example, if I saw a player make a 6 letter word like CUPIDS for 35 points that sets me up for the triple word, when they could have played CUP for 33 points in a different area that wouldn't set me up for the triple word, I'd automatically be a little suspicious. Sometimes players who use these sites are too stupid to think about good strategy, and all they see is CUPIDS is at the top of the list of high scoring words, so they go for it. A one time offense is, of course, forgivable. But a player who consistently makes high scoring plays that demonstrate absolutely no understanding of strategy is a serious red flag, because a player who was intelligent enough to see these high scoring plays would likely know it's worth it to sacrifice the extra point or two if it means not setting your opponent up for a huge play.

By the way, another red flag for a player likely using a cheat app is when they are very frequently making high scoring words, yet often tacking S's onto words for an additional one point or two points for their play. Most experienced players would know that an S is much more valuable than the extra 1 or 2 points and that it makes much more sense to save it. Cheat apps (and often the players who use them) don't consider this when they form the highest scoring word. (Be careful though, sometimes people dump an S because they have 3-4 of them or simply because they don't understand how valuable they are, although the latter type is less likely to be a cheater and more likely just to be a weak player).

Comments

• DEVASTATORSDEVASTATORS Loose Cannon Posts: 4Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha! Overreacting, possibly. Paranoid, no.

Excellent points you make, Jay, and I thank you for them. It is true that strategy -- gained from having played Scrabble as a youngster -- can expose some cheats. Also true how word length is often thought to be high-scoring -- by novices -- whereas long-time players (again from Scrabble) better understand letter placement.

Thanks for your input.
  • HBM23HBM23 Loose Cannon Posts: 7Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited December 2011
    It's actually quite frustrating. I'm not saying that I am some sort of genius (you can say that if you like, however...) but when playing against someone you know, and whose vocab you are somewhat familiar with, and they are spitting out collections of letters that form scientific words, or species of insects from other continents, you pretty much know you're being cheated.

For instance, I was beaten (quite soundly) by a person who continually misspells basic words when we chat, but in this game she managed to apply a knowledge of physics, entymology and the native flora of South America, for that is the domain of the words she used.

There is even an app for iphone that allows you to somehow acheieve the highest word possible. Don't know how the app store allowed that one through. It's garbage. So yes, I feel your pain, and do not believe you are paranoid at all. These people are playing more to boost their own confidence by any means necessary, than to enjoy the game. Their loss. :-)
  • Diane821Diane821 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited January 2012
    My question may sound silly. Why are players allowed to use these anagram sites to play this game? I know it's not regular scrabble but some of these words that pop up are nuts. And further more why does this game allow words that people place side by side for instance making one real word and the other is not a word at all. I enjoy thinking and a little competition but if you are playing with someone who uses these cheat systems you can't possibly ever win. My fiancee who has an extremely broad vocabulary while I am playing will say what?? when he sees one of these words placed.. My friend was using while we played and I asked her put that in a sentence for me lol..So basically I asked her to stop using this thing and she did. Much more fun to actually just play and not get so nuts over winning.
  • jaylau17jaylau17 This Space Is Available Posts: 47Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Diane821 wrote: »
    My question may sound silly. Why are players allowed to use these anagram sites to play this game?

How exactly do you propose Zynga regulate that sort of thing? Do you think Zynga is an omniscient being that knows which players aren't cheating and those who are?

I know it's not regular scrabble but some of these words that pop up are nuts. And further more why does this game allow words that people place side by side for instance making one real word and the other is not a word at all.

Words With Friends doesn't permit this -- every word created from a play must be a valid word. Clearly you just don't know all of the valid words.

I enjoy thinking and a little competition but if you are playing with someone who uses these cheat systems you can't possibly ever win. My fiancee who has an extremely broad vocabulary while I am playing will say what?? when he sees one of these words placed.. My friend was using while we played and I asked her put that in a sentence for me lol..So basically I asked her to stop using this thing and she did.

Don't fall into that trap. Just because a person can't define a word doesn't mean he or she is cheating. Words With Friends doesn't require that you know the meaning of the words you play, all you need to know is if the word is valid. I played DEX once in WWF and immediately was asked to define DEX and got accused of cheating because I wasn't able to define it. While it's true I didn't know what it meant, I had seen the word played like 20 times before so I knew it was a word. After I explained this, the guy still insisted I was cheating. Frankly, half of the people who play QI don't know what QI means. Not knowing what a word means has never been the litmus test for deciding who's cheating.

