Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of spam emails telling that your account will be receiving Poker rewards.
Click HERE to know more about it.

Player Guide: Glossary of Terms

star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot SagePosts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
edited August 2015 in Guides & Poker Strategy
Suited Connectors,
pocket cards that are both suited and can make a flush

I think you meant straight. ;)

Thanks, Star! Stickied. :)

Comments

• marlin riflemarlin rifle Forum Detective Posts: 21Registered User
    edited February 2010
  • star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot Sage Posts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
    edited February 2010
    I think I did, edited thanks. I was a bit tired last night.
  • KenboiKenboi The Chosen One Posts: 98Registered User Chocolatier
    edited February 2010
    I think I did, edited thanks. I was a bit tired last night.

Add my, 'Appreciated Matey' to the other thank-you's.
    edited February 2010
    On a serious note, for a change, perhaps the descriptive terms, such as 'Bingo, Donkey' and the others could also be added? Could point out that they are not common parlance but unofficial\slang words?
  • star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot Sage Posts: 262Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
    edited February 2010
    I was thinking of doing a basic description of types of player.
    fish
    calling station
    donkey
    rock
    shark
    tight
    loose
    agressive
    passive

maybe next week
    edited February 2010
    I was thinking of doing a basic description of types of player.

You the...uh-oh think PC...You the Man! Woman! Gender Confused! Uncertain!

Seriously, thanks for thinking of doing that.:)
  • solomanLambsolomanLamb Pumpkin Posts: 2Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited March 2010
    I would like to add to the list (but I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder)

situations:

bad beat: a strong hand that gets beat by a weaker hand; usually the weaker hand gets a runner runner or a miracle card on the river.

back raise: to re-raise another player's raise.

belly buster/gut shot: being one off from having a straight but the missing card is inside the would be straight.

block bet: to place an "uncallable" bet, a bet that the player doesn't expect will be called or raise; usually placed on the flop

loose: to play more hand than a player normally would

runner runner: requiring both the turn and river to complete a set such as with a flush and/or straight draw.

suck out: related to river rat this is when the weaker hand catches the miracle card on the river to beat the nut hand.

tight: to play fewer hands than a player normally would

to air: placing bets with a hand that has no value, used in bluffing or fishing expeditions.

now for some players

aggressive: a player who consistently puts down large bets regardless of hand value or their current stack size; usually done to shoo away the more conservative players or force weaker players into making a bad call

donkey: 21st century term replacing "fish" or "sucker," a player without much skill and/or experience.

fish: older term referring to a player without much experience

gypsy: a player who places or calls bets equal to the big blind, even when their hand is dominate.

passive: a player who checks and/or calls, forgoing opportunities to raise even when they have the nuts

rock: disciplined players who don't make reckless bets and play a very tight games

rock garden: a table of rocks; usually resulting in small pot games

shark: a skilled player

smooth caller: a player who deliberately under plays dominate hands in order to fool another player into believing their hand is boss. I.E. smooth caller flopped quads and other player flopped FH; smooth caller only calls FH raises until the river; smooth caller back raises or all ins on the river.

whale: a player with a very large bank roll who can(and will) place bets that force smaller bank players to fold; much like aggressive players whales will place or call large bets over and over, even when their hand is chasing the nut hand. whales, quite literally, can splash other players off the blinds with bets averaging 25-50xbb.

that's all for now.
  • LilacrushLilacrush Lord of the Forums Posts: 8Registered User
    edited March 2010
  • Debby FaughnDebby Faughn Grasshopper Posts: 2Registered User
    edited March 2010
  • Pocket RocketsPocket Rockets Muffin Posts: 1Registered User Muffin
    edited March 2010
    Appreciate the info, thanks. :)
  • ElmseekerElmseeker Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 2Facebook Connect User New to the Forums
    edited March 2010
    ANyone got any ideas on non-pejorative ways of describing the various playing styles, fish, rock, calling station, donkey, loose and tight aggressive, passive, weak-tight?

