Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of spam emails telling that your account will be receiving Poker rewards.
Click HERE to know more about it.

How To Sense Pocket Cards

BIG-SliCK WellsBIG-SliCK Wells Loose CannonPosts: 2Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
edited July 2011 in Guides & Poker Strategy
Wow, I typed out a huge response, and it didn't post.

Retyping it:
When playing pocket pairs, it boils down to whether you have a big pair or mini pair. The big pairs are QQ, KK, AA. The safest way to play these for most newer players is to try and get all your chips in preflop. It's not the most effective way of playing them, but it's the easiest for someone not well versed. After that, we have two more sets of cards, {JJ, 1010, 99} and {22-88}. They're played pretty much the same, but the first set is reasonably stronger and is, at times, worth calling/raising all in.

The second set, {22-88} is a little more technical to play. A new player should probably call a small raise, or be the first person to raise. If anyone reraises, you should fold. When the flop comes down, you're looking to hit three of a kind. You should almost ALWAYS bet at the flop with a pocket pair as you might chase everyone off the hand, even if you missed your set.

How you finish the flop, play the turn and river depends on the betting on the flop. If you hit your trips, most of the time you're trying to just bet big and make people give you their money. If there are flush draws or straight draws on the board, bet even bigger. If you get called on the flop and haven't hit your trips, just check/fold the turn and river. Now, if you're holding something like 88 and the flop comes down 2h4dQs and someone calls your bet, you should *usually* bet again on the river. Even in the case of having 88 and seeing a flop of 49Q and getting called, you're still in good position to bet on the river.

Edit again! Forgot to post this image of a really frustrating week I had playing on PokerStars. Every red tinted line is a hand I lost.
pocketaces.png

Comments

• star star moonstar star moon The Side Pot Sage Posts: 261Registered User Gabby Enthusiast
    edited June 2011
    you got pocket rockets 11 times in a week!!!!
  • Lass of EireLass of Eire Forum Meister Posts: 397Facebook Connect User Social Snowflake
    edited June 2011
    you got pocket rockets 11 times in a week!!!!

That's only about 2400 hands, discounting variance. That's 6 hours of Rush Poker or 6 hours if I multi 4 tables or 24 hours on a single table. I would play 50 to 60 hours a week before we got the ax.

Real money stats would look totally different.
  • SarosetSaroset Loose Cannon Posts: 2Facebook Connect User Not a Title, but a Star
    edited June 2011
    That's only about 2400 hands, discounting variance. That's 6 hours of Rush Poker or 6 hours if I multi 4 tables or 24 hours on a single table. I would play 50 to 60 hours a week before we got the ax.

Real money stats would look totally different.

Yup! The data for that image is actually only from PokerStars two cent and ten cent buy in tournaments.

And a correction. Where I said:
    Now, if you're holding something like 88 and the flop comes down 2h4dQs and someone calls your bet, you should *usually* bet again on the river. Even in the case of having 88 and seeing a flop of 49Q and getting called, you're still in good position to bet on the river.

I meant turn instead of river in both cases.
  • tomdwanetomdwane Pumpkin Posts: 8Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited July 2011
  • cold4betcold4bet Forum Traveller Posts: 18Registered User
    edited July 2011
    "I Gotta A Feelin ohh oooo"
  • BarrelFactoryBarrelFactory Loose Cannon Posts: 6Registered User Loose Cannon
    edited July 2011
    in my experience, when you have a feeling that somebody has a pocket pair, and you have at least one overcard to that pocket pair (say your K2), you're very close to 50/50 to hit a flop where either you make a hand better than their pocket pair, or the pocket pair hand looks so bad to them that they just give up the pot.