A much better test for determining who is cheating is written in my post above.
  • MalloribratMalloribrat New to the Forums Posts: 1Registered User Pumpkin
    edited January 2012
    Playing big or obscure words or not "understanding" scoring or blocking strategies is not always indicative of cheating at all. I play more for the words than the score. I don't care what score I make or if I win or lose. I like making what I consider to be awesome moves regardless of the score. I don't cheat, if I wanted to play with a machine I wouldn't play words with friends I'd play scrabble against a computer. I don't care if I set someone up for a triple word or something. I don't care if "yo" would get me more points, I'd play "dynode" cause I'd like it better.

Most of the obscure words I play come from the cutthroat people I play with. I see them use a word and then I use it. I also saw that there was a list of 2 letter words in the scrabble app and I have a lot of it memorized just cause I like making awesome moves making three or four words at once. I doubt there's even a way to cheat doing this. And I often take forever to make a word cause I only play a couple times a day usually.

As far as using a dictionary or anagram site, I don't see anything wrong with using a dictionary they do that in real scrabble tournaments don't they? Even if not using that uses your skills. The anagram sites I think is cheating but wouldn't be overly upset if it were an occasional thing when they're stuck for a word. I don't care about the scores enough to care about cheating but it's less fun to play when all the words are ridiculous or when someone is so into blocking you can never find a spot. If you don't want to play with someone, stop accepting requests from them.
    edited January 2012
    Playing big or obscure words or not "understanding" scoring or blocking strategies is not always indicative of cheating at all. I play more for the words than the score. I don't care what score I make or if I win or lose. I like making what I consider to be awesome moves regardless of the score. I don't cheat, if I wanted to play with a machine I wouldn't play words with friends I'd play scrabble against a computer. I don't care if I set someone up for a triple word or something. I don't care if "yo" would get me more points, I'd play "dynode" cause I'd like it better.

Lol, well it's totally moot anyway. I'm probably right 98 times out of 100 that people who do this are scrambling. The fact that you're in the 2/100 is still irrelevant since I don't call people out for cheating if they are playing very unusual but low scoring words. Why would I call someone out for adopting a strategy (cheating or not) that is basically handing me the game on a silver platter? :)
  • xjrosiexjrosie Forum Detective Posts: 2Registered User
    edited January 2012
    As a player who sometimes struggles, I want to add some of my points of view. I occasionally use obscure words, but it isn't a result of cheating..

1) If a word isn't popping out at me, I will just take tiles and lay them in the area I would like to play in an order that seems like it would make a word. Most of the time, it ends up being a word.

2) I have a good memory. If I see a word get played, I will remember it. I can't even count how many times I've reused words I've never heard of just because I saw an opponent play it.

3) I may sometimes use low-scoring tiles to reach the bonus squares, but I look at it this way: I could play "THE" and save the other tiles to possible make a better-scoring word, or I could play "THEME" and reach a bonus square, thus prohibiting the other player from utilizing said square. Sorry, it's the best example I could think of right at the moment.

I play for fun. I would rather play a word that used all my tiles than think about whether that word will get me the best point scoring, just for the heck of it.

Edit: also, as for the 'S' thing: I save those for making plurals, usually. First, I play house, for example. Then, later, if I can't seem to find a better thing to play, I add the "S". Then I get the points for "house" and "houses". Seems to work for me.
  • babytoesbabytoes Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited January 2012
    Here's my take on the whole cheaters thing. I have a cheat on my iPhone, but I only use it by mutual agreement. That means, the person I am playing is also using a cheat, and we both try to get the highest score possible. It's still fun, since we both learn new words that we can use in other games. In these games, the first question I ask my opponent is "With help or without?", and compose less than 1% of the games I play. If you're concerned about your opponent using one of these helpers, ask her if she is. It's only fair the playing field is level.

On the matter of just throwing up letters until you get a word, I don't see any problem with that. Sometimes, it just takes rearranging the letters a number of times before a word hits. My son threw up a word the other day that was suspicious. When I asked where he got his words, he told me that's what he did, and said he could ask me the same thing. I laughed and told him that apple wasn't falling very far from this tree, as I did the same.