Very nicely written!

Let's start with some of these terms as they are commonly used.

Fish: A player who will over time give up their chips to you. Who a fish is depends much on your play style versus theirs. Being a fish has little to do with knowledge of the game or it's rules or odds. I know several players who are quite good, even make a living at the game but they are fish to me. By the same token I am a fish compared to others...

Rock: As the term suggest a rock is very solid they play strong hands and play them "by the book" this style of play has advantages and disadvatages. the advantage is a rock can pull off a good bluff once in awhile because will be scared if they bet the disadvantage is that people know the rock only plays good hands so their raises and bets don't get called very often.

Calling Station: A player who will call just about any bet with just about any 2 cards, if they are on a draw you certainly count on them calling all the way to the river in holdem or 7th street in stud.

Donkey: Donkey in and of itself has a negative conotation and there is no way to put it very nicely. A donkey is a person who plays stupidly, they bet, raise and call with nothing consistantly and once in awhile will get lucky, when they do get lucky and hit their 2nd pair on the river to make KK33 vs your AA after calling a huge bet with only a pair of 3s on the flop most donkeys (not all) will brag about how good they are. These people are called donkeys because they are, on average, about as intelligent as the animal in question.

Loose/Tight and Passive/Agressive:

These terms require a small amount of discussion in order to catergorize them properly because many people confuse them. First let's start by saying that Loose/Tigh describes the range of hands a player will play and Passive/Agressive is a description of HOW they play them.

For example someone who will play 3s9c preflop is loose. If he just calls the blind he's passive if he raises he's aggressive. This is just preflop of course. Most pros use the passive/aggressive descriptions twice. In our example say the loose-passive player limped in with with his 39 off suit. The flop comes A85 rainbow and he fires a pot size bet. This player is now considered loose-passive-aggressive. On the other hand say the player had AK and raised preflop but on the same flop he checks...this player is tight-agressive-passive but he bets the flop he's tight-aggressive-aggressive.

Weak-tight: usually refers to a rock...more like a boulder actually. This person is often easy to take advantage of because he is very tight. If he has AK and the flop comes Q84 if someone places a decent sized bet he will fold ather than calling to see if he can get A or K on the turn. This is a weakness because once people figure out that you play this way they can take advantage of it to steal pots with big bluffs knowing that you're not going to call if the flop lowballs and you've raised or called a raise preflop.
    Connectors
    pocket cards which can connect to make a straight

Suited Connectors,
    pocket cards that are both suited and can make a straight

Yes...and...err...no...
    connectors refer to cards that actually...connect...like 23, 45, 78, QJ, etc.
    If you had QT for example these aren't connectors they are one-aways, Q9 is two-aways, Q8 three-aways. While they all can connect to make a straight you truly want connectors rather than 1, 2 or 3 aways because they have the most chances of actually hitting the straight or the draw on the flop.
  • jurnalpokerjurnalpoker Pumpkin Posts: 6Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited April 2010
    nice, learn a lot from this....ty
  • Frankie01Frankie01 Loose Cannon Posts: 1Registered User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the info nicely done ;)
  • XlemorXXlemorX Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for this useful information..
  • YoobluesYooblues The One Who Knows It All Posts: 44Registered User Grasshopper
    edited September 2010
    River-rat
    aka being rivered
    a player(or players) that wins a hand on the river

Nice Catch - A polite substitute for "river rat" when all bets are in at the flop. Sounds like a compliment but really means "you fluke artist - didn't deserve that"

Hoping is not a strategy

• BenaGayleBenaGayle Muffin Posts: 1Facebook Connect User Muffin
    edited September 2010
    what do the stakes "2/4" or "25/50" for example actually mean?
    edited September 2010
    The numbers refer to the Small Blind and Big Blind at the table.

When cards are dealt then at least two players will pay that automatically, along with anyone who has joined before the next round is dealt.

