The *MOST* Important Thing to Improve Gameplay at Any Level! by killumshannon (2016 update)
Original Publication Date: October 2012
This guide was so helpful me when I started playing FV2! The original thread and its links have been borked by the forum migration, and I have officially lost hope that anyone in charge is going to do anything to fix it. BUT I found it cross-posted over at freetoplaymmorpgs and thought I'd share it back over here for people looking for the information (over 87,000 views on the original guide!!!).
Full credit to @killumshannon and many community members back in 2012 for the information in this guide.
Mods - please delete this thread IF the original guides are ever restored!
There are a lot of tips & tricks in this forum – ways to maximize things & take play to the highest level. But I figured I’d give a few of the tips I’ve found to be the BEST as far as general gameplay – those suggestions that will make the game MUCH more enjoyable for even the casual daily player:
- FERTILIZE EVERYTHING!
It doubles the yield of your crops and improves the yield chances of trees for the same amount of water and time. It’s the biggest no-brainer in the game!
You need a lot of fertilizer to do this, so you need a good supply of fast-producing animals that give copious amounts of fertilizer in addition to their normal goods.
- These tend to be Rhode Island Red chickens/Saanen goats at lower levels, and Gold-laced Cochin chickens/Nubian goats at higher levels.
NOTE: Black Sultan Chickens should drop more fertilizer than Gold-laced Cochin (100% chance of 2 vs. 30% chance of 3).
- Some LE animals from time to time might beat these, but the most important thing to look for in the purchase screen is fertilizers given and time to hunger. Cows, for example, might give more fertilizer per feeding than chickens, but they only get hungry ever 3-4 hours or more, whereas chickens (for the most part) get hungry every 5 -15 minutes. Keep this in mind when deciding how to keep your fertilizer levels up! You NEVER want to be caught without enough fertilizer to at least fertilize every single crop you plant every single time you plant it.
- FarmBuck animals will out-produce their coin counterparts in fertilizer production in every class (they provide 2 fertilizer per feeding for both goats and chickens), but they also cost FB. That decision is up to you
- Whether or not you want to keep some cows, LE animals, prized animals, etc., you should make sure you keep enough 5 -15 minute chickens and 15-minute goats to keep your fertilizer at 100 in between plantings/harvests.
- CLEAR YOUR INBOX OFTEN!
Not only do you help your friends doing this, but you progress your game play. Never let your inbox get to 200 if you can help it – as soon as it gets to 200, you start losing stuff and start hurting your friends. It’s a really good idea to clear your inbox twice in a row when it’s gone up to 200 messages; you might have as many as 75-80 messages in your box immediately after you cleared it. Clearing it twice in a row instead of just once will free up all that space for requests you can benefit from
- SPEND YOUR RESOURCES BEFORE CLEARING YOUR INBOX! THIS IS HUGE, HUGE, HUGE.
If you have 30 waters and 30 in inventory and 12 bottles, you will lose out on MANY waters and bottles when you clear your inbox. Spend your water and your bottles (if you need them) BEFORE clearing your inbox each time – with 200 messages, you can get 20 or more water and 6-12 bottles just by clearing your inbox. If you are full when you do it, those resources are LOST!
- CLEAR YOUR INBOX 2-3 TIMES IN A ROW, or until it says you have no requests.
Sometimes – especially after you sent your gifts to everyone, those silly “thank yous” will clog your inbox and they won’t always show up right away. You might have 200 messages the first time, then like 7-8 immediately after that, then 150 immediately after that. If you only clear your inbox once, you could end up with space for only 50 new requests. This is kind of a “glitch” in the programming – but DON’T TRUST THE MESSAGE INDICATOR NUMBER! The inbox is perhaps the most beneficial thing to you & your friends in the game – keeping it clear will give you the most resources, AND help your friends out the most. If you’ve cleared it within the past 20 minutes or so it’s not a big deal, but if it’s been a while, make sure to clear it 2-3 times in a row!
NOTE: The Inbox and its limits have changed since this guide was created. See the excellent Inbox Guide by @Forevever for more information.