I don't expect everyone to play every couple of hours. I work 12 hour shifts, and my phone doesn't even come out of my pocket during that time, so if someone is concerned that it takes me a while to play, that's why. Maybe the person you're playing has a life outside of WWF. ;)
  • LunaXJJLunaXJJ Delightful Duckling Posts: 8Facebook Connect User
    edited January 2012
    1. You can't.
    2. Who cares? Its just a game.
    3. Maybe she doesn't spend all **** day on facebook.
    4. It doesn't take hours to cheat, it takes minutes. See number 3.
  • mona registermona register Loose Cannon Posts: 3Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited January 2012
    I love Scrabble, and hence, this game. Have a very busy life, so if I make my moves 3 or 4 times a day everyone seems satisfied. Some of the people I play with only play once a week. My biggest complaint is people forming new words from a letter they have added to a previously formed word and then making a new word from a letter they just played. It has always been my understanding that each word must consist of at least one letter previously played--not one that you just added, When I am playing with someone cheating--I challenge the word, state the rule--& if they continue on--I simply resign, hoping they will get the message. Unfortunately--I have come up against every type of cheater in the book---Very sad, indeed.
  • mona registermona register Loose Cannon Posts: 3Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited January 2012
    I love Scrabble, and hence, this game. Have a very busy life, so if I make my moves 3 or 4 times a day everyone seems satisfied. Some of the people I play with only play once a week. My biggest complaint is people forming new words from a letter they have added to a previously formed word and then making a new word from a letter they just played. It has always been my understanding that each word must consist of at least one letter previously played--not one that you just added, When I am playing with someone cheating--I challenge the word, state the rule--& if they continue on--I simply resign, hoping they will get the message. Unfortunately--I have come up against every type of cheater in the book---Very sad, indeed.
  • cmrncraz15cmrncraz15 Investigator Posts: 1Registered User
    edited January 2012
    How about the guy that just started a game with me? Starting on the first move, he's played 4 words in a row that used all of his letters. Too funny. I'm down over 300 points after four moves. I can't even say half of his words.
    edited February 2012
    cmrncraz15 wrote: »
    How about the guy that just started a game with me? Starting on the first move, he's played 4 words in a row that used all of his letters. Too funny. I'm down over 300 points after four moves. I can't even say half of his words.

Just out of curiosity, what were the words?
  • LadelyLadely Lord of the Forums Posts: 4Registered User
    edited February 2012
    My question may sound silly. Why are players allowed to use these anagram sites to play this game? I know it's not regular scrabble but some of these words that pop up are nuts. And further more why does this game allow words that people place side by side for instance making one real word and the other is not a word at all. I enjoy thinking and a little competition but if you are playing with someone who uses these cheat systems you can't possibly ever win. My fiancee who has an extremely broad vocabulary while I am playing will say what?? when he sees one of these words placed.. My friend was using while we played and I asked her put that in a sentence for me lol..So basically I asked her to stop using this thing and she did. Much more fun to actually just play and not get so nuts over winning.

Why are players allowed to use these anagram sites to play this game? How would anyone know if people are using them or not? If it's not allowed, how would it be enforced? How could you prove it?

Why does this game allow words that people place side by side for instance making one real word and the other is not a word at all? The only way words can be placed side by side is if actual words are being created. You'd be suprised at how many two letter words there are that you wouldn't think are words. An example, QI is a word. The game will let you know if you are trying to put together two words and one word is either spelled wrong or is not a proper noun. This is how all Scrabble games have been played and you typically get the most points when you can place words in a way to get credit for more than one word at a time. Strategically placing them in a Tripple Word Score block can score you some major points. I just got 107 points using this little trick in the game. :D
  • CorBlimeyCorBlimey Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited February 2012
    It has always been my understanding that each word must consist of at least one letter previously played--not one that you just added.
    Your understanding is wrong... One (or more) of the words laid must contain existing letters, not all of them.

If HOUSE is on the board and is extended by playing SELL across the end then there are two words to score. One uses existing letters, the other does not and that's perfectly legal.
  • divacdivadivacdiva Cloudylicious Posts: 6Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited March 2012
    Can players somehow swap out their letters for better letters to make these 7 letter words? i find it hard to believe that a certain person i play with comes up with these huge words every single time and beats me by 200 points..how is she getting these letters? i don't think it's by chance.
    edited March 2012
    divacdiva wrote: »
    Can players somehow swap out their letters for better letters to make these 7 letter words? i find it hard to believe that a certain person i play with comes up with these huge words every single time and beats me by 200 points..how is she getting these letters? i don't think it's by chance.

You're right that it's probably not totally by chance, but it's likely not what you're thinking either.