Every player, unless there has been a raise, will pay the BB if they want to stay in the hand and see the flop.

There are excellent guides in the Poker Guides Forum that will explain practically everything you wish to know or learn about the game. They are well worth a read.
  • FuturizedFuturized The Boss Posts: 527Registered User Enthusiastic Expert
    edited March 2011
    Very informative and helpdful to know more about poker terms..
    thanks for sharing.
  • BarrelFactoryBarrelFactory Loose Cannon Posts: 6Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited July 2011
    BenaGayle wrote: »
    what do the stakes "2/4" or "25/50" for example actually mean?

those numbers refer to the small and big blinds.

and to the OP: the community cards are often called "the board"
  • djacuffdjacuff Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Facebook Connect User New to the Forums
    edited July 2011
    What is considered a "Big Win".
  • .Jecca..Jecca. Super Moderator Posts: 259Suspended User
    edited July 2011
    djacuff wrote: »

Awesome Win: 200%+ increase in your stack
    Huge Win: 100%+
    Great Win: 50%+
    Awesome Win: 20%+
    Big Win: 10%+

I hope this helps!
  • Rainafecari6368Rainafecari6368 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Facebook Connect User New to the Forums
    edited July 2011
    I dont understand why only some of the challenges register when I click on them...and also why it does not stay on that page...have to keep going to the left column to click on the challenges icon for each individual challenge...also, sometimes my profile pic is replaced by a red Zynga icon??
    edited July 2011
    I dont understand why only some of the challenges register when I click on them...and also why it does not stay on that page...have to keep going to the left column to click on the challenges icon for each individual challenge...also, sometimes my profile pic is replaced by a red Zynga icon??

I just tested a few times and they all register fine. So you may need to clear your cache and make sure your flash is fully updated. This would also help solve the red zynga icon issue.

As for the challenge screen, as soon as you click try it now the window does close and you have to go back and click the challenge button to accept another. Don't worry though his is not a bug:) It was intended to work that way.
  • rmbent4rmbent4 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited August 2011
    at the top of my name it says unregistered. what does this mean and how do i change it.
    edited August 2011
    This just means you haven't shared/registered your email address with Zynga. If you decide to share it, the tag will go away. If you choose not to share it, only you will see the tag. Other players will still see your level.

Try this and see if it clears out the unregistered label:

1. Click on your Facebook Account drop down menu and select account
    settings.
    2. Select the Notifications tab and scroll to the bottom of the screen.
    3. Under other Apps (bottom of page) "Texas HoldEm Poker" select the check mark box under the mail icon.

Save changes.

If that does not work, please let me know.

For a guide on this please check out:
    http://support.zynga.com/cp_articleview?gameId=1&Id=kA160000000GoqmCAC&lang=en_US&loc=en_US
  • chitarobbinchitarobbin Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited August 2012
    I think I did this yes thanks for this its really cool (fish: older term referring to a player without much experience) Thanks for all thispoker app
  • dominic001dominic001 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 3Registered User New to the Forums
    edited August 2012
    those numbers refer to the small and big blinds.

and to the OP: the community cards are often called "the board"
  • dominic001dominic001 Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 3Registered User New to the Forums
    edited October 2012
    Awesome Win: 200%+ increase in your stack
    Huge Win: 100%+
    Great Win: 50%+
    Awesome Win: 20%+
    Big Win: 10%+

I hope this helps!
    edited October 2012
  • Rick BulowRick Bulow Not a Title, but a Star Posts: 1Registered User New to the Forums
    edited October 2012
    Got a few more terms for you (First three are obvious. Next three I provided a definition in case you had not heard them before):

Big Slick
    Cowboys
    Pocket Rockets
    The Doyle Brunson (10-2 of any suit; used by Brunson in winning the World Series of Poker in 1976 and 1977)
    The Doyle Brunson 2 (Ace-Queen of any suit; Brunson said he tries to never play this hand)
    Kid Dynamite (Hold cards pair of Jacks)