Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of spam emails telling that your account will be receiving Poker rewards.
Click HERE to know more about it.

Player Guide: Pots and Side Pots

star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot SagePosts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
This deserved its own thread, so I gave it one. :)

Comments

• mmaannyymmaannyy Black Sheep of ze Internet Posts: 3Suspended User
    edited June 2010
    I thought you where talking about a pot of beer
  • flowaxflowax Muffin Posts: 2Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited June 2010
    Good, now i'm finally am sure about the difference between a side pot and a split pot :D
  • v salemev saleme Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited June 2010
    hey that game bar does not work i never get that daily lottery, better check it out
  • Sorry123Sorry123 Mazter Guardian Posts: 1Registered User
    edited November 2010
    I got a question. "can be won by P1,P3 or P4, P3 has the full house and wins the 1000 chips."

I don't get that
  • star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot Sage Posts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
    edited November 2010
    Sorry123 wrote: »
    I got a question. "can be won by P1,P3 or P4, P3 has the full house and wins the 1000 chips."

I don't get that

There were four players originally in the hand.
    Player 2 folded so they can no longer win any chips
    players 1, 3 and 4 were left in the hand at the end so the player with the best hand from those 3 wins the main pot.
    Player 3 had the best hand out of those three players so they win the main pot
  • fretselfretsel Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited April 2011
    Pots, a beginners guide.

SO tell me about split pots.

These are straight forward enough.
    If 2 or more players share EXACTLY the same hand then whatever is in the pot gets split equally between them.
    Side pots.

Thnx for re-directing me to this thread.
    I did understand the pot-splitting etc.

The reason why I put my message under bugs and thingies, was because I have another issue:

I noticed that in some cases the pot is shared, while in similar cases the pot goes to one winner.

Case 1: Opponent (K + J) - Me (K + 9) + (10 Kicker on the table) shared pot.

A bit later;

Case 2: Opponent (A+9) - Me (A+5) + (10 kicker on the table) pot goes to opponent.

It happend a couple of times now. And I was wandering why in these cases, sometimes the pot is shared and sometimes not.
    Its pretty annoying and frustrating.
    (especially with the weekly tournements, cos if you loose, your out)

:DI know realize my question was not clear. (Soz for that, iam not English)

My question was about sharing the pot while the opponent has got the same cards, but sometimes only one gets the pot.
    In these cases in the left column it says that the opponent wins the pot with i.e "a pair of aces (One in hand, one on the table) with a K-Kicker (on the table)
    While I got exactly the same, and not getting anything.

A bit later I see a similar case, and then the pot is splitted?

I think that is a bug:(
    And it doesnt feel fair.

Its got nothing to do with the value of the extra card in hand, because ive seen in similar cases where both players do have different cards, with no added value still splitting pots OR where the pot goes to one winner.
  • star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot Sage Posts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
    edited May 2011
    #8 04-02-2011, 04:04 AM
    fretsel
    New to the Forums Join Date: Apr 2011

Sharing pot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by star star moon
    Pots, a beginners guide.

SO tell me about split pots.

These are straight forward enough.
    If 2 or more players share EXACTLY the same hand then whatever is in the pot gets split equally between them.
    Side pots.

Thnx for re-directing me to this thread.
    I did understand the pot-splitting etc.

The reason why I put my message under bugs and thingies, was because I have another issue:

I noticed that in some cases the pot is shared, while in similar cases the pot goes to one winner.

Case 1: Opponent (K + J) - Me (K + 9) + (10 Kicker on the table) shared pot.

A bit later;

Case 2: Opponent (A+9) - Me (A+5) + (10 kicker on the table) pot goes to opponent.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I didnt see your post

Their isn't enough information from your first case to give a definitive answer but it could happen this way
    you K9 him KJ
    board A 3 3 10 K
    in that scenario you would both have 2 pair K and 3 with an Ace kicker
    Im struggling to think of a way that the pot could be shared with a 10 kicker as your opponents Jack would be the kicker
    alternatively with for example 3 3 3 Q 10 you would again share the pot becasue you would have both got trip 3's with a K Q kicker and your opponent's J would not take part in teh hand

Your second example is more clear cut

you had A5 they had A9
    unless there were four cards higher than a 9 on the board you would always be at a disadvantage. In that scenario you would require a 5 to come down on the board (or 2,3,4) to win the hand, the best you could realistically hope for would be a split pot.

for me A5, and even A9 is a marginal call, If I were the blind or the dealer and there were no silly raises pre flop I would perhaps call it. IF i were in any other position I would most likely dump both those hands

The caveat is, if I knew how my opponents played I may try to bluff with the cards, but if your opponents are donkeys then there is no point bluffing.
  • DunningKrugerDunningKruger Goldsmith Posts: 444Registered User Forum Detective
    edited January 2014
    Mr_Donk wrote: »
    Side pot: You can only win as much as you have. If you have 50 chip you can only win 50 chip from all active players, any additional chips are awarded to the next strongest hand.

It's not quite that simple. The next strongest hand does not win a thing if the player who won the main pot covers, yet a hand that's weaker than both can still win a side pot.
    edited February 2015
    WOW, didn't think this would still be here.
    Hello world.
  • Mr.UncannyMr.Uncanny Lord of the Forums Posts: 775Suspended User Aged to Perfection
    edited February 2015
    WOW, didn't think this would still be here.
    Hello world.