While you are allowed to exchange tiles in this game, it costs you a turn to do it so it's usually not worth it. The most likely reason why your opponent is able to come up with big words is that she is using strategy, practicing good rack management. Contrary to popular belief, the playability of your rack is not entirely luck. For example, she is likely keeping a nice balance of consonants to vowels by playing off consonants and saving her vowels when she is consonant-heavy and by playing off vowels and saving her consonants when she is vowel-heavy. The ideal ratio for playing big words is 4 consonants to 3 vowels. Certainly it's hard to play a 7 letter word when you have only one vowel or one consonant. She is likely also playing off her duplicate tiles (because having 2-3 of the same tile generally cuts the number of plays you can make, including big words, in half).

Also, she probably has a generic idea of what tiles are good for making 7 letter words (Blank, S, E, R, and T) and which tiles are rather bad for making 7 letter words (Q, J, X, and Z obviously, as well as W, U, V, F, Y, and K, and to some extent, any of the tiles with a point value more than 2.) She is likely playing off her high value consonants as she draws them trying to get a rack with mostly 1 to 2 point tiles on it. There are nine 7-letter words that can be made with the letters RATINSE (NASTIER, RETAINS, and STAINER, to name a few). It probably won't be a big surprise for you to hear that zero 7-letter words that can be made with the letters WEABKPI (in fact, there aren't even any valid 5 or 6 letter words that can be made with these letters). She is likely playing off her high value tiles as she draws them, trying to get a rack with all or mostly low value (and therefore, more common) letters to increase her chances of being able to make big plays.
  • Alvis64Alvis64 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited April 2012
    Hey! I am brand new to the site and the forums...this is my first post! This is SO very cool to see comments and back-and-forth from serious players. I have never accused anyone of cheating...but I am just positive that I have played against cheaters. I have become a big strategy player...I will ALWAYS go for the shorter option if I can stay away from the TW lane. And I play with a number of folks I refer to as "word ninjas" who would never open themselves up to something like that. Forcing someone up against a TW lane or getting a TL or TW play against a vowel is a little like getting inside against a really good basketball player. You just know that they let their guard down for a moment and you have to take advantage of that!

When I go to "Random Opponent" and regularly have someone playing 5 or 6 letter words but dangling "E"s or "T"s in the TW lane it tells me that I'm either playing a word savant with no concept of strategy or a cheater. I also look for the sudden "weird" word. You'll have 6 or 8 rounds of pedestrian, everybody knows them, three and four letter words then, suddenly, from nowhere you get "PFLIU" (which was just played against me earlier this evening...I noted it, you can be sure about that!). That alone doesn't signal a cheater...I tend to pick up "weird" words from other players and note them when played against me...but when you couple it with uninspired words and poor strategy...I just get that "cheater" feeling when a weird word pops out.

If I'm beating them, I will continue to accept challenges just because it cracks me up to sense the frustration that comes from someone playing impossibly exotic words and still losing. If it gets tiring, I just stop challenging or accepting challenges and move on to another opponent. I have a few "regulars" who I play consistently because we are evenly matched, challenge each other and obviously don't cheat. I have gotten to the point, however, that I'm not playing with anyone that I actually know. My friends won't play me anymore because I am getting pretty good and very competitive.

One thing that I HAVE done is to memorize the OWL of 2-letter words. There are 102 of them (from "AA" to "ZA"). I believe that 2-letter words are the secret to becoming very competitive in this game.
  • 2hsprn2hsprn Loose Cannon Posts: 5Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited May 2012
    LunaXJJ wrote: »
    1. You can't.
    2. Who cares? Its just a game.
    3. Maybe she doesn't spend all **** day on facebook.
    4. It doesn't take hours to cheat, it takes minutes. See number 3.

I don't understand why it's necessary to be impolite. Accusations and implications are not called for. Maybe not post if you're angry or dejected? Just a thought.
  • 2hsprn2hsprn Loose Cannon Posts: 5Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited May 2012
    jaylau17 wrote: »
    Honestly, it sounds like you're overreacting and perhaps even paranoid.

Nothing...

However since your thread is called "How to detect cheaters", I have come up with a few things that I tend to look at before I dare throw the "C" word around.

The easiest way...

i) Type I: ...

Type II) ...

Thanks for making me grin. :-) Contrary to posts about detecting cheaters, some of us who play large, low-scoring words in inappropriate places do so for the pure joy of seeing the word and then finding a spot to play it. I mostly play with friends who don't care whether they win or lose so I don't care if they are cheating. Setting them up on a TW? So what? I enjoyed the word I played and the spot I played it in. If they are able to make use of it, good for them. It's FUN! IMHO, the word paranoia should not be directed at another person when the poster continues with a lengthy monologue on how THEY think cheaters can be detected (just think about that one). :-) Anywho, I enjoy playing Words because it is a close replica of Scrabble. Playing anonymously online will always present issues if you look for them and I'm sure they can be frustrating. I don't want to detract from that. Just wanted others to know that not everybody playing a big word is stupid or not skilled at the game. We're just having fun. :-) Much peace to all. Toad
    edited May 2012
    2hsprn wrote: »
    Thanks for making me grin. :-) Contrary to posts about detecting cheaters, some of us who play large, low-scoring words in inappropriate places do so for the pure joy of seeing the word and then finding a spot to play it. I mostly play with friends who don't care whether they win or lose so I don't care if they are cheating. Setting them up on a TW? So what? I enjoyed the word I played and the spot I played it in. If they are able to make use of it, good for them. It's FUN! IMHO, the word paranoia should not be directed at another person when the poster continues with a lengthy monologue on how THEY think cheaters can be detected (just think about that one). :-) Anywho, I enjoy playing Words because it is a close replica of Scrabble. Playing anonymously online will always present issues if you look for them and I'm sure they can be frustrating. I don't want to detract from that. Just wanted others to know that not everybody playing a big word is stupid or not skilled at the game. We're just having fun. :-) Much peace to all. Toad

Cute post, but you seem to be practicing some very...erm...selective reading in your interpretation of my post.

Never in my post did I say that my method was foolproof. There is no foolproof way to detect someone who is cheating. Analogously, police aren't only suspicious of people who are actually guilty. Otherwise they would be right 100% of the time, but everyone knows the police sometimes make mistakes. But their potential fallibility doesn't mean that there aren't signs and methods that the police can use that increase their chances of sorting out who is guilty and who is not.

In any case, if you notice, I said that I don't really have much of a bone to pick with people who play long (but low scoring) words, since my goal is to win the game and their strategy (cheating or not) is helping me do that. As I said, I never throw out accusations in instances like this, and yes, I will probably suspect that you're cheating if you play 12 point words like "DYNODE" or "BUGABOO" consistently, but if I don't throw out any accusations, why the heck should you care what I'm thinking?

But this is all secondary. The bigger point remains; you entirely missed the purpose of the post. The OP had an absurdly low bar set for when he thinks someone is cheating -- by his standard, anyone who takes awhile to play is cheating. My post actually made the litmus test for throwing out an accusation a lot more strict. It effectively disputes most instances where someone might suspect another player is cheating. Reread my post again with your paranoia glasses off and you will notice the cautionary tone that my post conveys when it comes to accusing anyone of wrongdoing.

P.S.
    Only twice I have outright accused another player of cheating because of abrupt changes in playing style that mirrored what I had mentioned in my first post... And both times I was correct. They confessed to cheating, because they (incorrectly) thought I was cheating first with my high scoring plays ("I only started cheating because you did first..." etc.)
  • pierrepierre Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

My friend has won the last three games with me by finishing with a seven letter word, using all his tiles. This seems like cheating as the odds to doing that by chance surely would be enormously small...?

• SquatchSquatch Posts: 1Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited March 20

I play WWF daily and I’m really good. All you people whining about people cheating are just plain ignorant. For starters there’s no rule that states you “must know the meaning of the word you play”...so playing words you don’t know the meaning of isn’t cheating. Secondly any player who knows the game well...I’m quite sure uses “word building” ...which is simply that...if you have an “ing” or an “ers” or an “ies” (there’s so many places to start) you start there and start looking for other letters to add to them to make legit words...(and yes even words you didn’t know were words until you tried it)...”word building” isn’t cheating. Just like anything else in the world there’s always someone better than you and me at WWF...and just because they are awesome doesn’t mean they’re cheating. Lastly how on earth do you know all of the words me or anyone else playing the game has in our repertoire? I’ve been playing this game so long I’ve played THOUSANDS of words and seen even more played by other people...so for you to sit there and tell me I’m cheating because I know a word that you don’t is just plain childish. You people need to either get better at the game or take up Sudoku but either way stop whining because you lose...because in the end that’s all yur doing LOSING and that hurts your feelings.
    I learned to play scrabble when I was 10 by my grandmother and she had a dictionary by her side every time we played to look up words to see if they were in fact words, was she cheating? Did the dictionary tell her all the words that could be played with the letters in her hand? And even if it did would she choose the right word to get the most points? There is so much strategy in this game, it’s not only knowing what to play but what not to play and when and where to play it...and if you don’t understand that then I’m probably going to beat you really badly...not because I cheat but because I fully understand the game and how to play it. In the end it’s a game...if you can’t take playing the game with people who are better than you...then go find a new game.