Welcome back star star moon! We refer some of our newbie players on this thread to help them understand the game. We love to have you back. Happy playing! :)
  • Oshik Ben ShimonOshik Ben Shimon Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited March 2015
  • Oshik Ben ShimonOshik Ben Shimon Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Registered User New to the Forums
    edited March 2015
    where is your security?? 20 mil??? someone play with it and its not me
  • Property64Property64 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited April 2015
    Mr.Uncanny wrote: »
    Welcome back star star moon! We refer some of our newbie players on this thread to help them understand the game. We love to have you back. Happy playing! :)

How to play BET PROTECTION?
    Thanks.
  • JessaVJessaV Loose Cannon Posts: 1Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited April 2015
    What is some of your best advice to increase your chances of winning?
  • Mr.UncannyMr.Uncanny Lord of the Forums Posts: 775Suspended User Aged to Perfection
    edited April 2015
    JessaV wrote: »

Hi JessaV! Probability and psychology are the key components to successfully winning any Texas Hold'em round. On a full table with 9 players, did you know that "AA" has only 30.87% chance of winning preflop? Preflop, "AK" has a 16.29% win probability. These probabilities will add perspective on your game. Reviewing hand probabilities pre and post flop will greatly improved your personal play.

Although a strong hand should theoretically win every round, it is never guaranteed. The recommendation we make to players is to ensure you have the best hand in every situation and pick the right battles to increase your chances of winning! There's also no shame in folding as well. :) For other game tips, feel free to check this link. Have a great day!
    edited May 2015
    JessaV wrote: »

learn what junk hands are and when to fold them
    fold hands frequently if you don't hit on the flop
    don't chase straights,
    learn how to fold a dozen hands in a row,
    don't play marginal hands if there's a pre flop raise
    fold hands
    find out what premium hands are and play them aggressively
    fold hands
    bluff now and again but don't get sucked into defending a bluff
    fold hands
    if you ever find, after playing a hand and getting beaten on the river, yourself thinking " that was so unfair im sick of this im just going all in next time no matter what" then stand up from the table and go do something else instead
    seriously, the greatest skill I learned was how to sit at a table for an hour and not play any hands past the flop because that's the situation you will frequently find yourself in.
  • denver_dudley83denver_dudley83 Pumpkin Posts: 1Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the information! It's not easy to accomplish the quest, really!
  • TbkTbk Posts: 124Registered User The Pesky Helper
    I have played zynga poker with other players some have in their cards A J for player 1 a pair of K K for player 3 and a pair of QQ for player2 who wins
  • TbkTbk Posts: 124Registered User The Pesky Helper
    When somebody bets a half a pot of chips or a full pot chances are somebody wins or else they lose
  • deddydeddy Posts: 104Registered User Cloudylicious
    > @star star moon said:
    > #8 04-02-2011, 04:04 AM
    > fretsel
    > New to the Forums Join Date: Apr 2011
    > Posts: 4
    >
    > Sharing pot
    >
    > Quote:
    > Originally Posted by star star moon
    > Pots, a beginners guide.
    >
    > SO tell me about split pots.
    >
    > These are straight forward enough.
    > If 2 or more players share EXACTLY the same hand then whatever is in the pot gets split equally between them.
    > Side pots.
    >
    > Thnx for re-directing me to this thread.
    > I did understand the pot-splitting etc.
    >
    > The reason why I put my message under bugs and thingies, was because I have another issue:
    >
    > I noticed that in some cases the pot is shared, while in similar cases the pot goes to one winner.
    >
    > Case 1: Opponent (K + J) - Me (K + 9) + (10 Kicker on the table) shared pot.
    >
    > A bit later;
    >
    > Case 2: Opponent (A+9) - Me (A+5) + (10 kicker on the table) pot goes to opponent.
    >
    >
    > Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I didnt see your post
    >
    > Their isn't enough information from your first case to give a definitive answer but it could happen this way
    > you K9 him KJ
    > board A 3 3 10 K
    > in that scenario you would both have 2 pair K and 3 with an Ace kicker
    > Im struggling to think of a way that the pot could be shared with a 10 kicker as your opponents Jack would be the kicker
    > alternatively with for example 3 3 3 Q 10 you would again share the pot becasue you would have both got trip 3's with a K Q kicker and your opponent's J would not take part in teh hand
    >
    > Your second example is more clear cut
    >
    > you had A5 they had A9
    > unless there were four cards higher than a 9 on the board you would always be at a disadvantage. In that scenario you would require a 5 to come down on the board (or 2,3,4) to win the hand, the best you could realistically hope for would be a split pot.
    >
    > for me A5, and even A9 is a marginal call, If I were the blind or the dealer and there were no silly raises pre flop I would perhaps call it. IF i were in any other position I would most likely dump both those hands
    >
    > The caveat is, if I knew how my opponents played I may try to bluff with the cards, but if your opponents are donkeys then there is no point bluffing.

next.. i wait your post continue.
  • BernardBernard Posts: 1Registered User Not a Title, but a Star

Is it possible To win sometime its unbelivable