Yes I know this thread is 6 years old...but what I had to say is relevant anytime.

• I_Am_Not_A_RobotI_Am_Not_A_Robot Posts: 19Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

Totally with you Squatch. Add to that the benefits of Word Radar, which will sometimes highlight exactly where you can play a bingo, and the Word Strength Meter that can tell you how big a score can be achieved, and it's only surprising there are not even more big plays. Half the words I play, I have no confidence that they'll be good until I've laid them down. So I don't "know" those words, but I have a fair idea that they could be.

• CherrywoodRyderCherrywoodRyder Posts: 2Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star

There are some cheaters that use not only anagram websites but also use Swap +'s when they are stuck with a disproportionate amount of vowels or consonants, or unfavorable tile combinations on their rack (for example, an IOEIIOE hand or a UZUVUVK hand). It's even worse if they know very well about tile placement and other strategies such as saving S's and blanks for potentially better future moves. For example, they hit up an anagram/board solver website/app, enter their rack letters, and play a long, obscure word on the two DW spaces within 5 spaces of each other (in classic games and fast games) or on the two TW spaces within 7 spaces (in fast games). These are truly the most dangerous type and probably harder to detect.

• GeorgeH1043GeorgeH1043 Posts: 8Registered User, Facebook Connect User Loose Cannon

Sometime ago on this forum I wrote defending Zynga’s right as a business to make changes to WWF, adding power ups particularly, as the complaint was that it was ruining the game for some. I also opined that those power ups affect mostly the novice players, not so much the highly skilled players who rely much more on strategy.

Today I received an invitation to play a game from WhatsKraken (Justin Bersch) along with a highly insulting message through Chat and then he quickly ended the game before I could respond. He called me stupid when he clearly did not understand my points nor many of the fine points made by Squatch and Devastators above that explain how good strategy and good memory of words played by others can help you win without cheating even against others taking help from the power ups. The root cause of Justin’s angry outburst appears to have come from the fact that he has started losing to his beautiful (but also clearly much smarter) girlfriend and he is accusing her of taking unfair advantage with the power ups on her phone, while poor he has none on his.

I truly feel sorry for Justin and even more for his girlfriend who deserves better.

• I_Am_Not_A_RobotI_Am_Not_A_Robot Posts: 19Registered User, Facebook Connect User Muffin

@CherrywoodRyder said:
    There are some cheaters that use not only anagram websites but also use Swap +'s when they are stuck with a disproportionate amount of vowels or consonants, or unfavorable tile combinations on their rack (for example, an IOEIIOE hand or a UZUVUVK hand).

How is using the Power Ups cheating? The whole purpose of Swap+ is exactly what you describe! While you may disagree with using it, it's a legitimate function of the game available to all, so to call it cheating seems rather odd!

• rmsrms Posts: 4Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I have noticed that the majority of people who I suspect cheat, come from a S. E. Asian country. They live in other parts of the world, as well.
  • CbadlandCbadland Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 163Registered User Investigator
    I consider Power Ups developer sanctioned cheating. They can be purchased with real money, so players who have more restrictive income are at a disadvantage. That combined with the fact that Power Ups are used without your opponents knowledge ruins game integrity.
  • awhawh Posts: 3Registered User, Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    I'll start out by saying that I'm new to the game and have never read the official rules. So on that point I don't have a clue. However there are several points I'd like to make and possibly get some feedback.
    1. Randomly placing tiles to make a word that you're not aware of seems like it is fair play. Everyone can do that and the game allows for that. I've come up with some ridiculous words that I have no clue what they mean but are playable. Since the game allows for random "trying" and anyone can do it, it seems fair to me.
    2. I would think any use of an outside app to make your words is cheating. However I wouldn't know how to expose that and personally I don't care. If a player is so weak that can't "find" a word for themselves, I'll take my chances against A.I. I've never used an app and never will. What's the fun in that. If I beat someone in a game, I know that I did it (with the help of random tile placement at times.) But I did the work to find it. If you're using A.I.,you didn't beat anyone. Your A.I. did. But again, I don't really care if someone does as it could be more of a challenge to me.
    The way I look at it... If the game allows it (outside apps notwithstanding) it should be considered fair play as it is available to all players equally.
    Just my opinion.. Again, I haven't read the rules. So any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.